2001 Neon Broken rear spring? Could this be possible?

Old January 18th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mike[_1_]

Default 2001 Neon Broken rear spring? Could this be possible?

I have a 2001 Chrysler Neon with the Driver rear tire riding extremely
low compared to normal.
In general, the second generation Neons has a high riding rear (even
with the weight of subs + amps).

I had recently removed all the stereo equipment from the trunk, as well
as the carpeting and spare tire, due to a water leak in the trunk, and
have yet to replace everything. Since then I noticed the other day that
it is really low on the driver rear, and appears to have no suspension
give.

I thought it could have been contributed to the warm damp weather,
suddenly turning fairly cold and freezing. But this would not attribute
to the lowered height.

Any ideas?

I have been unable to look at it closely (due to illness) but am going
to pull it into the garage to look at it in the coming days.

If this is a broken spring (which I could not understand how), is it
difficult to change? I have most of the standard tools in my garage.

Thank you,

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Old January 18th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mike[_1_]

Now I am confused.
I checked the car visually without removing the rear tire, and it
appears to have returned to the normal ride height. The only difference
is today it has returned to a reasonable milder temp outside (-10'C or
so).
Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Old January 18th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

On Jan 18, 3:06 pm, "mike" > wrote:
> Now I am confused.
> I checked the car visually without removing the rear tire, and it
> appears to have returned to the normal ride height. The only difference
> is today it has returned to a reasonable milder temp outside (-10'C or
> so).
> Does this make any sense to anyone out there?
>
> Mike
> mlawrenc(at)gmail.com
>

> mike wrote:
> > I have a 2001 Chrysler Neon with the Driver rear tire riding extremely
> > low compared to normal.
> > In general, the second generation Neons has a high riding rear (even
> > with the weight of subs + amps).

> > I had recently removed all the stereo equipment from the trunk, as well
> > as the carpeting and spare tire, due to a water leak in the trunk, and
> > have yet to replace everything. Since then I noticed the other day that
> > it is really low on the driver rear, and appears to have no suspension
> > give.

> > I thought it could have been contributed to the warm damp weather,
> > suddenly turning fairly cold and freezing. But this would not attribute
> > to the lowered height.

> > Any ideas?

> > I have been unable to look at it closely (due to illness) but am going
> > to pull it into the garage to look at it in the coming days.

> > If this is a broken spring (which I could not understand how), is it
> > difficult to change? I have most of the standard tools in my garage.

> > Thank you,

> > Mike

Cold weather may have prevented shock absorber from returning to it's
normal
position. When warmer weather returns, I would suggest having the
shocks
checked, and replaced if necessary. Especially if they are the
originals.

-KM

Old January 19th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mike[_1_]

Thank you for the response.
I thought the shock freezing too, however, it does not explain how the
car ended up at that ride hight. It did not have any weight in the
trunk (actually had less then normal).

Mike