Negotiating for a Honda Fit

Old June 15th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chris[_22_]

Default Negotiating for a Honda Fit

I'm in the market to purchase/finance a 2007 Honda Fit Sport, manual
transmission, in red. Since filling out a questionnaire on an
automobile web site the other week, I've received emails from a number
of Honda dealers within an hour's drive of me. I've been in email
correspondence with these dealers to check on pricing and
availability.

I'm getting similar responses from all dealers regarding availability
(none in stock, difficult to obtain, should be able to get one within
a few weeks) and pricing (basically, MSRP).

All of the dealers are commenting that there are no specials or
discounts on this particular model. Is that really the case?

I wouldn't consider negotiating to be one of my strengths. Should I
assume that the similar pricing I'm getting from all of the dealers is
what I should expect to pay? Or are these prices negotiable?

If not a lower price, I figured I would try to negotiate some
accessories (all-season floor mats, cargo cover, cargo tray, full nose
mark, and rear bumper appliqué). Is even that a reasonable tactic for
this model vehicle?

Thanks!

Old June 15th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_8_]

Offer invoice, or invoice plus $150. Some dealers will call this "fleet
pricing". I went into a Jeep dealer a few years ago, and all the vehicles
had window stickers saying MSRP plus a couple thousand dollars "market rate
adjustment". We had them down to invoice plus $150 in about fifteen
minutes. Your secret weapon is to threaten to leave when they don't give
you the price you want, and mean it.

You are looking at a boutique car, and you should be willing to pay boutique
prices to get one. That is what the dealer thinks. But they can smell
cash. How bad do you want it?

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

ups.com...

Old June 15th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Larry[_4_]

"Chris" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Expect to pay MSRP or very close to it. The Fit is extremely popular and if
you don't buy it, there is someone else willing to pay. Carsdirect.com is a
pretty good barometer of what models cost, which will seel a Fit at MSRP.
Edmunds.com shows that others are paying $135 below MSRP, which isn't much.
You will be hard pressed to find much inventory on the dealer's lots due to
their popularity. Good luck!

Old June 16th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Robert A. Cunningham

"Chris" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Chris,
I just got mine on June 9th. I had gotten internet quotes from five
dealers, and physically visited five dealers also (not all the same) Out of
the five dealers I visited only two had any in stock, and they just had one
each. The quotes were virtually identical, and I was ready to deal with one
dealer, who said he could deliver in a couple of hours, but then he jacked
up the price over $1100 from his previous quote by charging $480 for wheel
locks and $697 for special paint. I left there in a hurry and found another
dealer the same day who said I might have to wait 7-10 days. I got the car
three days later. I paid within $100.00 of full MSRP, he gave me a small
discount on the floor mats, other than that, everything was retail price.
I didn't try to get more off, I was just glad to get the car without the
dealer added crap. I love this car.

Robert A. Cunningham

Old June 16th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ecarecar

How do you find out who the "fleet manager" is?

How do you get to him?

Old June 16th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_8_]

"I want to pay fleet price, I have cash, pre-arranged financing, where is
your fleet manager?" If they act like they don't know what you are talking
about, head for the door.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

et...

Old June 16th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chris[_22_]

Thanks, everyone! There seems to be two different strategies/
experiences he
1. Find out the invoice/fleet price and don't pay much more than that.
2. Expect to pay MSRP and don't expect any free (or even discounted)
accessories.

Old June 17th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ecarecar

Maybe it's just me. Maybe for everybody else it would be different.

For me, they would act like they don't know what I'm talking about. Then,
I would go to the next dealer, and they would act like they don't know what
I'm talking about.
etc.
etc.

Carsdirect, I guess.

Or, I suppose, I could mumble something about Carsdirect.com just
before I turn
and head out the door.

Old June 17th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_1_]

If you ask for a kiss, you might get that for free... otherwise expect to
pay MSRP or more.

Until the supply over runs the demand, I've seen a total of one on the
local dealer's floor in the last 12 months; there will be no negotiating
price on the Fit.

There is very little profit for the dealer in the MSRP, as it is. Your
best bet is to walk into the dealer with cash in hand, and don't be picky
about the color.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old June 18th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

Wait until supply catches up with demand. Or buy your second choice car.

"Chris" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Some stellar curve negotiating skills (pics) 223rem[_2_] Driving 10 November 8th 06 08:39 PM
Negotiating a Price Bob Smith BMW 1 April 20th 06 02:09 AM
Negotiating a Price Bob Smith BMW 5 April 19th 06 04:54 PM
Negotiating with a dealer Amanda Robin BMW 21 July 24th 05 03:07 AM