Plot of Engine Speed vs. Fuel Consumption

Old April 16th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Plot of Engine Speed vs. Fuel Consumption

"ecarecar" > wrote in message
et...
<...>
> After years - literally YEARS - of searching, I found information that
> served my purposes.
>
> This will get you from 0 km/hr to 60 km/hr
> http://www.jari.jp/pdf/rt2005/09Fu_eng.pdf
>
> This will get you from 50 km/hr to 140 km/hr
> http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...consumptio.htm
>
> The first, as you might have guess, is from Japan. The second is from
> Germany.

This second link doesn't work for me. Even after correcting obvious
spelling errors. Could you try again?
Thanks.

--
Graham W. www.gcw.org.uk Homebuilt Computer cooling. DIY projects
Wimborne. www.wessex-astro.org.uk Society website, meetings,

Old April 16th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ecarecar

"www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/fuel_consumptio.html"

Old April 16th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ecarecar

Gordon McGrew wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 04:06:26 -0700 (PDT), ACAR
> wrote:
>

>>On Apr 12, 4:49 pm, ecarecar > wrote:
>>

>>>I am looking for a plot of engine speed vs. fuel consumption. Is one
>>>available anywhere? I am not at all picky about what specific engine.
>>>

>>I suspect Universities that compete in building very fuel efficient
>>vehicles (esp. hybrids) would have this information available to the
>>public.
>>
>>Marine applications may be a source, too.
>>
>>Maybe Briggs & Stratton has that info. for their lawn mower engines.
>>

>Here is a plot of Brake Specific Fuel Consumption vs. rpm for a VW TDI
>engine.
>
>http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208125
>
>BSFC is the measure of how much fuel is being consumed per unit power
>generated - a true fuel efficiency measurement. To get an absolute
>fuel consumption rate, you could multiply the BSFC by power at a given
>rpm. Of course this all assumes wide open throttle. If you are
>running at a lower power setting, the absolute fuel consumption will
>be lower. I would guess that BSFC might be higher or lower depending
>on the way the engine is set up.
>

>Maybe the OP could tell us exactly what he wants to know.

This is WOT? Therefore, it is also full throttle ignition advance?
The bottom of the curve is quite narrow.
Old April 17th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:46:40 -0400, ecarecar >
wrote:

>Gordon McGrew wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 04:06:26 -0700 (PDT), ACAR
> wrote:

>>>I suspect Universities that compete in building very fuel efficient
>>>vehicles (esp. hybrids) would have this information available to the
>>>public.
>>>
>>>Marine applications may be a source, too.
>>>
>>>Maybe Briggs & Stratton has that info. for their lawn mower engines.
>>>

>>Here is a plot of Brake Specific Fuel Consumption vs. rpm for a VW TDI
>>engine.
>>
>>http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208125
>>
>>BSFC is the measure of how much fuel is being consumed per unit power
>>generated - a true fuel efficiency measurement. To get an absolute
>>fuel consumption rate, you could multiply the BSFC by power at a given
>>rpm. Of course this all assumes wide open throttle. If you are
>>running at a lower power setting, the absolute fuel consumption will
>>be lower. I would guess that BSFC might be higher or lower depending
>>on the way the engine is set up.
>>

>>Maybe the OP could tell us exactly what he wants to know.
>>

>This is WOT? Therefore, it is also full throttle ignition advance?
>The bottom of the curve is quite narrow.

Well actually it is a diesel so there is no throttle (my bad) and no
ignition. What I should have said is that I assume this curve is for
maximum power setting.

Again, it is not clear exactly what you are trying to show/learn here.
For example, are you interested in fuel consumption at various engine
speeds or car speeds?

Old April 17th 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Apr 12, 4:49 pm, ecarecar > wrote:
> I am looking for a plot of engine speed vs. fuel consumption. Is one
> available anywhere? I am not at all picky about what specific engine.

By laws of aerodynamics, air drag is proportionate to the square of
the object's velocity. If the speed is doubled, then it requires a
quadrupled energy to overcome the drag. At the same time, the object
travels twice the distance. Spending four times the amount of energy
to propel the object twice the distance means the energy efficiency is
cut in half.

Likewise, if the object's velocity is trippled then energy efficiency
is reduced to one third.. and so on...

In automobile, rolling friction is also a factor but it's a linear
drag, while air drag is a quadratic drag. The combined result is
closer to the air drag only model.

In layman terms, if you've got a car that does 30 mpg at 60 mph, then
you can expect 15 mpg at 120 mph. It can be more or less, depending on
the efficiency of the engine's combustion chambers, and its own
internal friction at higher rpm

Old April 17th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

"ecarecar" > wrote in message
news
> "www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/fuel_consumptio.html"
>

> lid wrote:
>
>> "ecarecar" > wrote in message
>> et...
>> <...>
>>
>>> After years - literally YEARS - of searching, I found information that
>>> served my purposes.
>>>
>>> This will get you from 0 km/hr to 60 km/hr

http://www.jari.jp/pdf/rt2005/09Fu_eng.pdf

>>> This will get you from 50 km/hr to 140 km/hr
>>> http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...consumptio.htm
>>>
>>> The first, as you might have guess, is from Japan. The second is from
>>> Germany.

>> This second link doesn't work for me. Even after correcting obvious
>> spelling errors. Could you try again?
>> Thanks.

That works!! And so does the other one now if I edit an 'L' where needed.
It didn't work before.

Thanks again.

Old April 18th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ecarecar

Gordon McGrew wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:46:40 -0400, ecarecar >
>wrote:
>

>>Gordon McGrew wrote:

>>>Here is a plot of Brake Specific Fuel Consumption vs. rpm for a VW TDI
>>>engine.
>>>
>>>http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208125
>>>
>>>BSFC is the measure of how much fuel is being consumed per unit power
>>>generated - a true fuel efficiency measurement. To get an absolute
>>>fuel consumption rate, you could multiply the BSFC by power at a given
>>>rpm. Of course this all assumes wide open throttle. If you are
>>>running at a lower power setting, the absolute fuel consumption will
>>>be lower. I would guess that BSFC might be higher or lower depending
>>>on the way the engine is set up.
>>>

>>>Maybe the OP could tell us exactly what he wants to know.
>>>

>>This is WOT? Therefore, it is also full throttle ignition advance?
>>The bottom of the curve is quite narrow.
>>

>Well actually it is a diesel so there is no throttle (my bad) and no
>ignition. What I should have said is that I assume this curve is for
>maximum power setting.
>
>Again, it is not clear exactly what you are trying to show/learn here.
>For example, are you interested in fuel consumption at various engine
>speeds or car speeds?

I don't know which chart you mean. Not all the cars in the top chart at

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...onsumptio.html

are diesel.
Old April 18th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:51:12 -0400, ecarecar >
wrote:

>Gordon McGrew wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:46:40 -0400, ecarecar >
>>wrote:

>>>This is WOT? Therefore, it is also full throttle ignition advance?
>>>The bottom of the curve is quite narrow.
>>>

>>Well actually it is a diesel so there is no throttle (my bad) and no
>>ignition. What I should have said is that I assume this curve is for
>>maximum power setting.
>>
>>Again, it is not clear exactly what you are trying to show/learn here.
>>For example, are you interested in fuel consumption at various engine
>>speeds or car speeds?
>>

>I don't know which chart you mean. Not all the cars in the top chart at
>
>http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...onsumptio.html
>
>are diesel.

I was talking about the chart I linked to above:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208125

(You have to page down a couple times to see it.)

Fuel Consumption RPM MPH galsaba Technology 4 August 10th 06 08:36 PM
Fuel consumption of 5.0 ltr GBR Ford Mustang 11 February 24th 06 07:22 AM
Fuel Consumption Dgethin 4x4 2 January 30th 06 02:51 PM
GT - Fuel consumption Robo Alfa Romeo 11 January 28th 05 04:31 PM
fuel consumption of 3.2l GT? Thomas Hahn Alfa Romeo 7 June 12th 04 07:49 PM