Safe to drive with a leaking water pump?

Old July 18th 05, 09:47 AM
Ron Armstrong

Default Safe to drive with a leaking water pump?

My 93 Audi 100 has coolant leaking from behind the belt cover area so I can
only assume it is the water pump. Is it safe to drive it like this until I
have the money to have it fixed, or do I risk breaking the timing belt?
Thanks

Old July 18th 05, 11:25 AM
Ronny

"Ron Armstrong" > wrote in message
link.net...
> My 93 Audi 100 has coolant leaking from behind the belt cover area so I
> can
> only assume it is the water pump. Is it safe to drive it like this until
> have the money to have it fixed, or do I risk breaking the timing belt?
> Thanks

It should be ok, my last Audi A4 had a slight water leak for the whole time
I owned it, just when it says low coolant just top it up, or you could try
adding some sealant, like RADWELD etc, people will come back and say how bad
it is for the engine, but it's worked ok for me when I had no money.

When was the timing belt last changed? that's the most important thing.

Think about it as a calculated risk, personally I would use some sealant and
forget about it, but it's your choice

Old July 18th 05, 12:05 PM
R@L

"Ron Armstrong" > wrote in message
link.net...
> My 93 Audi 100 has coolant leaking from behind the belt cover area so I
> can
> only assume it is the water pump. Is it safe to drive it like this until
> have the money to have it fixed, or do I risk breaking the timing belt?
> Thanks

It can get worse very quickly.

Ronald

Old July 18th 05, 07:41 PM
Steve68s

"R@L" > wrote in message
l...
> "Ron Armstrong" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>> My 93 Audi 100 has coolant leaking from behind the belt cover area so I
>> can
>> only assume it is the water pump. Is it safe to drive it like this until
>> have the money to have it fixed, or do I risk breaking the timing belt?
>> Thanks
>>

> It can get worse very quickly.
>
> Ronald

It may be ok to drive it & keep topping it, up, but the worst case scenario
is you loose all the water & seize the engine, this will cost more to fix
:-) what size engine is it? the 2.0 ABK engine is very easy to work on,

Steve.

Old July 18th 05, 07:59 PM
Ron Armstrong

It's a pretty good size leak, a steady drip that leaves puddles of coolant
running down my driveway. So would the coolant be getting onto the timing
belt, or why does my mechanic think it will break the belt? I only ask
because the shop that does my car wants to do the front end job with new
t-belt/water pump for a grand. I talked to a Goodyear Gemeini and they said
they could do it for about $550, so I might just take it to them for half
the price.

Old July 18th 05, 10:08 PM
Steve68s

"Ron Armstrong" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> It's a pretty good size leak, a steady drip that leaves puddles of coolant
> running down my driveway. So would the coolant be getting onto the timing
> belt, or why does my mechanic think it will break the belt? I only ask
> because the shop that does my car wants to do the front end job with new
> t-belt/water pump for a grand. I talked to a Goodyear Gemeini and they
> said
> they could do it for about $550, so I might just take it to them for half
> the price.

what engine type/size is it?

Steve.

Old July 19th 05, 12:29 AM
R@L

"Steve68s" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Ron Armstrong" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> It's a pretty good size leak, a steady drip that leaves puddles of
>> coolant
>> running down my driveway. So would the coolant be getting onto the timing
>> belt, or why does my mechanic think it will break the belt? I only ask
>> because the shop that does my car wants to do the front end job with new
>> t-belt/water pump for a grand. I talked to a Goodyear Gemeini and they
>> said
>> they could do it for about $550, so I might just take it to them for half
>> the price.
>>

> what engine type/size is it?
>
> Steve.

It should be a regular 2.3 or 2.2 L 5 cyl, i guess.

Ronald

Old July 19th 05, 01:09 AM
Ron Armstrong

"R@L" > wrote in message
l...
> "Steve68s" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Ron Armstrong" > wrote in message
> > nk.net...
> >> It's a pretty good size leak, a steady drip that leaves puddles of
> >> coolant
> >> running down my driveway. So would the coolant be getting onto the

timing
> >> belt, or why does my mechanic think it will break the belt? I only ask
> >> because the shop that does my car wants to do the front end job with

new
> >> t-belt/water pump for a grand. I talked to a Goodyear Gemeini and they
> >> said
> >> they could do it for about $550, so I might just take it to them for

half
> >> the price.
> >>

> > what engine type/size is it?

it's a 2.8 V6

I got the model wrong, it's actually a 90 and not 100...sorry about that

Old July 19th 05, 01:15 AM
Ron Armstrong

The timing belt was last changed around 65,000 miles ago. I'm asking this
for a friend, that's why I was a little confused on models. I think we're
just going to order the parts from www.volksparts.com, since they offer
everything for the front end job in a kit, and take it to a shop to put the
parts in.

Old July 19th 05, 10:29 AM
Ronny

Ron Armstrong wrote:
> The timing belt was last changed around 65,000 miles ago. I'm
> asking this for a friend, that's why I was a little confused on
> models. I think we're just going to order the parts from
> www.volksparts.com, since they offer everything for the front end job
> in a kit, and take it to a shop to put the parts in.

Sounds like a perfect plan

The timing belt will need doing around now anyway, so get it all done at the
same time, and $550 seems like a fair price.