A6 4.2 Transimission Problem

Old January 2nd 05, 10:37 PM
dph

Default A6 4.2 Transimission Problem

I have had trouble with my A6 4.2 automatic transmission for about a
year and the dealer can find nothing wrong.

Intermittently when I accelerate from a dead stop the transmission does
not deliver adequate power. Engine revs are appropriate for the speed
but it feels like I have started in 2 or 3 gear. There is just no
acceleration. With mild accelerator pressure the engine revs to 4000
then abruptly shifts to second. Power is then OK. If you really need
to you can push the accelerator hard and it like shifting down from a
higher gear.

This happens both when the car is cold and when it is hot.

The dealer has had it three times and finds no codes from the
transmission and they keep having me drive a mechanic around but of
course it won't happen then.

I am leaving it at the dealership this week and giving them permission
to drive it until they experience the problem.0

Anyone have any ideas what may be the cause?
Old January 3rd 05, 12:12 AM
daytripper

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:37:33 GMT, dph > wrote:

>I have had trouble with my A6 4.2 automatic transmission for about a
>year and the dealer can find nothing wrong.
>
>Intermittently when I accelerate from a dead stop the transmission does
>not deliver adequate power. Engine revs are appropriate for the speed
>but it feels like I have started in 2 or 3 gear. There is just no
>acceleration. With mild accelerator pressure the engine revs to 4000
>then abruptly shifts to second. Power is then OK. If you really need
>to you can push the accelerator hard and it like shifting down from a
>higher gear.
>
>This happens both when the car is cold and when it is hot.
>
>The dealer has had it three times and finds no codes from the
>transmission and they keep having me drive a mechanic around but of
>course it won't happen then.
>
>I am leaving it at the dealership this week and giving them permission
>to drive it until they experience the problem.0
>
>Anyone have any ideas what may be the cause?

Does your A6 have DSC? Can it be shut off from a dash switch? Try shutting it
off and see if anything changes...
Old January 3rd 05, 05:31 AM
dph

daytripper wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:37:33 GMT, dph > wrote:
>

>>I have had trouble with my A6 4.2 automatic transmission for about a
>>year and the dealer can find nothing wrong.
>>
>>Intermittently when I accelerate from a dead stop the transmission does
>>not deliver adequate power. Engine revs are appropriate for the speed
>>but it feels like I have started in 2 or 3 gear. There is just no
>>acceleration. With mild accelerator pressure the engine revs to 4000
>>then abruptly shifts to second. Power is then OK. If you really need
>>to you can push the accelerator hard and it like shifting down from a
>>higher gear.
>>
>>This happens both when the car is cold and when it is hot.
>>
>>The dealer has had it three times and finds no codes from the
>>transmission and they keep having me drive a mechanic around but of
>>course it won't happen then.
>>
>>I am leaving it at the dealership this week and giving them permission
>>to drive it until they experience the problem.0
>>
>>Anyone have any ideas what may be the cause?

> Does your A6 have DSC? Can it be shut off from a dash switch? Try shutting it
> off and see if anything changes...

I haven't tried. If it does and it solves the problems what does it imply?
Old January 3rd 05, 05:32 AM
dph

Old January 3rd 05, 05:08 PM
daytripper

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 04:32:12 GMT, dph > wrote:

>daytripper wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:37:33 GMT, dph > wrote:
>>

>>>I have had trouble with my A6 4.2 automatic transmission for about a
>>>year and the dealer can find nothing wrong.
>>>
>>>Intermittently when I accelerate from a dead stop the transmission does
>>>not deliver adequate power. Engine revs are appropriate for the speed
>>>but it feels like I have started in 2 or 3 gear. There is just no
>>>acceleration. With mild accelerator pressure the engine revs to 4000
>>>then abruptly shifts to second. Power is then OK. If you really need
>>>to you can push the accelerator hard and it like shifting down from a
>>>higher gear.
>>>
>>>This happens both when the car is cold and when it is hot.
>>>
>>>The dealer has had it three times and finds no codes from the
>>>transmission and they keep having me drive a mechanic around but of
>>>course it won't happen then.
>>>
>>>I am leaving it at the dealership this week and giving them permission
>>>to drive it until they experience the problem.0
>>>
>>>Anyone have any ideas what may be the cause?

>> Does your A6 have DSC? Can it be shut off from a dash switch? Try shutting it
>> off and see if anything changes...

>I haven't tried. If it does and it solves the problems what does it imply?

A faulty wheel speed sensor could cause DSC to cut power and apply selective
wheel braking to "correct for" non-existent wheel-spin...