Warranty Problems

Old June 6th 04, 12:08 AM
Stirling

Default Warranty Problems

Hi All

hope someone can help. Last year I bought a second hand alfa which was
registered march 02. The dealer had told me that the alfa had a three
year warranty from new (therefore 1.5 years left on it). Recently I
have taken in into the same dealership to get a part fixed, and was told
that i would have to pay for it because the car was no longer under
warranty.

Have I missed something?

Thanks in advance,

S.

Old June 6th 04, 01:00 AM
Stirling

SS wrote:
> sounds like an Irish import I think.
>
> my 02 147 has 1 year dealer and 2 further years aftermarket warranty as its
> standard package.
> Mine was an Irish import at new so I guess that could be why..
> but you should still have some left - have you checked the documents - there
> should be a booklet for it.
>
> SS

Thanks for the quick reply,

If it was an import car should I not have been told before purchase? At
the time the dealer had lead me to believe the car was NOT an import
because I had seen a similar spec'd model at a lower price (from another
garage) and he had told me THAT car was probably an import.

If it is an import is there any way I can verify this (apart from having
no warranty)?

Thanks again,

S.

Old June 6th 04, 09:12 AM
Alfistagj

"Stirling" > schreef in bericht
> The dealer had told me that the alfa had a three
> year warranty from new (therefore 1.5 years left on it).

Nothing in writing on the sales contract!?
Anyway, his word is enough.
Just go to court and get what he promissed you (or try you local comsumers
federation / a national tv show / your legal assistance insurrance (if not
seperate for your household, many car insurrance policies have it included)
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old June 7th 04, 01:00 PM

"SS" > wrote in message >...
> sounds like an Irish import I think.
>
> my 02 147 has 1 year dealer and 2 further years aftermarket warranty as its
> standard package.
> Mine was an Irish import at new so I guess that could be why..
> but you should still have some left - have you checked the documents - there
> should be a booklet for it.
>
> SS

Hi SS,
I don't know where you bought your Irish import through, but I have
an Irish import which I bought in April 2002 and it had an Alfa
warranty for 2 years [not one], plus one year FREE from the UK
importer garage, plus one year AA breakdown cover supplied FREE by the
Irish importer. And as proof of the 2 year Alfa warranty, I had new
rear bushes [only very slightly worn] and windsceen washer jets
replaced at 23 months 28 days by an Alfa dealer.
John, UK.
Old June 10th 04, 09:47 PM

Stirling > wrote in message >...
> wrote:
> > "SS" > wrote in message >...
> >
> >>sounds like an Irish import I think.
> >>
> >>my 02 147 has 1 year dealer and 2 further years aftermarket warranty as its
> >>standard package.
> >>Mine was an Irish import at new so I guess that could be why..
> >>but you should still have some left - have you checked the documents - there
> >>should be a booklet for it.
> >>
> >>SS

> > Hi SS,
> > I don't know where you bought your Irish import through, but I have
> > an Irish import which I bought in April 2002 and it had an Alfa
> > warranty for 2 years [not one], plus one year FREE from the UK
> > importer garage, plus one year AA breakdown cover supplied FREE by the
> > Irish importer. And as proof of the 2 year Alfa warranty, I had new
> > rear bushes [only very slightly worn] and windsceen washer jets
> > replaced at 23 months 28 days by an Alfa dealer.
> > John, UK.

> Hi,
>
> do you know the difference in value between an import and UK car (after
> 1 year?). At the time I had seen cars of the same spec, at about
> £1K - 1.5K cheeper the dealer had said that those cars where imports
> would this be about right?
>
> S.

Hi S.
I wouldn't like to say what price difference there should be after one
year,I find when I talk to dealers salesmen they tend to say anything
that comes into their heads when it comes to imports. They are saying
anything they can to bring down the imported cars, because they are
loosing sales to the importers and independants. If you buy a british
spec car I can tell you now that there is no difference apart from a
small Lusso badge behind the front wheel. If the prices you have seen
are correct, then I will be quite happy when I come to sell mine, if I
loose £1k, I would still have saved £1.600. buying an import. A dealer
fitted a new computer onto my car when it was only days old, then he
said that with it being an import the computers are different AND THE
NEW ONE WOULDN'T WORK because it is for a UK car, when he got in touch
with Alfa GB.They told him how he should set it up correctly, and low
and behold it seemed to work instantly. So if the car priced £1k/£1.5k
is still there, go back and look at it again and ask if it is an
import, they have to tell you by law. And if you buy it, it may help
the dealers next year to bring their cars down further.
One last point, my 147 came with a 10 stack CD, the UK's come with a
single CD. I surpose it helps the dealers keep their prices down. My
car is 2 years old now and it goes great, and I love it.And the £2600
I saved.
John, UK.