147 ABS/VCD Failure

Old July 7th 05, 10:13 AM
Kenny Ferguson

Default 147 ABS/VCD Failure

Hi, can anyone offer advice on an intermittent VCD failure on alfa 147.
Basically started out as the VCD failing at startup. The garage diagnostic
said yaw sensor failure (replaced). Car worked for 10 mins till first bump
in road! I recently drove 1000 miles on it and the VCD worked more than it
failed, but made the ABS brakes eratic...ie cut in when totally unnecessary
(70mph on straight dual carriage way!). The car then worked perfectly for a
few short trips. Now the startup check fails the ABS and VCD. Any advice
greatly appreciated as last trip to garage was totally unsuccessful.

Kenny

Old July 7th 05, 11:09 AM
Simon C

I get exactly the same with my '02 156. Within seconds of starting up the
warning lights come on. I've had it looked at and the sensor changed three
times....get used to it!!!

Cheers
Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
To reply: remove nospam. from the address

Old July 7th 05, 01:40 PM
Catman

Kenny Ferguson wrote:

> Hi, can anyone offer advice on an intermittent VCD failure on alfa 147.
> Basically started out as the VCD failing at startup. The garage diagnostic
> said yaw sensor failure (replaced). Car worked for 10 mins till first bump
> in road! I recently drove 1000 miles on it and the VCD worked more than
> it failed, but made the ABS brakes eratic...ie cut in when totally
> unnecessary
> (70mph on straight dual carriage way!). The car then worked perfectly for
> few short trips. Now the startup check fails the ABS and VCD. Any advice
> greatly appreciated as last trip to garage was totally unsuccessful.

Sounds like a wheel sensor to me. Loose connection or similar.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 8th 05, 10:37 AM
Kenny Ferguson

Thanks for the advice. Are these easy to replace or best go to a garage?
Any good sites for buying parts online?

Kenny

Old July 8th 05, 11:22 AM
Catman

Kenny Ferguson wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. Are these easy to replace or best go to a garage?
> Any good sites for buying parts online?

The problem will be finding the damn thing, I suspect. If it wer me, it
would be to the garage, but with someone I trust so it gets fixed as
opposed to raplcement of random parts with an ever increasing bill...

<snip>
Old September 29th 05, 08:36 PM
genie9823

"STORMY" wrote:
> Hi, can anyone offer advice on an intermittent VCD failure on
> alfa 147.
> Basically started out as the VCD failing at startup. The
> garage diagnostic
> said yaw sensor failure (replaced). Car worked for 10 mins
> till first bump
> in road! I recently drove 1000 miles on it and the VCD worked
> more than it
> failed, but made the ABS brakes eratic...ie cut in when
> totally unnecessary
> (70mph on straight dual carriage way!). The car then worked
> perfectly for a
> few short trips. Now the startup check fails the ABS and VCD.
> Any advice
> greatly appreciated as last trip to garage was totally
> unsuccessful.
>
> Kenny

I had a very similar problem on my 147 which has just come back from
service, I was expecting repair to be expensive but as it turned out
cost me next to nothing. They said something about simply reseting a
switch but wouldn’t go into detail about it.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Alfa-Romeo...ict127863.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=678545

Alfa 147 clutch failure VMax Alfa Romeo 6 July 6th 05 11:03 PM
Interesting failure mode. [email protected] Audi 8 April 8th 05 06:55 PM
Rack and Pinion failure Tom B Chrysler 8 January 29th 05 05:52 PM
Air Conditioning Fan Failure Tom Saturn 3 September 6th 04 04:10 PM