Question Platium Spark Plugs

Old May 20th 05, 04:38 AM
Jason

Default Question Platium Spark Plugs

I visited the Honda Parts Department and asked the person behind the
counter to give me the price of Platium Spark Plugs that would fit in my
vehicle. I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX (4 cyld.). He told me the part
number of the plugs that I needed:
PZFR5F-11
He told me that the price per plug was $21.30 and the price for 4 plugs
was $85.20. I thought this was too much money to pay for spark plugs. I
called a auto store and they told me they charged about the same price for
those same plugs but could sell me other platium spark plugs made by
another company that cost less than $5.00 per plug. Why do the platium
spark plugs mentioned above cost so much more than other platium plugs?
Are they special made for Honda vehicles?

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old May 20th 05, 05:12 AM
jim beam

Jason wrote:
> I visited the Honda Parts Department and asked the person behind the
> counter to give me the price of Platium Spark Plugs that would fit in my
> vehicle. I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX (4 cyld.). He told me the part
> number of the plugs that I needed:
> PZFR5F-11
> He told me that the price per plug was $21.30 and the price for 4 plugs
> was $85.20. I thought this was too much money to pay for spark plugs. I
> called a auto store and they told me they charged about the same price for
> those same plugs but could sell me other platium spark plugs made by
> another company that cost less than $5.00 per plug. Why do the platium
> spark plugs mentioned above cost so much more than other platium plugs?
> Are they special made for Honda vehicles?

http://sparkplugs.com/results_cross....F-11&x=33&y=10

sure you can find cheaper if you shop around.

Old May 20th 05, 06:33 AM
Todd

I think the Honda Parts Dept just try to screw you. Last year I wanted to
replace the air filter on my 2002 CRV at 30,000. Honda Dealer tried to
sell one to me for $28 and I got it at NAPA for $13. I can't believe the
Honda filter was any better than the Napa one for the money.

Old May 20th 05, 07:05 AM
y_p_w

jim beam wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>
>> I visited the Honda Parts Department and asked the person behind the
>> counter to give me the price of Platium Spark Plugs that would fit in my
>> vehicle. I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX (4 cyld.). He told me the part
>> number of the plugs that I needed:
>> PZFR5F-11
>> He told me that the price per plug was $21.30 and the price for 4 plugs
>> was $85.20. I thought this was too much money to pay for spark plugs. I
>> called a auto store and they told me they charged about the same price
>> for
>> those same plugs but could sell me other platium spark plugs made by
>> another company that cost less than $5.00 per plug. Why do the platium
>> spark plugs mentioned above cost so much more than other platium plugs?
>> Are they special made for Honda vehicles?
>>

> http://sparkplugs.com/results_cross....F-11&x=33&y=10
>
> sure you can find cheaper if you shop around.

For your car, you might be better off with regular NGK plugs changed
every 15-30K miles. There's no performance benefit to a platinum
plug in your engine, Total cost should be about $8 for four. I'd
think the main reason for platinums is a V6 or some high-output
engines (DOHC VTEC). Changing plugs on an inline engine is a
breeze. For a V6, the long life platinum plugs are nice because
the back plugs are a PITA to change.

I don't know if regular plugs are spec'ed in your owner's manual, but
NGK lists the ZFR5F-11. Of course check your manual and/or the
applications guide.

As for your original question, NGK platinums use a lot of platinum.
There's one spot fused to the ground electrode and another fused to
the center electrode. Other plugs may only have a single platinum
spot on the center electrode. These plugs aren't really "long
life" as the ground electrode fouls up just as easily as a standard
plug. I don't trust Autolite, Champion, or Bosch. NGK or Denso
are the only way to go with a Honda engine.

I think AutoZone carries Denso plugs. Their platinum plugs are
excellent, although I really don't believe you need them.

<http://www.densoaftermarket.com/online_catalog.php?part=sprk&year=1999&make=HONDA& model=ACCORD>
Old May 20th 05, 12:37 PM
John Ings

On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:33:59 -0500, "Todd" >
wrote:

>I think the Honda Parts Dept just try to screw you. Last year I wanted to
>replace the air filter on my 2002 CRV at 30,000. Honda Dealer tried to
>sell one to me for $28 and I got it at NAPA for $13. I can't believe the
>Honda filter was any better than the Napa one for the money.

It might have been, but in general you're right about dealer prices.
You pay for the name. Here's a personal experience from way back when
I could afford Jaguars. The automatic transmission in my MK VII was
made by Borg Warner, since in the 1950s only the US made automatic
transmissions. I needed a part for what is essentially an American
product. The prices for the exact same part broke down as follows:
From a Mercedes Benz dealer $38
From a Jaguar dealer $32
From a Studebaker dealer $25
From an auto parts store $23

Old May 20th 05, 03:42 PM
MAT

How about gapping iridium/platinum plugs? I'm gonna swap out the OEM
iridium plugs while I do a valve adjustment soon on my Civic. Are they
truly pre-gapped and should be left alone??

Old May 21st 05, 01:57 AM
Jason

In article . net>, y_p_w
> wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
> > Jason wrote:
> >
> >> I visited the Honda Parts Department and asked the person behind the
> >> counter to give me the price of Platium Spark Plugs that would fit in my
> >> vehicle. I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX (4 cyld.). He told me the part
> >> number of the plugs that I needed:
> >> PZFR5F-11
> >> He told me that the price per plug was $21.30 and the price for 4 plugs
> >> was $85.20. I thought this was too much money to pay for spark plugs. I
> >> called a auto store and they told me they charged about the same price
> >> for
> >> those same plugs but could sell me other platium spark plugs made by
> >> another company that cost less than $5.00 per plug. Why do the platium
> >> spark plugs mentioned above cost so much more than other platium plugs?
> >> Are they special made for Honda vehicles?
> >>

> > http://sparkplugs.com/results_cross....F-11&x=33&y=10
> >
> > sure you can find cheaper if you shop around.

> For your car, you might be better off with regular NGK plugs changed
> every 15-30K miles. There's no performance benefit to a platinum
> plug in your engine, Total cost should be about $8 for four. I'd
> think the main reason for platinums is a V6 or some high-output
> engines (DOHC VTEC). Changing plugs on an inline engine is a
> breeze. For a V6, the long life platinum plugs are nice because
> the back plugs are a PITA to change.
>
> I don't know if regular plugs are spec'ed in your owner's manual, but
> NGK lists the ZFR5F-11. Of course check your manual and/or the
> applications guide.
>
> As for your original question, NGK platinums use a lot of platinum.
> There's one spot fused to the ground electrode and another fused to
> the center electrode. Other plugs may only have a single platinum
> spot on the center electrode. These plugs aren't really "long
> life" as the ground electrode fouls up just as easily as a standard
> plug. I don't trust Autolite, Champion, or Bosch. NGK or Denso
> are the only way to go with a Honda engine.
>
> I think AutoZone carries Denso plugs. Their platinum plugs are
> excellent, although I really don't believe you need them.

<http://www.densoaftermarket.com/online_catalog.php?part=sprk&year=1999&make=HONDA& model=ACCORD>

The part number for the regular NGK plugs is actually written on a label
under the hood of my Honda. I have always used the regular NGK plugs until
this year. However, I recently an article on the NGK website that stated:
"Platinum spark plugs last much longer than conventional spark plugs and
perform more consistently over the course of their service life." That's
why I wanted to try them. One poster told me that he tried them and did
not notice any difference related to power or torque when he installed the
NGK platinum plugs. I'm sure he was correct based upon the info. at the
NGK website.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Opinion - Spark plugs for '98 3.0 Voyager Ken Peterson Chrysler 24 March 20th 05 02:04 AM
Spark Plugs for 93 SL1 SOHC Gary Compton Saturn 3 July 18th 04 12:33 PM
spark plugs condition newsgroup Saturn 2 July 11th 04 09:08 PM
Bosch Platium Spark plugs? Canaan Apollyon Saturn 16 June 7th 04 04:44 AM
How to change spark plugs on Ford Contour V6? Jian General 0 January 21st 04 04:45 AM