C4 1990: Steam cleaning engine

Old March 19th 07, 05:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
haigoo

Default C4 1990: Steam cleaning engine

Hello

Was wondering if anyone has any bad experiences with steam cleaning
their engine, particularly on C4's. I heard somewhere that there's a
problem with the car not able to start after doing the cleaning. Is
this true? is there something I can do to prevent this problem (other
than not doing the steam cleaning)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Garry

Old March 19th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Empty3

"Ric Seyler" > wrote in message
>I don't know off the top of my head if the '90 has the OptiSpark.
> If so, that's a BIG NO NO!! Don't do it! Could cost you several
> hundred dollars.
>
> haigoo wrote:

No Opti-Spark on the 1990. I have one.
I"ve washed the engine with no problems, but I do take care to cover the
districbutor cap area
very well.

Empty3

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler

Old March 19th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ric Seyler

Old March 19th 07, 11:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Wolfman

Just don't over do it on the electrical connectors...also even with the
distributer covered you may get some condensation inside the distributer..if
it is hard or won't start just dry out the inside of the cap or just wait a
couple of hours or so..Usually this is not a problem with regular Gunk/water
hose washing but be careful with the pressure wash..that blast of hi
pressure can force it's way into places that should not get wet.

Old March 20th 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Wolfman wrote:
> Just don't over do it on the electrical connectors...also even with the
> distributer covered you may get some condensation inside the
> distributer..if it is hard or won't start just dry out the inside of the
> cap or just wait a couple of hours or so..Usually this is not a problem
> with regular Gunk/water hose washing but be careful with the pressure
> wash..that blast of hi pressure can force it's way into places that
> should not get wet.

Alternator: Shield it as best you can
before cleaning. Give it several blasts
with a hair dryer after you're finished.

No hair dryer -- use a shop heat gun but
at a distance.

--
PJ
'89 auto-cpe, '02 e-blu-6spd.

Engine Bay Cleaning... Dangermouse VW air cooled 0 March 12th 07 01:28 AM
Cleaning An Engine phaeton Technology 5 November 6th 06 11:33 PM
Cleaning the engine compartment Fritz Wagner BMW 8 April 20th 05 05:04 AM
engine cleaning additive Jack Izer Dodge 1 April 16th 04 09:25 PM