What's the 'Must Have' service guide?

Old June 21st 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default What's the 'Must Have' service guide?

Hi all,

Who publishes the best, "must have" service guide for the Explorer?

Chilton? Someone else?

Old June 21st 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Malcolm Reynolds" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Who publishes the best, "must have" service guide for the Explorer?
>
> Chilton? Someone else?

Use the search keywords "ford explorer manual" on eBay for the Ford service
CD/DVD.
The same one's the dealers use.
They contain all the service info you would ever need to know.

Old June 21st 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"gordo" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Use the search keywords "ford explorer manual" on eBay for the Ford service CD/DVD.
> The same one's the dealers use.
> They contain all the service info you would ever need to know.

Thanks Gordo!

I'm having transmission shifting problems, I will check this out before I (gulp) take
it to get looked at by the local shop. The horror stories I've heard, where transmissions
are concerned....

Old June 22nd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I hope you don't have any real serious transmission problems, but brace
yourself just in case. My '94 Explorer had all kinds of tranny
problems and I had to have it replaced. One work of advice though, do
not buy a new transmission from Ford. It will end up giving you the
exact same problems as the one you currently have in there. Make sure
that the transmission you do get, it you have to, has had all the
upgrades done to it. That's what I did anyways on the recommendation
from the tranny shop.

Old June 22nd 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Jimmy the Hand wrote:
> I hope you don't have any real serious transmission problems, but brace
> yourself just in case. My '94 Explorer had all kinds of tranny
> problems and I had to have it replaced. One work of advice though, do
> not buy a new transmission from Ford. It will end up giving you the
> exact same problems as the one you currently have in there. Make sure
> that the transmission you do get, it you have to, has had all the
> upgrades done to it. That's what I did anyways on the recommendation
> from the tranny shop.

I've had the opposite experience with transmissions for my Chrysler
minivans.
The transmission shop recommended having my transmission rebuilt by
them, with "upgrades", at greater expense than having a factory reman
installed. It sounded good.

But it only lasted a year, the two factory remans lasted 4 or 5. I
would imagine the factory product is more predictable, your local shop
could well be better... or worse.
-Paul

Old June 22nd 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Jimmy the Hand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I hope you don't have any real serious transmission problems, but brace
> yourself just in case. My '94 Explorer had all kinds of tranny
> problems and I had to have it replaced. One work of advice though, do
> not buy a new transmission from Ford. It will end up giving you the
> exact same problems as the one you currently have in there. Make sure
> that the transmission you do get, it you have to, has had all the
> upgrades done to it. That's what I did anyways on the recommendation
> from the tranny shop.

My only problem has been a really hard shift from 1st into 2nd gear that just
started recently. I suspect it might be the Pennzoil "Multi-Vehicle" ATF fluid
that Jiffy Lube put in a few thousand miles back, but I want to get a
troubleshooting guide anyway and just in case that's not it.