Door hinge pins, 2001 Sonoma pickup

Old March 10th 05, 05:03 PM
HLS

Default Door hinge pins, 2001 Sonoma pickup

Hinge pins and bushings are worn on this relatively recent application
causing wind noise, rain leakage, poor closing of doors.

Are special tools required for this replacement, or is it a fairly simple
task.
Strangely enough, this is one I never had to tackle before.

Would appreciate any comments.

Old March 10th 05, 05:24 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:03:56 -0600, "HLS" > wrote:

>Hinge pins and bushings are worn on this relatively recent application
>causing wind noise, rain leakage, poor closing of doors.
>
>Are special tools required for this replacement, or is it a fairly simple
>task.
>Strangely enough, this is one I never had to tackle before.
>
>Would appreciate any comments.

When is anybody going to put ball bearing and hardened pins in these
things? ( rant off )

I saw a special tool to hold the door in alignment for removal and
remounting. Otoh, if you have a strong other person to help, you can
do it without the gizmo.

I don't remember where I saw the door holder, but it was adjustable
and had wheels on it for rolling the door away and back to the
vehicle.

Lg

Old March 11th 05, 01:10 PM
pater

I like to use one of those shop chairs that go hydraulicly up & down.
They are cushioned so don't hurt the paint & infinitely adjustable so
realigning the door is a snap. Not everyone has that convenience just
sitting around so use a floor jack, a foot or so of 2x4 & a friend to
balance it all & you accomplish the same thing. The bushings themselves
are just a hammer & punch thing, nothing special there. Good luck.

Old March 11th 05, 02:33 PM
HLS

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> Otoh, if you have a strong other person to help, you can
> do it without the gizmo.
>
> I don't remember where I saw the door holder, but it was adjustable
> and had wheels on it for rolling the door away and back to the
> vehicle.
>
> Lg

Luckily, the hinge mounts to the door are welded so there is no adjustment.
I plan to mark the hinges on the chassis so they will be easy to get back
into relative alignment.

I plan to use a nylon strap on my engine hoist to lift the doors and
transport them.

What I didn't know was how hard that spring will be to replace in the hinge
assembly.

Old March 11th 05, 08:17 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:33:28 -0600, "HLS" > wrote:

>"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Otoh, if you have a strong other person to help, you can
>> do it without the gizmo.
>>
>> I don't remember where I saw the door holder, but it was adjustable
>> and had wheels on it for rolling the door away and back to the
>> vehicle.
>>
>> Lg
>>

>Luckily, the hinge mounts to the door are welded so there is no adjustment.
>I plan to mark the hinges on the chassis so they will be easy to get back
>into relative alignment.
>
>I plan to use a nylon strap on my engine hoist to lift the doors and
>transport them.
>
>What I didn't know was how hard that spring will be to replace in the hinge
>assembly.

Not familiar with your particular hinge arrangement HLS ;-\
I have just *ordinary* screw-in hinge plates, not much different than
you would see on a wooden door. The only *gotcha* is the electrical
harness that goes into the door that goes to the control panel for
electric windows, power locks, and so forth.

But really, all we're talking about to replace _everything_ in the
*hinge department* is four angle brackets and a couple of hardened
pins. Pretty simple stuff if you can get the parts new from
somewhere. No sense going to all that trouble if you're going to put
WORN parts in from a salvage yard to replace worn parts on your
car.;-|

This is about $10 worth of hardware per door? I haven't asked
dealership, but when I get over there, might pick up some parts
because the driver's door is the one that takes all the abuse, and it
is inevitable it is going to need to be replaced sooner or later.

That's all there is to it. Angle brackets with holes, pins in the
holes. Then again, it's a Ford, so whaddaya expect.

Lg

Old March 12th 05, 03:14 AM
Comboverfish

HLS wrote:
> "Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> > Otoh, if you have a strong other person to help, you can
> > do it without the gizmo.
> >
> > I don't remember where I saw the door holder, but it was adjustable
> > and had wheels on it for rolling the door away and back to the
> > vehicle.
> >
> > Lg
> >

> Luckily, the hinge mounts to the door are welded so there is no

adjustment.
> I plan to mark the hinges on the chassis so they will be easy to get

back
> into relative alignment.
>
> I plan to use a nylon strap on my engine hoist to lift the doors and
> transport them.
>
> What I didn't know was how hard that spring will be to replace in the

hinge
> assembly.

Since my faulty memory is involved, I can't remember the exact tools
I've used on GM door springs for that same job. Basically, I opened
the door as far as possible and pryed the spring out, then probably
used a pair of needlenose channellocks to "bend" the spring on
installation - and faced the contracted side of the spring coils
towards the hinge while pushing with great force.

Here's a link to Snapon's hinge service kit that includes the spring
compressor made for this job. I couldn't find it seperately (well, not
quickly enough so I didn't bother) though the compressor is avaliable
from most any tool source by itself. Look in the picture for the
silver item about the size of a Leatherman tool.

http://tinyurl.com/3l838

HELP! products by Motormite offer the hinge and bushing kit at most
parts stores.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old March 12th 05, 01:10 PM
pater

Forgot about the spring, must be a chevy, they make a compressor for
this job but you can accomplish compressing the spring another way. Put
it in a vise, squeeze it together & strap it down with 3 or 4 zip ties,
put it in place & cut the ties. A little tricky but can be done with a
little finesse. I wouldn't onbolt any hinges, you shouldn't have to &
your alignment won't be disturbed.

Old March 15th 05, 01:57 PM
HLS

"pater" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Forgot about the spring, must be a chevy, they make a compressor for
> this job but you can accomplish compressing the spring another way. Put
> it in a vise, squeeze it together & strap it down with 3 or 4 zip ties,
> put it in place & cut the ties. A little tricky but can be done with a
> little finesse. I wouldn't onbolt any hinges, you shouldn't have to &
> your alignment won't be disturbed.

Thanks for your help.
The zip tie trick has worked for me before on springs that were not so
strong
that the ties would hold.

I\m not sure that the old pins can be removed and the new bushings put into
place without removing the hinges, but it is worth taking a second look. To
take the door off, I will have to remove the upholstery panel to take the
stereo wires loose and this could be the most disagreeable part of the job.