The visible Volkswagen

Old November 10th 04, 02:06 PM
Jeckler

Default The visible Volkswagen

Here in San Jose is a museum for kids called, ironically enough, "The
Children's Discovery Museum". http://www.cdm.org Inside are all kinds
of neat things for little kids (and not so little kids) to do. They
have electricity experiments like pulling two bowling balls 45ft in
the air via pulley and rope, and when you let them go they turn a
generator which makes a ceiling fan spin and cools you off. Or the
water area where you put little balls in chutes of air and they get
tossed into a funnel of water to be sucked out the bottom. All kinds
of neat stuff.
Anyway, on the main drag, they set it up so there's an intersection
complete with traffic signals and crosswalks. On it they have a fire
truck and ambulance, but they also have a little stand called the
visible Volkswagen. It's a cut-away of the VW flat-four, showing the
way an internal combustion engine works. Maybe a few future 'dub
owners come away from checking that out.

Here's a couple pics:
http://madebyjenn.com/andy/VW/VW1.jpg
http://madebyjenn.com/andy/VW/VW2.jpg
Old November 10th 04, 03:19 PM
Howard Rose

On 10 Nov 2004 06:06:46 -0800, (Jeckler) wrote:

>Here in San Jose is a museum for kids called, ironically enough, "The
>Children's Discovery Museum".
http://www.cdm.org Inside are all kinds
>of neat things for little kids (and not so little kids) to do. They
>have electricity experiments like pulling two bowling balls 45ft in
>the air via pulley and rope, and when you let them go they turn a
>generator which makes a ceiling fan spin and cools you off. Or the
>water area where you put little balls in chutes of air and they get
>tossed into a funnel of water to be sucked out the bottom. All kinds
>of neat stuff.
>Anyway, on the main drag, they set it up so there's an intersection
>complete with traffic signals and crosswalks. On it they have a fire
>truck and ambulance, but they also have a little stand called the
>visible Volkswagen. It's a cut-away of the VW flat-four, showing the
>way an internal combustion engine works. Maybe a few future 'dub
>owners come away from checking that out.
>
>Here's a couple pics:
>http://madebyjenn.com/andy/VW/VW1.jpg
>http://madebyjenn.com/andy/VW/VW2.jpg

That's really cool! Reminds me of the cutaway '59 Mini they had in
the London Science Museum :-)

I wonder what the history of the engine is?

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old November 12th 04, 01:35 AM
Mark Detro

cool,

Here in Sarasota, FL there's an auto museum that has a working cutaway display
of a Mazda Rotary. Stuff like that definitly does help people better understand
the internals if you havent first hand torn one apart yet.
Mark Detro
Englewood, FL
Old November 12th 04, 06:34 AM
Bill Berckman

Mark Detro wrote:

>cool,
>
>Here in Sarasota, FL there's an auto museum that has a working cutaway
>display
>of a Mazda Rotary. Stuff like that definitly does help people better
>understand
>the internals if you havent first hand torn one apart yet.
>Mark Detro
>Englewood, FL

When I was a kid, they used to have those see through plastic models of an
engine that you could put together. Wonder if they still make those.
Bill Berckman
67 Beetle

Old November 12th 04, 11:43 PM
Stutzsr

Bill,
They also made the "Visible Woman" and "Visible Man." The visible V8 as
well. Great ways to learn "How things work." Good for spatial relationships.
Cool stuff....Eric 68 Bug 62 Ghia both topless
Old November 13th 04, 08:23 PM
MUADIB®

>When I was a kid, they used to have those see through plastic models of an
>engine that you could put together. Wonder if they still make those.

My brother had a clear plastic Wankle..............LOL

That sounds terrible to say that, but it's true.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....