Decoding VIN to paint color & Seeking General Advice on Used Accord 'EX Coupes

Old December 27th 04, 10:38 PM
SmarSquid

Default Decoding VIN to paint color & Seeking General Advice on Used Accord 'EX Coupes

I've been methodically (I'm not in a position of desperation) going through
the used car market in search of an Accord EX coupe. There is no shortage of
these cars on the market, of course, but it seems to me that the attractive
ones (reasonably low miles, 95-97 models) get sold right away. The others
are either out of my price range (98's and up), or the folks have asking
prices so ridiculous that my initial offer would come across as insulting
(even though I have done my homework and in fact my offer would be fair).
Funny thing is, I don't see a lot of these cars re-listed with modified
asking prices, so there must be a lot of dumb/desperate folks out there.
Maybe I'm misreading the market, but then I again I feel my expectations are
reasonable, and I believe in a mutually beneficial exhange. I also
aknowledge the existence of countless variables. Anyway...
I have an appointment tomorrow morning at a used car dealership - green '96
Accord EX coupe; 108K miles; 5-speed. Besides the color (which I can live
with), it is exactly what I want. However, I haven't seen the car yet. Is
there any way to determine the factory paint color from the VIN? My interest
is in discovering any repaints. If I can verify that the original color was
something else, I won't even bother going across town and looking.

Also, I'd be happy to take any tips on things to check or watch out for on a
car from this era and this mileage. The Carfax report is satisfactory.

The guy is asking $5,988. I know I won't pay that for the car, even if I
fall in love with it. Anybody care to chime in with their opinions of what a
reasonable price would be? I'm thinking $5K in a best-case scenario
(considering a sale from a dealer is likely to cost more than with a private
party for a similar car, no matter what).

Old December 28th 04, 04:16 AM
SoCalMike

SmarSquid wrote:
> I have an appointment tomorrow morning at a used car dealership - green '96
> Accord EX coupe; 108K miles; 5-speed. Besides the color (which I can live
> with), it is exactly what I want. However, I haven't seen the car yet. Is
> there any way to determine the factory paint color from the VIN? My interest

just the doorjamb. IIRC, its a deep metallic forest green. check the car
out, look for overspray, stuff like that.