iRacing - Hardware

Old October 22nd 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

Default iRacing - Hardware

I have nothing against it either, was an early alpha tester in fact, I'm
jsut saying it isn't all new and innovative as many want to believe.
it also isn't the be all and end all for all simmers. It also falls short
in a number of areas that other sims already do.

Old October 22nd 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

schooner:
>I have nothing against it either, was an early alpha tester in fact, I'm
>jsut saying it isn't all new and innovative as many want to believe.
> it also isn't the be all and end all for all simmers. It also falls short
> in a number of areas that other sims already do.

Yes, you are right about that, thanks.
Although, when I read your post again I notice that you are not that
much right. I would say that introducing laser scanned tracks, and the whole
concept of sanctioning body and all this, is revolutionary for sim racing,
there is no doubt about it. Plus, iRacing developed the most important
things, like incident penalty, physics, FF. OTOH, it lacks on less
important things. Like a lot of people, I think that Kaemmer is the guy who
very well (actually, the best) places priorities. For example, weather would
only confuse things (for now). He excluded weather ON PURPOSE, not because
iRacing is unable to deliver. Smart guy. Once thing expand, then weather can
have some SENSE in the whole project. -- Mario Petrinovic

Old October 22nd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

Well I'm still waiting for an answer to my original question - what
league?

BTW, I have no idea if iRacing have any intention of doing what I
suggest. But with their setup and a little balls, inititive and desire I
believe they could do it.

How did Formula 1 get started?

Old October 24th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dirt

Back to the original topic, I got my wireless adapter and XP
recognized the 360 wheel and it calibrated fine. I dove in and joined
iRacing and spend a couple of hours with it last night. To my relief,
everything installed smoothly and there were no problems. The base
program was two downloads totaling ~750 meg! I let it auto-config and
I'm seeing a steady 50 fps at 1280x1024 resolution with pretty good
graphics. I'm not sure what is being left out because I haven't
explored the graphics options yet. I drove Sebring and there weren't
any grandstands along the pit straight, so I think some of the track
side objects are turned off. I may knock the resolution down tonight
and see if I can improve the fps a bit and add a few more track side
objects.

The little bit of driving I've done has me somewhat, <thinks a minute>
not disappointed, but just not as impressed as I was hoping. It's not
that anything is wrong, it's just that I suspect I had my expectations
set a little too high. It feels like NR2003 and, to a lesser extent
GPL, only with better graphics and a little more refinement from the
driving model. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting so I'll
refrain from saying anything bad because it wouldn't be fair to
criticize it for my own failings.

One bit of disappointment is that the 360 wheel doesn't have any force
feedback and the force feedback box is grayed out in the control
config screen. Other than that it works brilliantly. I'll have to
check into it tonight to see if I've mis-configured something or if it
just isn't supported by a PC the way I'm using it.

I haven't searched the menu system enough to find a rookie session
that allows me to drive against others. I skipped most of the intro
reading because I was anxious to drive a bit before bed time, so I've
nobody but myself to blame.

-Dirt-

Day 28 in the Big iRacing house <-- warning, long and about iRacing Andrew MacPherson Simulators 29 October 1st 08 08:54 AM
[Hardware] Things *not* to do on the day before pay day... Andrew MacPherson Simulators 29 September 9th 08 08:47 AM
soft top hardware Deano Jeep 6 February 6th 07 04:46 PM
need hardware advice.. Cris Eichler Simulators 15 September 15th 05 08:10 PM
Stake bed hardware [email protected] 4x4 1 December 28th 04 02:01 AM