So, it may not be the BCM problem, what else?

Old October 9th 04, 06:00 PM
Kaidi

Default So, it may not be the BCM problem, what else?

Hello!

First thanks for The Bathtub Admiral for giving me the suggestion to
check around the PCB for all the solder joints for this problem.
Before I start to do that, anyone has any other ideas on my car
problem so that I can try to do them together when I take the car
apart? Thanks a lot.

Intrepid 97, 130K miles.

Problems:
1) windshield wiper starts as soon as I start the car, will not stop.
2) the interior lights do not work.
3) Gas and speed meters (sometimes other meters join the party too) on
the cluster panel seem funny and shake around even the car stays still
on ground.
4) Power door locks do not work. (power window work)
5) The sound from engine sounds like running not stable (sometimes
faster, sometimes slower).
6) If I drive it, some kind of "choking" sound from the below of the
car, and the car drives like hitting a rock every several seconds.
7) If I take off the BCM and start the car, the meters on the cluster
panel have no readings, and all other problem exist.

Have checked:
1) multi function switch and the headlights switch, seem OK. (all
problems still exist even if I take these two off).
2) changed the BCM (got one from junk yard), all problems still exist.
3) all fuses seem OK. I also tried to switch the relays in the power
box to see if anything will happen, seems no difference.
4) I checked the battery and its grounding, seems OK.

A small painfull video is here if you like to have a look (each about
550K, same content, different video format):
http://www2.uic.edu/~kzhao3/carproblem.rm
http://www2.uic.edu/~kzhao3/carproblem.wmv

So, any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot and have a great weekend.
Old October 10th 04, 08:04 AM
The Bathtub Admiral

Because the BCM is but one of many items on the network, your going to have
to find out if the network is intact if there is a short in the twisted CCD
wires anywhere and if any node is screwing things up for the rest. This is
where you need a scan tool basically, no real way around it. Have you
checked for codes by cycling the key on-off-on-off-on and counting the 2
digit flashes?
om...

Old October 10th 04, 08:04 AM
The Bathtub Admiral

Because the BCM is but one of many items on the network, your going to have
to find out if the network is intact if there is a short in the twisted CCD
wires anywhere and if any node is screwing things up for the rest. This is
where you need a scan tool basically, no real way around it. Have you
checked for codes by cycling the key on-off-on-off-on and counting the 2
digit flashes?
om...

Old October 10th 04, 06:40 PM
Kaidi

Yes, I have tried the key on off way, it only has the code saying
battery disconnected recently. No other code.

I will start to check the PCM this afternoon (cause it just came to my
mind that just before all these problem started, I accidently dropped
some coolant outside the coolant tank. Since PCM is quite near that, I
may first check it. I will update the info later when I take it off.

Thanks a lot. :-)

Old October 10th 04, 06:40 PM
Kaidi

Old October 10th 04, 10:26 PM
mic canic

check for loose grounds under the center console in front of the shifter

Old October 10th 04, 10:26 PM
mic canic