Leaky Push-rod Tubes - NOT

Old May 29th 05, 08:35 AM
Jan Andersson

"MUADIB®" wrote:

> >never been a problem for me....can run out of back tire long before i run
> >out of front tire...
> >

> What does that have to do with Gyroscopics????
>
> I use up the "power" tire first on almost everything I have
> driven........Yeah, I have a slightly heavy foot. It's the tiny front
> wheel we're talking about. Not how much tread one has.
>
> I have watched some videos and seen some results of the front wheel on
> thos crotch rockets going willy nilly and eventually throwing the
> rider. All it takes is something to have a "groove" pattern on the
> surface ridden and it will set up gyrations that make the smaller tire
> unstable, and thus start shimmying and make a guy lose it. EVEN A
> STRONG FELLA.....(not yelling, just making a strong ppoint here)

Isn't that why steering dampeners are fitted?

Jan
Old May 29th 05, 03:23 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Anthony W" > wrote in message
> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>

>> i do understand gyroscopics and also realize that it is a small part of
>> motorcycling... as far as your eronious statement about the small tires
>> on those "crotch rockets" and them being prone to going "nilly willy" has
>> nothing to do with the size(which btw is normally the same diameter as
>> the rear tire...in my bikes case, that would be 17") but everything to do
>> with the weight distribution of the bike and the steering "geometry"...a
>> "crotch rocket:" is actually *MORE* stable in a turn than it is in a
>> straight line....its designed that way...but don't take *my* word for it,
>> use google...

> Small part of motorcycling? Motorcycling would be impossible without
> gyroscopics.
>
> The small tires I was talking about are on scooters not sport bikes and
> are usually 10 to 12" and about 3" wide. Apples and oranges to what
> you're talking about.
>
> Tony

well tony in that case i would suggest you follow the thread and realize i
didn't respond to your post...hence the reference to "crotch rockets"...if
you are not the one i responded to, and you didn't mention "crotch rockets"
then why do you feel i'm talking to you? as far as gyroscopics it is
inherent of the design of motorcycles, and yes the handling of a motorcycle
depends on it, but it is not nearly the only thing the motorcycle depends
on....especially with "crotch rockets"....

Old May 29th 05, 03:23 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> "MUADIB®" wrote:
>
> Isn't that why steering dampeners are fitted?
>
> Jan

steering dampers help the most with a "speed weave" and only a little with a
"speed wobble" (I.E. tankslapper).....

Old May 29th 05, 05:44 PM
MUADIB®

>> I have watched some videos and seen some results of the front wheel on
>> thos crotch rockets going willy nilly and eventually throwing the
>> rider. All it takes is something to have a "groove" pattern on the
>> surface ridden and it will set up gyrations that make the smaller tire
>> unstable, and thus start shimmying and make a guy lose it. EVEN A
>> STRONG FELLA.....(not yelling, just making a strong ppoint here)

>Isn't that why steering dampeners are fitted?

Yes Jan, That *is* the reason. But it doesn't change the fact that
they are still less "gyroscopic than a larger diameter wheel/tire.

Good points made by Chris, but most of the ones I see riding around
town are doing just that. riding around town. Pulling wheelies in the
HOV lane on a major freeway, actin' a fool. I agree with the fact that
they are way more stable in hard turns, hell, turns in general, as
the CG of the Cycle is lower. But still more unstable for driving
typical stuff around town , than say a Hardley Sportster.

Either way, I do believe you should know your stuff when riding, I
believe Chris/Joey likely has a great deal of experience riding MC's
and I would only bow to experience, not the "more tread on the tire"
theory.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?
Old May 29th 05, 05:45 PM
John Willis

On Sun, 29 May 2005 04:34:20 GMT, Scott Sansom >
scribbled this interesting note:

>I'm trying man. The plan is 1.) Build Shop 2.) Buy Tools 3.) Search
>for Bug 4.) Buy Bug. 5.) Repair and Restore (i.e. the really fun part).
>
>Step 1 is in progress (getting concrete poured this week and framers
>hopefully show up next week.

Framing is the easy part. Buy a good, big pneumatic nail gun and a
good saw and go to town. You don't need no stinkin' framers!:~) (Trust
me on this one. Most framers can't frame a square corner to save their
lives! Chris will back me up on this one, I'm sure!:~)

> Working on number 3 as
>well. I'm not in the mode where I am going to jump at the first
>suitable car, but if I find a car in really good condition at a good
>price I would probably buy in and stick it in one of those self storage
>places for a couple of months when I expect the shop will be complete.
>Been wanting and planning a shop for a couple of years now and it is
>pretty exciting to finally get it going.

How far are you willing to go to get your Bug and what year(s) are you
looking at? Price range, etc. This is motivated self-interest speaking
here as we (Scott and I) happen to have one or two or three (or more)
good candidates for you to consider, if driving to Dallas ain't out of
the question...

>Speaking of air compressors, anyone got a particular brand/model they
>like. Right now the one I am leaning towards is a twin cylinder
>Ingersol Rand 80 gallon vertical tank from Northern Tools. If I recall
>it does like 18 CFM at 125 PSI. It's a twin cylinder machine but not a
>true two stage (i.e. the twin cylinders are in parallel, not in series)
>so it has plenty of CFM but it doesn't go to 175 psi like most of the
>two stage compressors. I definitely want the high CFMs and I can't
>think of an application that required over 125 psi. Any opinions on that?

Air compressors...touchy subject. In our day to day work we use small,
high quality (meaning you can't get anything near this good from Home
Depot or Harbor Freight or even Sears...notice I kind of link these
stores), pancake compressors built by Thomas. And I mean small. The
smallest we have has about a 2 gallon capacity and the others are all
4.5 gallon capacity. One of the larger ones will run two pneumatic
roofing guns (staple or coil nail). Two of the 4.5 gallon compressors,
running together, will run two large framing nail guns being use
continuously. We've used these specific compressors for nearing
thirty years. They have Teflon rings and very good electric motors.
The rings, pistons, and cylinders last and last. The motors never seem
to wear out. In fact, they rate these compressors at 10,000 hours of
use. That's eight hours a day, five days a week, fifty-two weeks a
year, for five years. When one wears too much, we take it in and have
the top end re-built for about a hundred bucks and get back a
compressor that is just about as good as new. Brand new they cost
about three times that amount.

Just remember, most any compressor you buy from Harbor Freight, Home
Depot, or Sears can be considered disposable since they will likely
cost more to fix than replacing it would.

Scott got lucky. A while back he bought, at a garage sale, a good
DeVilbiss compressor. I keep harassing him to rewire the motor for the
220 it can handle and run a dedicated line to it from his service box.
It just doesn't keep up while running on 110.

So the considerations are, the amount of air you anticipate needing,
plus a comfortable margin, the service you want it to run on (110 or
220), and how long you want it to last. As with many things in life,
this is a case of you get what you pay for. High Quality will cost,
unless you get lucky at a garage sale or pawn shop...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old May 29th 05, 07:10 PM
Anthony W

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Anthony W" > wrote in message
>
>>Joey Tribiani wrote:
>>

>>>i do understand gyroscopics and also realize that it is a small part of
>>>motorcycling... as far as your eronious statement about the small tires
>>>on those "crotch rockets" and them being prone to going "nilly willy" has
>>>nothing to do with the size(which btw is normally the same diameter as
>>>the rear tire...in my bikes case, that would be 17") but everything to do
>>>with the weight distribution of the bike and the steering "geometry"...a
>>>"crotch rocket:" is actually *MORE* stable in a turn than it is in a
>>>straight line....its designed that way...but don't take *my* word for it,
>>>use google...

>>Small part of motorcycling? Motorcycling would be impossible without
>>gyroscopics.
>>
>>The small tires I was talking about are on scooters not sport bikes and
>>are usually 10 to 12" and about 3" wide. Apples and oranges to what
>>you're talking about.
>>
>>Tony

> well tony in that case i would suggest you follow the thread and realize i
> didn't respond to your post...hence the reference to "crotch rockets"...if
> you are not the one i responded to, and you didn't mention "crotch rockets"
> then why do you feel i'm talking to you? as far as gyroscopics it is
> inherent of the design of motorcycles, and yes the handling of a motorcycle
> depends on it, but it is not nearly the only thing the motorcycle depends
> on....especially with "crotch rockets"....

You're they type of person Veeduber and I were talking about when this
discussion began.

Tony
Old May 29th 05, 08:35 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Anthony W" > wrote in message news:BAnme.5539

> You're they type of person Veeduber and I were talking about when this
> discussion began.
>
> Tony

cool....nice attempt at an insult...how did you even manage to reply to the
correct post? seems you have trouble determining who is writing to
whom...but thanks...and don't come prepared to "argue" some point if you
aren't prepared....

Old May 29th 05, 08:39 PM
Joey Tribiani

"MUADIB®" > wrote in message
> Yes Jan, That *is* the reason. But it doesn't change the fact that
> they are still less "gyroscopic than a larger diameter wheel/tire.

there is no doubt a larger diameter tire has more gyroscopic action than a
smaller one, that is not what i responded to.....you claimed that the
"crotch rockets" have little front wheels...its not true...im not trying to
insult your intelligence, i'm sure you know the front wheel never runs in a
true straight line...the front tire constantly pushes the motorcycle back
upright, weaving back and forth as it does so...even in a turn...watch a kid
run thier bike through a water puddle and you will see with your own eyes
what i am talking about....

> Good points made by Chris, but most of the ones I see riding around
> town are doing just that. riding around town. Pulling wheelies in the
> HOV lane on a major freeway, actin' a fool. I agree with the fact that
> they are way more stable in hard turns, hell, turns in general, as
> the CG of the Cycle is lower. But still more unstable for driving
> typical stuff around town , than say a Hardley Sportster.

no doubt....the more rake the front forks have the more stable it is in a
straight line...has more caster angle...

> Either way, I do believe you should know your stuff when riding, I
> believe Chris/Joey likely has a great deal of experience riding MC's
> and I would only bow to experience, not the "more tread on the tire"
> theory.

"more tread" was never my theory... when i said "run out of tire" it is akin
to the race driver that says "i ran out of talent and spun".....

Old May 29th 05, 08:46 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Anthony W" > wrote in message news:BAnme.5539

> You're they type of person Veeduber and I were talking about when this
> discussion began.
>
> Tony

hehe..funny guy....am i the japanese guy that brought back scooters, or the
guy that never rode one? seems you know me well there tony baloney......or
you are just plain full of ****....judging by your posts here in RAMVA, i'd
say its the latter.....

the Japanese resurrected motorscooters. Evil and twitchy little devices
that are hard to work on and they seem to be designed to crash.
Needless to say this hasn't been a very popular view point mostly with
people that want a scooter but have never ridden one.

Tony>>>>>

and BTW what the **** did your idiotic post have to do with "commercial"
interests in vw's or yanking thermostats, or hell what does it have to do
with *anything* about this group? take it somewhere else

Old May 29th 05, 08:49 PM
Joey Tribiani

"John Willis" > wrote in message

> Framing is the easy part. Buy a good, big pneumatic nail gun and a
> good saw and go to town. You don't need no stinkin' framers!:~) (Trust
> me on this one. Most framers can't frame a square corner to save their
> lives! Chris will back me up on this one, I'm sure!:~)

yes i will.....don't see some much as a string line on most jobs these days,
much less *gasp* a level or framing square....