Stripped Thread Help

Old December 12th 04, 04:09 PM
Tony

Default Stripped Thread Help

I have a 1979 Chev K10 with front wheel locking hubs.

The locknut and spindle thread (at the outer edge) has been partially
stripped. The thread that is not damaged is still usable. I cannot
remove the inner adjusting not because of the stripped portion. I have
tried to grind the stripped thread away (protecting the good thread by
undoing the adjusting nut up to the stripped thread) using carbide
grinding bits. All I have achieved is destroying the bits and polishing
the stripped thread.

I cannot use a steel file because the access is limited.

How can I remove the stripped thread? I believe the spindle is forged
steel. I have contemplated using a cold steel chisel, but do not want
to attempt until I have more info on possible solutions.
Hoping someone can help
Regards
Tony

Old December 12th 04, 07:00 PM
pater

On something that old I'd get to a boneyard & buy a spindle &
associated parts needed first, then destroy them if you need to to get
it apart. You will find that the spindle itself unbolts from the actual
steering knuckle so all is just nuts & bolts. For the bearings, I'd
check on new stuff there but providing you didn't spin a bearing, your
rotor will be reuseable. Good luck.

Old December 13th 04, 05:32 AM
Tony

Tks for the advice.

Old December 14th 04, 09:16 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Tony" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 1979 Chev K10 with front wheel locking hubs.
>
> The locknut and spindle thread (at the outer edge) has been partially
> stripped. The thread that is not damaged is still usable. I cannot
> remove the inner adjusting not because of the stripped portion. I have
> tried to grind the stripped thread away (protecting the good thread by
> undoing the adjusting nut up to the stripped thread) using carbide
> grinding bits.

You can't use carbide grinding bits on something like this.

What would work is to use a high speed cutting wheel (cut off tool) run the
nut out to the end of the good threads, then use the cutoff tool to make
a deep cut into the nut, then a hammer and chisel will split the nut. This
will
allow you to get everything apart.

Ted

Stripped Spindle Thread Help Tony 4x4 3 December 13th 04 05:31 AM
How can I remove a stripped wheel stud? HerHusband VW water cooled 14 December 11th 04 07:33 PM
Stud stripped on my 1600 cc oil billet cover plate Chuck Townsley VW air cooled 6 November 25th 04 05:03 PM
another 156 cambelt thread... NC Alfa Romeo 15 June 15th 04 11:05 AM
Car Wax - 04 Thread Johnny Hashbrowns General 3 May 17th 04 02:05 AM