Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

Old January 27th 06, 09:55 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

Default Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

I drive back & forth to work each day (60 miles a day round trip) and
have a budget of $15,000. I've narrowed down my decision to 2
possibilities and want to make a move tonight.

I can buy a 1998 BMW 328is with 80,000 miles for $15,000.

Or I can buy a 2005 Chevy Impala with 18,000 miles for $15,000.

I've driven both vehicles and like them both.

The BMW has a more expensive, smooth feel to it. I know that BMW is
well manufactured and will probably last at least until 300,000 miles.
The car is in immaculate condition, the owner was the original and only
brought it in to trade it for a new BMW.

The Impala is almost brand new and low on miles. It has more interior
room, room to stretch out. I've done some research on the Impala and
they all say this is a car that is well manufactured, but I don't have
any real experience to know if the '05 will stand the test of time.

Which would you buy in this situation? My biggest concern on the BMW
are repairs. If this 328is breaks down I would most likely have to pay
more to get it fixed than I would the Impala. How much more to fix a
BMW than an American car, on average? I also need to know if the 328is
is one of the BMWs that have mechanical defects or will not last, I've
read of a few older BMW models not being very strong on reliability
over 100,000 miles.

Respond to group, thanks.

Old January 27th 06, 10:46 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

wrote:
> snip
> My biggest concern on the BMW
> are repairs.
> snip
> Respond to group, thanks.

Check out the attached link to AllData.Com and make sure that the BMW
has been in for all callback issues:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/98067833.html

Old January 27th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

Why not buy a new car rather than depending on a car somebody else no longer
wanted, to get you to your place of employment?

mike hunt

Old January 27th 06, 11:25 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

According to a Canadiandriver.ca (if memory is faithfull), you should avoid
Impalas that come with the 3.4L engine. Apparently, they have problems with
the head gasket leaking on higher mileage vehicule.

oups.com...

Old January 27th 06, 11:48 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

> Why not buy a new car rather than depending on a car somebody else no
> longer wanted, to get you to your place of employment?

I'm not willing to endure the $5,000 dollars that goes up in smoke
(depreciation) the moment you drive a new car off of the lot. I like
being able to buy a car and if I need to, turn around and sell it at
roughly the same price.

Old January 27th 06, 11:50 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

wrote:

> I drive back & forth to work each day (60 miles a day round trip) and
> have a budget of $15,000. I've narrowed down my decision to 2
> possibilities and want to make a move tonight.
>
> I can buy a 1998 BMW 328is with 80,000 miles for $15,000.
>
> Or I can buy a 2005 Chevy Impala with 18,000 miles for $15,000.
>
> I've driven both vehicles and like them both.
>
> The BMW has a more expensive, smooth feel to it. I know that BMW is
> well manufactured and will probably last at least until 300,000 miles.
> The car is in immaculate condition, the owner was the original and only
> brought it in to trade it for a new BMW.
>
> The Impala is almost brand new and low on miles. It has more interior
> room, room to stretch out. I've done some research on the Impala and
> they all say this is a car that is well manufactured, but I don't have
> any real experience to know if the '05 will stand the test of time.
>
> Which would you buy in this situation? My biggest concern on the BMW
> are repairs. If this 328is breaks down I would most likely have to pay
> more to get it fixed than I would the Impala. How much more to fix a
> BMW than an American car, on average? I also need to know if the 328is
> is one of the BMWs that have mechanical defects or will not last, I've
> read of a few older BMW models not being very strong on reliability
> over 100,000 miles.
>
> Respond to group, thanks.

Well, I have a 97 328 with 125,000 miles that I will never sell or trade -
I think it's that good. My biggest problem is after driving 600 miles in
one day, I still don't want to get out and stop for the night. 98 should
be at least as good. HOWEVER,

1. At 80,000 on the BMW, you should probably follow Roundel tech advisor
Mike Miller's advice to replace thermostat, water pump and radiator on it.
I've done that on mine.

2. It likely needs some brake work, unless the mileage is mainly highway.

3. Is it an automatic trans - seem to be lots of problems with these. I
have a manual.

Your call. A 60 mile commute is long enough to thoroughly enjoy a BMW, if
you're "into it", and if you know a good independent mechanic, repairs
should not be too bad, provided you keep up with the maintenance. The
impala is a good deal, though, if you like the car - I have no idea as to
reliability, and no opinion on the car itself. At 18,000 miles the Impala
shouldn't need anything for quite some time, so, obviously the best
financial deal.

Frank

Old January 28th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

Bassplayer12 wrote:
> According to a Canadiandriver.ca (if memory is faithfull), you should avoid
> Impalas that come with the 3.4L engine. Apparently, they have problems with
> the head gasket leaking on higher mileage vehicule.
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I drive back & forth to work each day (60 miles a day round trip) and
>>have a budget of $15,000. I've narrowed down my decision to 2
>>possibilities and want to make a move tonight.
>>
>>I can buy a 1998 BMW 328is with 80,000 miles for $15,000.
>>
>>Or I can buy a 2005 Chevy Impala with 18,000 miles for $15,000.
>>
>>I've driven both vehicles and like them both.

I'd say if you're equally happy driving the Impala, then buy it. It will
cost you less in the long run. The BMW is a much better driving car, but
it's getting to the expensive to maintain stage. I also think $15K is
way high for a '98 328is.

Old January 28th 06, 12:40 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

Why would you or anybody want to sell a new car they just bought?? It is
not like one can find many used cars that do not have any mileage on the
clock, it is the mileage and wear and tear that causes the deprecation. Buy
a new car and let it sit in a garage for ten years and see what it is worth
compared to one 150,000 miles on the clock

mike hunt

oups.com...

Old January 28th 06, 04:58 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.gm

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I drive back & forth to work each day (60 miles a day round trip) and
> have a budget of $15,000. I've narrowed down my decision to 2
> possibilities and want to make a move tonight.

I honestly would try to come up with about $2,000 more and get a new Civic
or the like with a warranty.

SO