Jeep and BMW

Old April 13th 06, 05:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Jeep and BMW

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> The BMW motor won't work well in your Jeep, ESPECIALLY if you are into
> offroading. The BMW motor makes its power and and torque well above idle,
> but the Jeep really needs its power to come on just off of idle. There
> isn't enough torque in the BMW motor to make offroading very rewarding.
> Now, if you wanted a Jeep that could do 130 mph, and kicked the power on
> at 3000+ RPM, then the BMW motor is just the thing.
>
> I suggest you look at a V8 instead of a 6 anyway. The 8 and the 4 are the
> same length, the 6 is much longer. This means that stuff has to move fore
> or aft with the 6 that might remain where it is with the 4 to 8
> conversion. And, the 8 makes torque at idle, if you get the right one.

Buick 455? anyway, the most favorable in my eyes is a diesel... but right
now just exploring options. Thanks to all for the input.

Matt

Old April 14th 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I think you should look again, heads are bmw remans, gauges, stepper
motors, Airflow meter, stereo, amps, seat controls, seat motors, clock,
locks, window regulators, the list goes on and on... pull the parts,
take a look, there is a bmw stamp on each of them. also alot of the
parts interchange, lots of E38 4.0 motor parts are the exact same. Keep
in mind that BMW funded rover for a good part of the 90s before they
gave it to ford. and while the 03-5 RaRo has the bmw motor, isnt that
as far as it goes? suspension etc.. is still LR, right... at least
until ford has them for a while longer...

Old April 15th 06, 03:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> The BMW motor won't work well in your Jeep, ESPECIALLY if you are into
>> offroading. The BMW motor makes its power and and torque well above idle,
>> but the Jeep really needs its power to come on just off of idle. There
>> isn't enough torque in the BMW motor to make offroading very rewarding.
>> Now, if you wanted a Jeep that could do 130 mph, and kicked the power on
>> at 3000+ RPM, then the BMW motor is just the thing.
>>
>> I suggest you look at a V8 instead of a 6 anyway. The 8 and the 4 are the
>> same length, the 6 is much longer. This means that stuff has to move fore
>> or aft with the 6 that might remain where it is with the 4 to 8
>> conversion. And, the 8 makes torque at idle, if you get the right one.

> Nah. There is tons of room in the engine compartment of a Wrangler for an
> inline 6 and the 4.0 liter straight 6 makes plenty of power way down low.
> That, and you can buy a complete drive train (engine, transmission and
> transfer case) that was factory equipment and will drop right in.

Of course there's plenty of room. but, if one is converting from 4 to 6, why
not convert to 8? The cost is essentially the same, but the reward is much
higher. I've got a Jeep with the L6 motor, and I wouldn't change it for the
world, but if I had a 4, I wouldn't hesitate to drop in an 8 instead of a 6.

Old April 15th 06, 12:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> Of course there's plenty of room. but, if one is converting from 4 to 6,
> why not convert to 8? The cost is essentially the same, but the reward
> is much higher. I've got a Jeep with the L6 motor, and I wouldn't change
> it for the world, but if I had a 4, I wouldn't hesitate to drop in an 8
> instead of a 6.

A couple of reasons.

Most importantly, weight. While the cast iron 6 cyl is no
featherweight, dropping a big V8 lump in there will certainly bias the
weight even further towards the front and probably require some custom
respringing.

Vibration. An I6 is smoother, especially at low rpm than any V8.

Ease of conversion. You just find a junker Jeep with the drivetrain you
want and transfer the goods. Jeep does not fit V8's in and modern (fuel
injected) models.

Gas mileage. Except the 4.0 Jeep I6 is a freekin gas hog already, so
forget about that one.

In reality, while I owned an I6 Jeep Wrangler before, the 4 cylinder is
actually the best engine, for a host of reasons. Yes, the vibration is
a bit higher but, hey... we're talking Jeeps right? It weighs much
less, has nearly the same power and torque and the fuel mileage is
almost normal.

--
-Fred W
Old April 15th 06, 02:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> In reality, while I owned an I6 Jeep Wrangler before, the 4 cylinder is
> actually the best engine, for a host of reasons. Yes, the vibration is a
> bit higher but, hey... we're talking Jeeps right? It weighs much less,
> has nearly the same power and torque and the fuel mileage is almost
> normal.

I can't agree that the 4 is the best... it has no where near the power of
the 6, the fuel economy is about the same and they don't hold up. The six
lasts for 200k pretty easily, where both of the 4 abngers I've had are
getting noticibly tired at about 100k.

Matt

Old April 15th 06, 04:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>

>> Of course there's plenty of room. but, if one is converting from 4 to 6,
>> why not convert to 8? The cost is essentially the same, but the reward is
>> much higher. I've got a Jeep with the L6 motor, and I wouldn't change it
>> for the world, but if I had a 4, I wouldn't hesitate to drop in an 8
>> instead of a 6.
>>

> A couple of reasons.
>
> Most importantly, weight. While the cast iron 6 cyl is no featherweight,
> dropping a big V8 lump in there will certainly bias the weight even
> further towards the front and probably require some custom respringing.
>
> Vibration. An I6 is smoother, especially at low rpm than any V8.
>
> Ease of conversion. You just find a junker Jeep with the drivetrain you
> want and transfer the goods. Jeep does not fit V8's in and modern (fuel
> injected) models.
>
> Gas mileage. Except the 4.0 Jeep I6 is a freekin gas hog already, so
> forget about that one.
>
> In reality, while I owned an I6 Jeep Wrangler before, the 4 cylinder is
> actually the best engine, for a host of reasons. Yes, the vibration is a
> bit higher but, hey... we're talking Jeeps right? It weighs much less,
> has nearly the same power and torque and the fuel mileage is almost
> normal.

I agree that the 4 is perhaps the best engine in a Jeep. The ONLY downside
to the 4 is that it is a gutless wonder on the freeway, but it shines in
nearly every kind of offroading environment, especially where brute strength
takes a backseat to finesse and proper line.

Having said that, I still like the 8 over the 6 IF these are transplant
options away from the 4. The weight of the 8 isn't significantly greater
than the 6, and since it's shorter the weight is biased towards the center
of the vehicle anyway.

Old April 15th 06, 04:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Matthew Warren" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>> The BMW motor won't work well in your Jeep, ESPECIALLY if you are into
>> offroading. The BMW motor makes its power and and torque well above idle,
>> but the Jeep really needs its power to come on just off of idle. There
>> isn't enough torque in the BMW motor to make offroading very rewarding.
>> Now, if you wanted a Jeep that could do 130 mph, and kicked the power on
>> at 3000+ RPM, then the BMW motor is just the thing.
>>
>> I suggest you look at a V8 instead of a 6 anyway. The 8 and the 4 are the
>> same length, the 6 is much longer. This means that stuff has to move fore
>> or aft with the 6 that might remain where it is with the 4 to 8
>> conversion. And, the 8 makes torque at idle, if you get the right one.
>>

> Buick 455? anyway, the most favorable in my eyes is a diesel... but
> right now just exploring options. Thanks to all for the input.

Well, no. I was thinking more along the lines of a small block V8. The most
popular candidate seems to be the Chevy 350, or the Ford 302. There is a guy
in California that drops in 5.0L Mustang motors into Jeeps. He is a bit
pricey, but if he can do it and you can do the swap of another engine, you
can drop in the Mustang motor too.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will have to keep the smog system of
whichever is the NEWER, the motor or the chassis. That is, if you find an
old Z28 motor from a '69 Camaro, you will have to make it work with the smog
equipment that you have on the Jeep -- which is probably the next best thing
to impossible -- but if you get a motor from a late model Mustang, then you
have to bring it's engine management computer along too.

I'm not very excited about the prospect of diesel fumes on the trail, but
the low end torque is cool.

Old April 15th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Matthew Warren" > wrote in message
>

>> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>>
>>> The BMW motor won't work well in your Jeep, ESPECIALLY if you are
>>> into offroading. The BMW motor makes its power and and torque well
>>> above idle, but the Jeep really needs its power to come on just off
>>> of idle. There isn't enough torque in the BMW motor to make
>>> offroading very rewarding. Now, if you wanted a Jeep that could do
>>> 130 mph, and kicked the power on at 3000+ RPM, then the BMW motor is
>>> just the thing.
>>>
>>> I suggest you look at a V8 instead of a 6 anyway. The 8 and the 4 are
>>> the same length, the 6 is much longer. This means that stuff has to
>>> move fore or aft with the 6 that might remain where it is with the 4
>>> to 8 conversion. And, the 8 makes torque at idle, if you get the
>>> right one.
>>>

>> Buick 455? anyway, the most favorable in my eyes is a diesel... but
>> right now just exploring options. Thanks to all for the input.
>>

> Well, no. I was thinking more along the lines of a small block V8. The
> most popular candidate seems to be the Chevy 350, or the Ford 302. There
> is a guy in California that drops in 5.0L Mustang motors into Jeeps. He
> is a bit pricey, but if he can do it and you can do the swap of another
> engine, you can drop in the Mustang motor too.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that you will have to keep the smog system
> of whichever is the NEWER, the motor or the chassis. That is, if you
> find an old Z28 motor from a '69 Camaro, you will have to make it work
> with the smog equipment that you have on the Jeep -- which is probably
> the next best thing to impossible -- but if you get a motor from a late
> model Mustang, then you have to bring it's engine management computer
> along too.
>
> I'm not very excited about the prospect of diesel fumes on the trail,
> but the low end torque is cool.

Personally I've always wanted to put a Chevy 4.3 v6 in a Wrangler (use
an S-10 Trany and t-case (Chevy and Jeep use the same basic transfer
cases). I think my 4.3 S-10 has better low end and off idle power than
the 4.0 Jeeps I've had. But it doesn't have as much top end power as
the 4.0 i6 and is definitely not a smooth or pleasant engine in any way.

Todd Zuercher