pushing the bounds of historical tags

Old October 22nd 03, 10:08 PM
Kenneth Garman

Default pushing the bounds of historical tags

I have a classic car with Missouri antique plates. Missouri historic
regs limit me to 1,000 miles a year of driving and must keep a journal
in the car recording every trip.

I stay under the 1,000 mile limit just barely, but the complication is
that I split my time between residences in Texas and Missouri. For
the last 3 years, the car has been driven 100% in Texas. I haven't
had to re-register or get it inspected in Texas because the Missouri
historic tags are permanent. Plus since it is under 30 years old,
Texas would make me do emissions inspections, and there is no way it
would pass, not to mention all the headache of re-titling and
registration fees.

So here's my question: Does anyone have experience with how tough the
cops are on historical tag violations? To be honest, I'm not even
sure there's a statue the Texas cops could charge me under. (The
Texas law on improperly displayed license plates is all about expired
plates or plates from a different vehicle.)

Also, I haven't been conscientous about keeping up the driving log as
required, because I figure no way are Texas cops gonna know about that
obscure Missouri law.
Old October 23rd 03, 04:28 AM
rick nelson

Kenneth Garman wrote:
> So here's my question: Does anyone have experience with how tough the
> cops are on historical tag violations? To be honest, I'm not even
> sure there's a statue the Texas cops could charge me under. (The
> Texas law on improperly displayed license plates is all about expired
> plates or plates from a different vehicle.)

In Texas a car 25 yrs old or older is qualified to purchase and display
Texas Classic Plates (newly stamped plates, ugly) or year of manufacture
plates that have been approved by your county tag agent.
There is no mileage restriction and the only inspection required is a
safety inspection: lights, signals, horn, tire tread, etc. No emissions
test.
Texas Antique plates have a mileage restriction and require NO
inspections of any kind.
I have a '65 LeMans with 1965 Texas plates front and back. I've been
stopped by the cops once for speeding (47 in a 40) and the plates never
were an issue. He even got the model year correct on the citation
without asking me. I was impressed.

rick

BTW, regarding improperly displayed plates in Texas: A law recently went
into effect that bans license plate frames that obscure more than 1/16
of an inch of the word "Texas" on the plate.

rn
Old October 23rd 03, 11:36 AM
Leon Corley

Here's the texas rule.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/sppla...ate.htm?nbr=70

No mileage limitation.
Instead there is a usage limitation.

Here's a quote from the Texas DOT at the above site:
"Antique plates are issued for passenger cars, trucks, or motorcycles
that are at least 25 years old and are a collector's item. The vehicle
must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, or
other functions of public interest and not used for regular
transportation. The vehicle may not carry advertising."

regards,
Leon

Old October 25th 03, 04:09 AM
Steven E. Eyrse

In Wa. you can have original plates or Historical ones. Both of these
alow you to drive to and from events and to do some ( it has no
specific limit ) testing and mantaining of the car. Both plates have a
one time fee. Here in Ca. you can use original plates with a yearly
sticker just like a " normal " plate. The sticker goes on a little
plate you attach with one of the plate bolts.

Steve E.

Old November 3rd 03, 12:59 PM
Richard Kuschel

In Montana , one can purchase Historical Plates which are for parades, etc and
are a hideous orangish red.

The real smart thing to do here is to buy permanant plates which are offered
for any vehicle over 11 years old. No restrictions. Uses your normal plate.

The permanant plates were $79.50 for my '68 Jaguar E-Type and $80.50 for my BMW
R60/2 motorcycle.
Richard H. Kuschel
Old November 5th 03, 02:19 AM
Mike Fisher

Virginia appears to be similar to Texas. The law is probably intentionally
ambiguous about "limited usage".

VA's documentation states that historic plates can be used with a daily
driver as long as you are willing to subject the car to safety & equipment
inspection - something you should do anyway if you drive on public roads.

In my case, a 1960 MGA 1600 roadster, the car passed with flying colors and
the inspectors enjoyed every minute of the inspection. They still waive at
me when I park nearby to get coffee.

I think the goal is not to collect taxes & fees or to enforce environmental
reg's, but to ensure that every car on the road is as safe as that car was
designed to be - lights, signals, brakes, tires, etc.

We have no exhaust emissions test here, otherwise, it would be another story
as my SU carburettors are running rich.

p.s. - I think the plates were under $40 and are permanent.

p.p.s. - I love Virginia!