2000 TJ: Low Oil Pressure After New Oil Pump

Old June 18th 05, 12:26 AM
Josh

Default 2000 TJ: Low Oil Pressure After New Oil Pump

It's been a rough couple of weeks. Two weeks ago, my engine overheated
because unknown to me, my radiator was leaking like a sieve. I had
topped it off a couple of weeks prior, but when I opened the hood, the
tank was empty. So, after a trip to the dealer and $400 later, I've
got a new radiator. Since it was in the shop and I was due, I asked
the dealer to go ahead and change the oil for me.

Driving home the other night, I got off the highway and while waiting
for the light to turn, my oil pressure dropped down to 0, and the check
gauges light came on. So, I pulled over, let the Jeep cool down and
checked the oil levels, and everything was fine. After starting it
back up and driving for a bit, I stopped at a stop light, and the
pressure dropped again. Stick 'er in neutral and rev, and up the
pressure goes.

So, I took it back to the dealer and asked them to poke around. The
ascertained that my oil pump was bad and replaced it. After replacing
it, though, I was still losing pressure. They hooked a gauge up to the
block, and pressure was hovering below 10.

They are recommending a new lower block at this point because they
figure the bearings must be bad. I'm having a real tough time with
this because I have really babied this Jeep. Oil change with Mobile 1
Synthetic every 3000 - 4000, maintenance, you name it. Could it be
something else or am I screwed? It only has 129,000 ( mostly highway
).

HELP!!

Old June 18th 05, 12:53 AM
Professor

All your babying may have been offset by your overheating experience.
It sounds like you have a large internal leak... likely caused by a
bearing failure.

Professor
Check out FlashAlert at www.telstar-electronics.com

Old June 18th 05, 01:08 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Josh,
It doesn't take long to cook an engine. If you could hear
preignition clicking before you stopped, more than likely the oil is
burnt and started scoring your bearings. Also in the five minutes of
time the heads begin to warp letting the coolant begin to seep into the
crank case instantly destroying the best of oils, and their lubricating
qualities. You gambled telling them to replace the oil pump, but I think
you knew it was cooked, when you didn't tell them it was doing the
Stanley thing.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 18th 05, 03:45 AM
Josh

Thanks for your insight. This is bad, bad news.

Old June 18th 05, 01:52 PM
Bulletsnbrains

Josh,

My 01 XJ had not even showed low oil pressure. I had overheating and coolant
loss and could not find a leak anywhere. The dealer did a pressure check and
found the pressure OK after 4 hrs of sitting. They sent me on my way and
told me to monitor the coolant loss for a while. After a while, they check
engine light came on and I took it to a dealer that only replaced the #6
spark plug and sent me on my way again. Before I was 1 mile away the engine
light came back on and I turned around and took it back. The dealer kept the
XJ over the weekend and looked at it the following Monday, called me and
informed me I needed a new short block. They found metal filings all over
the top of the cam/lifter area and said the #6 lifters were deeply scored
and mushroomed. Jeep replaced the lower half of my engine under
warranty(29K miles) and all was fine except the coolant loss did not get any
better. I took it back to the dealer after a couple of months and told them
I was going to bring it back every time the overflow bottle went empty.
After 3 visits in 3 weeks they asked me to leave the jeep again and I
agreed. They pulled the head and sent it out for a professional inspection.
A small crack in the head was the root cause of all the previous problems
and after the new head not 1ounce of coolant loss in the last 9K miles.

MY recommendation to you is push hard to replace all of the engine, not just
the short block. Since you don't have warranty... Get one from a reputable
rebuilder somewhere else. Or buy a crate motor and put that in. The money a
crate motor would cost vs. the dealer soaking you shouldn't be too bad.

Luck, Brian

ups.com...

Old June 21st 05, 12:56 PM
Josh

Here's the latest:

I decided to change the oil myself on Sunday morning. When I removed
the oil cap, there was a funky slime on the bottom of the cap ( coolant
+ oil, perhaps? ). I noticed that I had lost some more coolant, so I
filled up the container again. After the oil change, I drove it pretty
hard for a couple of hours to see if I could get the oil pressure to
drop, and it didn't. It hasn't since, actually.

So, this morning, I open the hood, and I've lost quite a bit of
coolant. I removed the oil cap, and the funky slime is back. It's
looking like Brian might be on to something here. Based on this, what
do you all think my options are? ( And yes, I am still in denial about
needing to pony up the cash to replace the engine! )

Thanks for your thoughts,
Josh

Old June 21st 05, 02:51 PM
Robb S via CarKB.com

sounds like a head gasket, or possibly a crack somewhere. If your not
burning oil, you may be able to get away with replacing the head gasket, and
having the valves done.
Pull the head, and have it tested for cracks before rebuilding it and putting
it back on.
this MIGHT get you by

Old June 21st 05, 03:00 PM
FrankW

I've heard of heads warping if the engine overheats.
If so, you may also need to shave the head.

Old June 21st 05, 07:15 PM
Josh

I've got an appointment tomorrow morning with a pretty reputable
mechanic, and he's going to give a good going over. I'll let everyone
know what turns out.