OT - kind of - Chevy 350 question

Old June 17th 05, 07:54 PM
Rusted

Default OT - kind of - Chevy 350 question

A buddy came over last night so we could weld some new floor panels and
replace rotten roll cage mounts on his CJ (see I am back on topic already).

When he went to start his 89 suburban it had power to the starter but the
engine would not turn over. We used a wrench to manually turn the crank a
little to prove that the engine , then by holding the starter it started to
turn the engine slowly, until suddenly it fired up. It acted like maybe it
was hydro locked and once we turned it a little to open the valves it
allowed the fluid to escape and turn over.

Then the exhaust seemed to have a little water, then we notice a mixture of
mostly coolant with some oil was leaking out from around the passenger side
/ rear area from the exhaust manifold. Also it was running rough, almost
like it was missing a cylinder. He commented earlier that he thought that
purchased some bad fuel and it was not running right. But now I am thinking
that this is the reason it was not running right.

Am I safe to take a guess that this is a problem with a bad head gasket?
How much is involved in replacing a head gasket on a 350?

Old June 18th 05, 12:21 AM
Earle Horton

You can buy an adapter to pressurize the cylinders through the spark plug
holes, and see if any air comes out the radiator cap. That is one of my
favorite ways to check for a head gasket leak. You do this, of course, with
the engine not running. A compression test might show something too.
Usually, if you have cause to suspect a blown head gasket, you have one. (

Replacing the head gasket is not too much work, but you will want to know
why it went bad, before you put the head back on. At the very least, check
the deck and head for warping with a straight edge and feeler gauge.

My '89 Suburban had some coolant leakage and lost about a quart of oil in
two hundred miles. It smoked like a gangster in a '50s movie. So I took it
to a Chevrolet dealer with a good reputation, and told him to "replace the
engine with a new one, and put it on this credit card". That worked a lot
smoother than the other way. :^)

Earle

Old June 18th 05, 01:24 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Maybe, but sounds more like a bad starter, weak battery. Usually if
the gasket is leaking the starter is strong enough to bang it though
bending the rod, with just a slight hesitation. If you still suspect a
cylinder filling with fluid remove the spark plugs will tell you quickly
which it is. If in the future you roll your Jeep pull the crank over by
hand and feel if you need to pull the plugs. Kind of like pulling
through a radio engine to make sure it's good to go before you yell,
contact: http://www.billhughes.com/grandpa.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 18th 05, 01:29 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Radial

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

> Maybe, but sounds more like a bad starter, weak battery. Usually if
> the gasket is leaking the starter is strong enough to bang it though
> bending the rod, with just a slight hesitation. If you still suspect a
> cylinder filling with fluid remove the spark plugs will tell you quickly
> which it is. If in the future you roll your Jeep pull the crank over by
> hand and feel if you need to pull the plugs. Kind of like pulling
> through a radio engine to make sure it's good to go before you yell,
> contact: http://www.billhughes.com/grandpa.jpg
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
>

> Rusted wrote:
> >
> > A buddy came over last night so we could weld some new floor panels and
> > replace rotten roll cage mounts on his CJ (see I am back on topic already).
> >
> > When he went to start his 89 suburban it had power to the starter but the
> > engine would not turn over. We used a wrench to manually turn the crank a
> > little to prove that the engine , then by holding the starter it started to
> > turn the engine slowly, until suddenly it fired up. It acted like maybe it
> > was hydro locked and once we turned it a little to open the valves it
> > allowed the fluid to escape and turn over.
> >
> > Then the exhaust seemed to have a little water, then we notice a mixture of
> > mostly coolant with some oil was leaking out from around the passenger side
> > / rear area from the exhaust manifold. Also it was running rough, almost
> > like it was missing a cylinder. He commented earlier that he thought that
> > purchased some bad fuel and it was not running right. But now I am thinking
> > that this is the reason it was not running right.
> >
> > Am I safe to take a guess that this is a problem with a bad head gasket?
> > How much is involved in replacing a head gasket on a 350?

Question About Grille Cobra Emblem Steve Porter Ford Mustang 8 March 26th 05 01:23 AM
95 chevy G20 exhaust question.... Leroy Stroud Technology 3 January 26th 05 05:51 AM
chevy xtreme question EclipseChic 4x4 0 October 19th 04 05:44 AM
1956 Chevy Question - Fan and shroud kit recommendation? Jason Graklanoff Antique cars 0 November 16th 03 06:15 AM
1956 Chevy Question - 350 Small Block Conversion Jason Graklanoff Antique cars 0 November 16th 03 06:11 AM