So funny...

Old January 4th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default So funny...

"Izzy" > wrote in message

> The trouble with rfactor is amateurs trying to be professionals <

Yup; and that's an inherent problem with any open-architechture, moddable
sim that has a strong underlying physics engine. The more complex the
vehicles & environments, the less the chance that hobbyist modders are going
to get it right without some significant help and guidance from
knowledgeable sources. As for the PCC mod, if you take a good look at the
HDV file, it's more than obvious that the modder had no real idea what
realistic value ranges should be for things like wt. distribution, drag,
lift/drag ratios, etc., nor an appreciation for what improper values mean
within the confines of ISI's virtual physical world. It's argued that the
mod is sound based on the fact that it was tweaked through many iterations
by beta testers and produces good, fun racing (and indeed it does), but
other than appearance, those cars have nothing whatsoever to do with
Porsches. The fact that it works as well as it does is kind of amazing in
light of the underlying car parameters.

There will no doubt be mods that more well-researched and accurate. Their
non-appearance to date speaks to that I think. But the majority of mods are
likely to be far less "accurate" than they could be. ISI perhaps needed a
dedicated mod support resource or online knowledge base for modders since
their work is an integral part of the appeal of rFactor.

This sort of thing is why I was pleased to read in the nKPro dev diary that
Kunos plans to have a "virtual tire store" that modders can choose tire type
and sizes from, without having or being able to just tweak text files to
conjure up their own. He fully gets the importance of nailing the critical
bits.

SB

Old January 4th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I didn't understand a word you wrote. It's like you were under water,
> trying to talk through a breathing tube.
>
> I have GTL and it's a great game. Online is smooth: only wish there
> was the possibility of having add-on tracks, to increase longevity.
>

> Alanb

ok i`ll help you out Alanb,
"its bloody brilliant" thats just British slang meaning `very good`
"gfx" well thats techie shorthand for `graphics`
"coz" is just shorthand for `because`
and finally "vete" was a typo(typing mistake) should have typed "vette"
or "corvette" to be more precise.
yours sincerley,
Tango
Old January 5th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>"David G Fisher" > wrote
> What failure?

What is a success for you?

> I know you want it to fail since that was your prediction, but just
> wanting it to fail doesn't make it happen. :-o

I want quality and quantity, in both cars, tracks and multiplayer people
online. rF has none of that.

> How many sales have they had so far? They have a new demo coming out soon,
> and I suspect they still have a huge number of potential sales awaiting
> them.

Anyway there's absolutely NO releases in the next 6 months. Zero, nothing.
Not a frickin developper is releasing a sim until the end of 2006. That
shows how healthy simracing on the PC is...

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old January 5th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Anyway there's absolutely NO releases in the next 6 months. Zero,
> nothing. Not a frickin developper is releasing a sim until the end of
> 2006. That shows how healthy simracing on the PC is...

Evolution GT: March 2006.
Netkar Pro: Q1 2006

Old January 5th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"uncle"
There, I said it.

I give up. Everyone in here has gone from half way fun, to friggin english
101 teacher's aid. Sniveling and driveling over the tiniest bull****,
typo's or slang. Im sick of the "top poster" and the bull**** about "we
dont type like that around here, BULL****"

You want perfect prose, read a damn snob_ass_now_dead_author written book.
jeez. I could care less, because less is more.

Alan Bernardo enlightened us with:

Old January 5th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Bob Loblaw" > wrote in message
>> Anyway there's absolutely NO releases in the next 6 months. Zero,
>> nothing. Not a frickin developper is releasing a sim until the end of
>> 2006. That shows how healthy simracing on the PC is...
>>

> Evolution GT: March 2006.

I'm talking about racing sims, not GT clones for the console ported to the
PC as an afterthought.

> Netkar Pro: Q1 2006

Won't be fond on shelves, but hey independant gaming is never bad per so

Look people, there are no simracing titles that will appear on shelves of
stores in the future until the end of 2006 if they ever are. The only
possible one, is one that doesn't even have a publisher (the iRacing one).
We aren't even sure they will publish it in stores. Oh and probably the
usual ISI-base game engine sims to milk the cow. Hey they took the motto
from Papy, but instead of each 18 months they now are able to license their
game engine and make it each year. At least Papy make the effort to try to
fix basic problems in the game engine. Oh wait will ISI someday finally fix
the ****ing multi bug when somebody login? We ain't in 1995 anymore,
internet multiplayer is done in THOUSAND of games and none suffer from this
kind of lag anymore.

So you have 100 games on the shelves, NONE of them will be racing sims.
Some arcade games, some ported semi-sim games from the consoles to the PC,
older sims. But I forgot the community is healthy <roll eyes>

Old January 5th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

BTW Alan,

My post if I could kill it would been, as I notice it looks like I singled
you out, and it wasn't as funny as I thought it was when I was typing it.

Live long and brake early...

PlowBoy enlightened us with:

Old January 5th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

ymenard wrote:
> (...) Oh and probably the
> usual ISI-base game engine sims to milk the cow. Hey they took the motto
> from Papy, but instead of each 18 months they now are able to license their
> game engine and make it each year. At least Papy make the effort to try to
> fix basic problems in the game engine. Oh wait will ISI someday finally fix
> the ****ing multi bug when somebody login? We ain't in 1995 anymore,
> internet multiplayer is done in THOUSAND of games and none suffer from this
> kind of lag anymore.

Well I for one could live with an additional "ISI-base game engine sim"
if it is as good as GTL.

Granted, I tried very hard to like the various iterations of ISI's
engine in the F1 series and GTR and it consistently ended in
disappointement. Also I cannot play rFactor for more than 5 minutes
without getting motion sickness (and that is without TIR !) either
because of the graphics (textures ?) or the physics, I don't know...

....BUT while I prepared myself when I bought GTL for being disappointed
one last time and hating ISI, SimBin and the lot with a passion ever
after, I must say that I finally do enjoy one of their sims. There is no
such thing as a perfect sim, but:

- GTL's graphics are great on my not-so-spiffy PC (P4 2.8, ATI 9800)
- the cars are fun to drive and feel "realistic" to me (within the
limits of a PC sim);
- the tracks are interesting with these cars (while even a fast chicane
is an annoyance when driving an F1, it can be a lot of fun in an Elan);
- dare I say I like the career mode after all? (blasphemy, I know!);
- the AI behaviour is credible (a bit too fast for me in qual, but OK in
race);
- in my limited experience online (a couple of mini or alfa races), I
found the game to be very playable;
- for the first time on an ISI based sim, I didn't have to edit the .plr
file to get acceptable performance or controller settings;
- for once we euroweenies get it before the yanks
- altough the series depicted is not F1 1967 - it ain't no GPL... - this
sim also has an "atmosphere" (for lack of a better word).

My 0.02 €, regards,
Mr. Sylvestre
Old January 5th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"ymenard" > wrote in message
. ..
> >"David G Fisher" > wrote
>> What failure?

> What is a success for you?

You didn't answere the question, but I'lll answer yours. A success would be
a sim with the best combination of physics, grapics, and multiplay produced
yet. Don't know if they've succeeded financially. Probably never will.

>> I know you want it to fail since that was your prediction, but just
>> wanting it to fail doesn't make it happen. :-o

> I want quality and quantity, in both cars, tracks and multiplayer people
> online. rF has none of that.

GPL didn't have quantity, but you liked that. N2003 had one car and the same
tracks the two previous versions did, and you liked that. rFactor is higher
quality. As for people online, I have no idea how many are racing and either
do you. How many people race in leagues and private servers right now?
Thousands download these new tracks, so I'd guess plenty are racing
somewhere. All rFactor needs is a finished, high quality NASCAR mod (either
from the Pits or Bollinger) and then all of those N2003 drivers will be
racing it online. rFactor and it's concept is still in it's infancy. WAY to
soon to even begin to think it may have failed.

>> How many sales have they had so far? They have a new demo coming out
>> soon, and I suspect they still have a huge number of potential sales
>> awaiting them.

> Anyway there's absolutely NO releases in the next 6 months. Zero,
> nothing. Not a frickin developper is releasing a sim until the end of
> 2006. That shows how healthy simracing on the PC is...

Consoles are taking over. No surprise there.

--
David G Fisher

Old January 6th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Also I cannot play rFactor for more than 5 minutes without getting motion
> sickness (and that is without TIR !) either because of the graphics
> (textures ?) or the physics, I don't know...

riiiight....try a narrower FOV. :-\

eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] VW air cooled 4 December 21st 04 01:06 AM
eScrew [email protected] Driving 0 December 20th 04 10:52 AM
es [email protected] Chrysler 0 December 20th 04 10:16 AM
funny story about autos.tech [email protected] Technology 5 December 19th 04 10:50 PM