2001 Dodge Caravan Gas Pedal Sticking

Old March 28th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 2001 Dodge Caravan Gas Pedal Sticking

Frequently, the gas pedal will stick as I'm driving. I can be cruising
on the freeway and when I want to accelerate, the pedal will be hard to
push. Eventually, I can get the pedal to work, but it is scary. The
pedal can also be hard to push after the car has been setting for a
while. Unfortunately, when I take the car to the dealer, this problem
never happens. The Caravan has a 3.3L V6. Any ideas?

Joy
Old March 28th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Joy Suyehara > wrote:
>Frequently, the gas pedal will stick as I'm driving. I can be cruising
>on the freeway and when I want to accelerate, the pedal will be hard to
>push. Eventually, I can get the pedal to work, but it is scary. The
>pedal can also be hard to push after the car has been setting for a
>while. Unfortunately, when I take the car to the dealer, this problem
>never happens. The Caravan has a 3.3L V6. Any ideas?

Clean the throttle body.
--scott
Old March 28th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Joy Suyehara" > wrote in message
> Frequently, the gas pedal will stick as I'm driving. I can be cruising
> on the freeway and when I want to accelerate, the pedal will be hard to
> push. Eventually, I can get the pedal to work, but it is scary. The
> pedal can also be hard to push after the car has been setting for a
> while. Unfortunately, when I take the car to the dealer, this problem
> never happens. The Caravan has a 3.3L V6. Any ideas?
>
> Joy

Most likely cause would be a dirty throttle body.

Old March 28th 06, 10:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Have someone watch while you operate the gas pedel see if it is hitting on
anything? I would also look on the firewall at the pedel linkage look for
corosion on the linkage

Old March 29th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

clean carbon buildup off of throttle plates

Old March 29th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:28:32 -0500, philthy > wrote:

>clean carbon buildup off of throttle plates

No, no, no, no, no,,,,,

not unless he has other symptoms, sich as poor driveability, rough
idle, engine sometimes racing at idle, etc...

Manually work the throttle lever under the hood, and if it works
freely, but the pedal doesn't then I'd suspect accelerator cable
(lube or replace it).

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Old March 29th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"~^Johnny^~" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:28:32 -0500, philthy > wrote:
>
>>clean carbon buildup off of throttle plates

> No, no, no, no, no,,,,,
>
> not unless he has other symptoms, sich as poor driveability, rough
> idle, engine sometimes racing at idle, etc...
>
> Manually work the throttle lever under the hood, and if it works
> freely, but the pedal doesn't then I'd suspect accelerator cable
> (lube or replace it).

Pretty cheap fix, and might save you from knocking the house down.

Old March 29th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

In article >, "Joe" >
wrote:

> "~^Johnny^~" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:28:32 -0500, philthy > wrote:
> >
> >>clean carbon buildup off of throttle plates

> > No, no, no, no, no,,,,,
> >
> > not unless he has other symptoms, sich as poor driveability, rough
> > idle, engine sometimes racing at idle, etc...
> >
> > Manually work the throttle lever under the hood, and if it works
> > freely, but the pedal doesn't then I'd suspect accelerator cable
> > (lube or replace it).
> >

> Pretty cheap fix, and might save you from knocking the house down.

Cleaning the throttle body solved the problem. Thanks for the
suggestions.

Joy
Old March 29th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:55:36 -0500, Alex Rodriguez > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>>Frequently, the gas pedal will stick as I'm driving. I can be cruising
>>on the freeway and when I want to accelerate, the pedal will be hard to
>>push. Eventually, I can get the pedal to work, but it is scary. The
>>pedal can also be hard to push after the car has been setting for a
>>while. Unfortunately, when I take the car to the dealer, this problem
>>never happens. The Caravan has a 3.3L V6. Any ideas?

>check for stuff on the floor near the pedal. Also, do you have floor mats?
>They can sometimes cause problems with the gas pedal.
>---------------
>Alex

Check all the linkages. Check alignment @ the throttle body/airbox.
Check the throttle body/airbox bearing (pull the linkage and see that
it moves freely and has no play)
Lubricate/replace any cables.

Or go back to the dealer and tear the guy a new asshole. Make it absolutely
clear that he is to keep at it until he finds the problem.

Or take it to a competant mechanic.

Old March 31st 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

In article >,
says...

>Cleaning the throttle body solved the problem. Thanks for the
>suggestions.

Great. What kind of stupid mechanic did you take that car to that couldn't
figure out to try this the first time you took it to them?
Alex

Mopar Oil Filter Number(s) do not spam Chrysler 3 January 7th 06 01:18 PM
Need '96 & '97 Dodge Caravan timing specs Yoboslayer Dodge 0 September 28th 04 05:26 AM
2001 Dodge Caravan Brakes M K Dodge 8 August 16th 04 05:35 AM
Dodge Caravan Roof Rack Tony Dodge 8 May 27th 04 05:49 PM