Are You Ready For Diesel Yet?

Old July 16th 05, 10:57 PM

LPG for motor fuel makes great sense everywhere BUT the U.S. because of
our tax structure and retailer greed/laziness.

Old July 16th 05, 11:36 PM
Dave Milne

Rover were the first to do this, more than 50 years ago. I've seen the car
in their museum.

http://www.rover.org.nz/pages/jet/jet5.htm

Dave

Old July 16th 05, 11:39 PM
Dave Milne

My LPG Waggy 13 miles/imp gal costs me less to run than my TJ 23 miles/imp
gal. Its almost midnight, and although I usually translate all our
measurements into yours, I've had a few glasses of wine with my g/f and I
can't be bothered :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland

oups.com...

Old July 16th 05, 11:40 PM

He's back in Georgia AFAIK. Nice guy, not a great president.

Some veg oils can be run straight without heating. However these are
expensive for general use. When a cab company I know of bought two
diesel engined Checker cabs in the 70s, drivers bitched that there
weren't enough fuel places. After a couple ran them dry out of spite,
they gave each driver two gallon jugs of Wesson Oil, which they could
carry in their trunks for emergency fuel that didn't stink and was
legal to carry in a commercial vehicle. It ran fine and never caused a
problem, but they never burned that much of it.

Using used cooking oils in diesels is done in two ways, either by
fitting a second tank heated with engine coolant or by converting the
used oils into proper "biodiesel" via what is called
"transesterification", which beaks it down into the biodiesel fuel and
glycerin.

Does it make economic sense for large numbers of people? I don't think
so. But if only a few do it they can get rid of waste grease and amuse
themselves at the same time.

Old July 16th 05, 11:44 PM

Rover's "JET 1" was the first, and it still runs, but it was a
straight aircraft style engine. They later built some very successful
automotive designs but never eclipsed Chrysler.

Old July 16th 05, 11:49 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...9/jatoimp.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 16th 05, 11:57 PM

LPG mileage is poorer than gasoline for two reasons: propane has much
lower heat content per gallon, and few LPG conversions are very
efficient. Straight propane engines set up right used to equal gasoline
because of improved efficiency, but with EFI and closed loop computer
control gasoline engines have gotten far more efficient and propane
installs-most of which use Vialle or Impco (can't get Vialle here-have
to have it sneaked in covertly) mixers and vaporizers which are 1940s
tech, have not.

But in the U.S. propane is more expensive than gasoline-plus which
many retailers will refuse to put it in a motor vehicle. On an RV this
is no problem, you just mark it as "appliance fuel", but in a pickup or
car you are screwed.

Old July 17th 05, 12:35 AM
Mike Romain

Are you going to build it up diesel?

I am in Canada so the only diesel trucks I see stink so bad they must
bring up the end of the line or stay home. We have way too much sulfur
in all our fuels, especially that stuff.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 17th 05, 12:43 AM
Paul Calman

> What I was fishing for is there must be something mixed with your
> peanut oil, if it's anything like the oil they fry fires in, just mixing
> it with diesel is not enough it's got to volatile:

Of course it is. I haven't run straight SVO, but know guys who do. It works.
The blend ran fine in my engine, no loss of power or mileage, and I go up
and down mountains every time I drive it.
.. Rudolph Diesel designed his early engines to run on straight peanut oil,
but it has nowhere near the energy yeild of diesel fuel. Diesel fuel was
named after him posthumosly.
here's a link to a good SVO site, but i don't burn enough in my car to want
to deal with all the grease and slime, I get enough of that working.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html
--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Old July 17th 05, 12:45 AM