My impression of the New Mustang

Old November 12th 04, 06:03 AM
boB

Default My impression of the New Mustang

I drove a GT this evening. It only had 450 miles on it, so I didn't
want to really thrash it before break in. Not my car. Not like my
impression is worth a lot, but here it is anyway.

What I liked:

Front grill/fascia, and rear fascia: This is what attracted me to the
car to begin with. I've been driving old Mustangs for decades, and this
just looks great.
Dash: Looks great, easy to read, not too busy.
Drive train: Pulls well to 5,000, shifts very smoothly. A little too
quiet maybe. Very easy to drive, with an extremly smooth clutch.
Suspension: Wow, this is where this car really shines. It takes hard
corners really well with a strong feeling of confidence. Even fast
corners over rough pavement were easy.

What I didn't like:

Front fenders: Too boxy looking, too square. Looks a lot like the new
M300.
Hood: Too flat. Needs a small scoop or a shaker.
Seats: you sit on them, not in them. Not enough lateral support for
the corners that the suspension is capable of. They were also a little
hard to sit on.
Exhaust: Definatly needs a better sound.

Will I buy one? No, I don't think so. It didn't give me a woody.
Maybe when the SVO version comes out. Or maybe a MachI.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old November 12th 04, 07:00 PM
Mike R

In article > , boB
> wrote:

> I drove a GT this evening. It only had 450 miles on it, so I didn't
> want to really thrash it before break in. Not my car. Not like my
> impression is worth a lot, but here it is anyway.
>
> What I liked:
>
> Front grill/fascia, and rear fascia: This is what attracted me to the
> car to begin with. I've been driving old Mustangs for decades, and this
> just looks great.
> Dash: Looks great, easy to read, not too busy.
> Drive train: Pulls well to 5,000, shifts very smoothly. A little too
> quiet maybe. Very easy to drive, with an extremly smooth clutch.
> Suspension: Wow, this is where this car really shines. It takes hard
> corners really well with a strong feeling of confidence. Even fast
> corners over rough pavement were easy.

Although I have mixed thoughts about the 05 retro look, I do like the way
the roofline slopes toward the rear. I never really cared for the 94-04
roofline, although the convertibles looked good...With the top down that
is...

> What I didn't like:
>
> Front fenders: Too boxy looking, too square. Looks a lot like the new
> M300.
> Hood: Too flat. Needs a small scoop or a shaker.
> Seats: you sit on them, not in them. Not enough lateral support for
> the corners that the suspension is capable of. They were also a little
> hard to sit on.
> Exhaust: Definatly needs a better sound.

The Mustang exhaust mufflers are now located behind the axle inches away
from the rear bumper. I have not yet heard the exhaust note, since I've
only seen the V6s. I've heard it's different. As a teenager in the late
60s, the V8 Mustang signature exhaust tone lured me toward this car. I
hope Ford hasn't screwed this up. Some things should just be left alone.
If it aint broke......

Another interesting note is the accelerator pedal is no longer coupled to
the throttle by mechanical means. It now uses electronic throttle control
for sensing pedal position. I kinda prefer mechanical myself but...

--
Mike
93 Cobra