65 T-Bird Starting Help

Old November 2nd 03, 03:28 PM

Default 65 T-Bird Starting Help

Hi Folks,
I have a 65 T-bird that is in in excellent condition. I moved the car
to my friends house to store it and I would up keeping it there longer
then expected. The car was in tip top shape when it went into her
garage which was in May, now it is November and I have to start the
car for the first time. I'm expecting trouble like a dead battery
amoungst other things. Does anyone have suggestions for making the
starting process easier?
Old November 2nd 03, 05:32 PM
G.R. Patterson III

" wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions for making the starting process easier?

If you can easily do so, replace the gasoline with fresh. Just siphon out what
you can and use it for the mower or something. Charge the battery and either
take a second battery along or be prepared with jumper cables. A little starting
ether also might help matters. The plugs and oil should still be ok for this
run. If you changed the oil just before you parked it last May, it will be fine,
but you should change the oil and filter as soon as you can if you drove the car
much since you last changed the oil. If you can't get it to start, change the
plugs before trying again.

Normal starting procedure for a Ford of this era was to pump the throttle three
times before cranking. This uses the accelerator pump on the carb to prime the
engine. Don't do this. By this time, it's likely that the gas in the float
chamber has evaporated. Crank the engine for at least ten seconds to allow the
fuel pump to fill the float chamber. Then try the normal starting procedure.

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.

2000 Neon Starting Problem Jason Dodge 0 September 24th 04 12:46 PM
95 Dodge Neon SOHC Starting problem Franko Dodge 4 August 6th 04 07:39 PM
'98 Dodge Grand Caravan not starting up crazyro Dodge 10 June 21st 04 09:54 PM