Tire Preasure ?

Old August 16th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default Tire Preasure ?

Hey guys, I know the tire pressure question has been pretty much been beaten
like a dead horse here but I still have a question. What is the recommended
tire pressure (on the door sticker) for an NB with 16" wheels? My car I
believe, originally came with 14" wheels (base model 99) and I'm guessing
that it could very well be different.

Also, I'll be posting my opinion on 205/45/16 Goodyear F1 GS-D3's shortly!
This is the tire that won the most recent Car and Driver ultra high
performance tire test. So, I'm really psyq'd! I'm also going to a lighter
wheel (OZ ZUltaleggera) at 14.5 lbs each. I know I can get lighter wheels
but they all seemed either totally non-descript or super expensive. Most of
the 16" wheels out there are 21 to 23 lbs each. I'm thinking that this will
be a super set up for the street. But like I said, I'll be posting pretty
soon, hope to have them on by the end of the week.

Chris
99BBB

Old August 16th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Hey guys, I know the tire pressure question has been pretty much been beaten
> like a dead horse here but I still have a question. What is the recommended
> tire pressure (on the door sticker) for an NB with 16" wheels? My car I
> believe, originally came with 14" wheels (base model 99) and I'm guessing
> that it could very well be different.

I have no idea, but I would put them at 26 cold and adjust them a few
pounds each way until they feel best to you.
About 24 minimum and 29 max is what all of my tires have felt best at,
whether they were 14, 15 or 16 inches.

> Also, I'll be posting my opinion on 205/45/16 Goodyear F1 GS-D3's shortly!
> This is the tire that won the most recent Car and Driver ultra high
> performance tire test. So, I'm really psyq'd! I'm also going to a lighter
> wheel (OZ ZUltaleggera) at 14.5 lbs each. I know I can get lighter wheels
> but they all seemed either totally non-descript or super expensive. Most of
> the 16" wheels out there are 21 to 23 lbs each. I'm thinking that this will
> be a super set up for the street. But like I said, I'll be posting pretty
> soon, hope to have them on by the end of the week.
>

> Chris
> 99BBB

14.5 pounds is not heavy at all. The 1 inch smaller stock 15" miata
alloy wheel weighs 13.2 pounds, and the 2002 SE has 18 pound wheels on
it, as do all miatas with steelies.

Definitely keep us posted on the tire. I am overdue for replacement and
I am trying to decide between the Toyo TR-1's if they have my size and
the Hankooks, and now this Goodyear F1 GS-D3.
I would get the Yoko AVS-E100's again, but they do not come in my size.
(215/45/16)

Pat

Old August 17th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Pat, I've been reading C&D for most of my life and I really trust them on
comparison tests. You can check it out for yourself and see what you think.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...the-tread.html

Chris
99BBB

Old August 17th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Pat, I've been reading C&D for most of my life and I really trust them on
> comparison tests. You can check it out for yourself and see what you think.
>
> http://www.caranddriver.com/features...the-tread.html
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Sounds great!
I can't find it in 215/45/16, they do have it in my current size of
215/40/16, but I was hoping to up the profile just a bit.
A mere $134.00 each, the days of inexpensive, ($60.00 or less), 15"
performance tire replacements are over for me.
I'm just glad that I am not running 17's or 18's.....

Pat
Old August 23rd 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

One of the other most impressive tires in the test was the Hankook Ventus.
Read their take on it and maybe you'll decide your days of inexpensive tires
are not over! They really stack up well and they are fairly light too, IIRC.

Chris
99BBB

Old August 23rd 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> One of the other most impressive tires in the test was the Hankook Ventus.
> Read their take on it and maybe you'll decide your days of inexpensive tires
> are not over! They really stack up well and they are fairly light too, IIRC.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

I know a guy who swears by the Hankook Ventus. He has them on his BMW M
Roadster, a spec Miata and his daughter's Civic. His words, "at least as
grippy as any street performance tire made, at less cost in any given
size. Not the best rain tire, but not bad. Incredible in the dry.", or
something like that.

Unfortunately, they are only a little less than the ones that you
bought. They are $110.00 in 215/45/16.
The 215/40/16's are $90.00, which is getting back down there, but I
really wanted to increase the profile slightly. It looks like it will
cost $80.00 extra to do that unless there is a better source for them
than Discount Tire.
I will already be having them installed at a specialty shop that does a
super balance and alignment, so I don't care where I buy them.

I'll be paying a pretty good dollar amount for labor when it rolls out
the door, but this guy is an expert with the best equipment and I know
that he won't be teaching the new guy or girl how to dismount and mount
tires on my SSR Comps.
He will even torque the lug nuts to the proper specs, what a concept!

I still want a report on the tires you have coming first. It would be
about $85.00 more to put those on my car than the Hankooks. The Toyo
T1-R is also still a consideration if they have my size, even if Lanny
recommends it. ;-)

Pat

How to set tire pressure. was: Tire Pressure for '94 Cobra... Blue Mesteno Ford Mustang 1 May 21st 06 05:22 AM
concord,ca police department gives people tickets that have 525lbs. in a 1 ton pu truck and when the tire load range. on ea tire is 3042lbs. blue sky Driving 2 March 19th 06 06:58 PM
Tire life [email protected] Chrysler 72 October 8th 05 01:47 AM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 04:42 AM
Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette - Can anyone read? Tom in Missouri Corvette 0 August 10th 04 05:30 PM