New Yorker in Dynasty body

Old July 5th 05, 09:01 PM

Default New Yorker in Dynasty body

The other day, I saw what I thought was a Dodge Dynasty. When I got
closer, I noticed that on the panel between the tailights, it read *New
Yorker.*

I know that the basic body for the Dynasty and the New Yorker were
simliar, at that time, but they were also different. For example, the
Dynasty had fixed headlights, while the New Yorker's were the
*retractable* type. The tailights were also different.

Is it possible that the New Yorker that I saw was either a European or
Canadian built version, using the Dynasty body?

Also, what year did the New Yorker switch over the the *LH* body?

Thanks,

Kirk Matheson

Old July 6th 05, 03:08 PM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 wrote:
>
> > The other day, I saw what I thought was a Dodge Dynasty. When I got
> > closer, I noticed that on the panel between the tailights, it read *New
> > Yorker.* I know that the basic body for the Dynasty and the New Yorker
> > were simliar, at that time, but they were also different. For example,
> > the Dynasty had fixed headlights, while the New Yorker's were the
> > *retractable* type. The tailights were also different.

> ...but the rear lamp clusters as a complete left-center-right assembly are
> interchangeable.
>
> > Is it possible that the New Yorker that I saw was either a European or
> > Canadian built version, using the Dynasty body?

> No. In the first place, there were no European-built or European-spec
> Dynasty-type cars by any name. The European lineup in the Dynasty era was
> Chrysler Saratoga (AA-body, Dodge Spirit type car), Chrysler LeBaron
> (AJ-body, coupe/convertible), Chrysler Daytona and Chrysler Voyager.
>
> In the second place, the Canadian versions of the Dynasty body were
> Chrysler Dynasty and Chrysler New Yorker.
>
> > Also, what year did the New Yorker switch over the the *LH* body?

> 1994.

I took a closer look at it last night, when I saw it again. On the
panel behind the rear doors, it reads *Salon* where the *Dynasty*
insignia would normally be. Also, the grill is not the same as a
Dynasty. It is made up of vertically oriented *bars.* Was the Salon the
entry-level trim package for the New Yorker?

-Kirk Matheson

Old July 7th 05, 04:57 AM
b.clausen

I had a 93 New Yorker Salon, while my parents had a 93 Dynasty, same car
basically. The New Yorker had some higher level options tho, like auto
headlights, stuff like that. It was a good car, never had any problems with
it, nor did my parents with the 2 Dynasty's they owned. Ok, i had one
problem, the headlight switch roasted itself, went to get a new one at
Autozone, they wanted like $80, because of the auto headlight option, which
mine didnt have, so i got one for a 93 Dynasty, $19, fit like the original.
I kinda prefered the looks of the New Yorker because of the hide away
headlights, had a 92 Lebaron Coupe with the same, love that look.