Trailer Ball on Bumper on '91

Old February 17th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

Default Trailer Ball on Bumper on '91

My wife got pulled over because I put a trailer ball in the trailer ball
hole on the bumper of my '91 because it "obstructs the view of the license
plate." This sounds like bull**** to me. Anyone know if it's illegal to
put a ball where it was intended to go? Or was this cop just trying to pick
up on my wife? She didn't get a ticket.

Old February 18th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Art McClinton

I do not know about all states but within VA I know that is the rule. I do
not know if it is a primary offense but they can (but very rarely do) ticket
for that offense. I was just notified that my license plates are now 12
years old and that I should have them replaced. They further told me that if
the plate was not readable that it was likewise a misdemeanor.

Old February 18th 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:44:45 -0800, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

>My wife got pulled over because I put a trailer ball in the trailer ball
>hole on the bumper of my '91 because it "obstructs the view of the license
>plate." This sounds like bull**** to me. Anyone know if it's illegal to
>put a ball where it was intended to go? Or was this cop just trying to pick
>up on my wife? She didn't get a ticket.

And if you were towing something wouldn't that obstruct the view so is
all towing illegal?
Old February 18th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:44:45 -0800, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>
> >My wife got pulled over because I put a trailer ball in the trailer ball
> >hole on the bumper of my '91 because it "obstructs the view of the

license
> >plate." This sounds like bull**** to me. Anyone know if it's illegal to
> >put a ball where it was intended to go? Or was this cop just trying to

pick
> >up on my wife? She didn't get a ticket.
> >

> And if you were towing something wouldn't that obstruct the view so is
> all towing illegal?

That was my thought too.

Old February 19th 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Hairy

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:44:45 -0800, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>
>>My wife got pulled over because I put a trailer ball in the trailer ball
>>hole on the bumper of my '91 because it "obstructs the view of the license
>>plate." This sounds like bull**** to me. Anyone know if it's illegal to
>>put a ball where it was intended to go? Or was this cop just trying to
>>pick
>>up on my wife? She didn't get a ticket.
>>

> And if you were towing something wouldn't that obstruct the view so is
> all towing illegal?

Only if you obstructed the view of the plate on the towed vehicle.

Old February 20th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Art McClinton" > wrote in message
> I do not know about all states but within VA I know that is the rule. I

do
> not know if it is a primary offense but they can (but very rarely do)

ticket
> for that offense. I was just notified that my license plates are now 12
> years old and that I should have them replaced. They further told me that

if
> the plate was not readable that it was likewise a misdemeanor.

VA sounds worse than California. Other than that how's it living there?
This place has become uninhabitable.

Old February 20th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:23:44 -0600, "Hairy" > wrote:

>"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:44:45 -0800, "Ulysses"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>My wife got pulled over because I put a trailer ball in the trailer ball
>>>hole on the bumper of my '91 because it "obstructs the view of the license
>>>plate." This sounds like bull**** to me. Anyone know if it's illegal to
>>>put a ball where it was intended to go? Or was this cop just trying to
>>>pick
>>>up on my wife? She didn't get a ticket.
>>>

>> And if you were towing something wouldn't that obstruct the view so is
>> all towing illegal?

>Only if you obstructed the view of the plate on the towed vehicle.

how do you figure? That would just create TWO obstructed plates. I
see no exception in the law about obstructed plates that says you are
allowed to obstruct them when towing something. And not everything
that's towed needs to have a plate. If you have a piece of
construction equipment or farm equipment you generally don't need to
have it titled or registered so there is no plate on it but it still
obstructs your vehicle plate.
Old February 21st 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Hairy

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:23:44 -0600, "Hairy" > wrote:
>

>>"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:44:45 -0800, "Ulysses"

>>> And if you were towing something wouldn't that obstruct the view so is
>>> all towing illegal?

>>Only if you obstructed the view of the plate on the towed vehicle.
>>

> how do you figure? That would just create TWO obstructed plates. I
> see no exception in the law about obstructed plates that says you are
> allowed to obstruct them when towing something.

I see nothing in the code that says that towing is illegal if the towed
vehicle obstructs the towing vehicle's license plate.
All I found was this-
Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a
horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent
the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches from
the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position
to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials
and in a condition to be clearly legible.

And not everything
> that's towed needs to have a plate. If you have a piece of
> construction equipment or farm equipment you generally don't need to
> have it titled or registered so there is no plate on it but it still
> obstructs your vehicle plate.

My interpretation would be that as long as each individual vehicle is in
compliance, they will be in compliance when hooked together.
Obviously, if a hitch ball is sticking up in front of the plate, one of the
vehicles won't be in compliance.

Old February 21st 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 23:14:12 -0600, "Hairy" > wrote:

>"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Only if you obstructed the view of the plate on the towed vehicle.
>>>

>> how do you figure? That would just create TWO obstructed plates. I
>> see no exception in the law about obstructed plates that says you are
>> allowed to obstruct them when towing something.

>I see nothing in the code that says that towing is illegal if the towed
>vehicle obstructs the towing vehicle's license plate.
>All I found was this-
>Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a
>horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent
>the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches from
>the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position
>to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials
>and in a condition to be clearly legible.
>
> And not everything
>> that's towed needs to have a plate. If you have a piece of
>> construction equipment or farm equipment you generally don't need to
>> have it titled or registered so there is no plate on it but it still
>> obstructs your vehicle plate.

>My interpretation would be that as long as each individual vehicle is in
>compliance, they will be in compliance when hooked together.
>Obviously, if a hitch ball is sticking up in front of the plate, one of the
>vehicles won't be in compliance.

If the towed vehicle makes it impossible to see the plate then it is
no longer "in a place and position
to be clearly visible". Therefore you cannot tow anything unless you
install a high rise plate holder so it's visible over the top of the
trailer. If you disagree with that then there is no reason why you
can't obstruct it with a hitch ball. In fact, it is LESS visible when
towing then when it's got a hitch only. Even with a hitch it's still
clearly visible AND easily readable simply by slight movement to the
side.
Old February 21st 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 23:14:12 -0600, "Hairy" > wrote:
>

> >"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> .. .

ball

illegal

is

> >> how do you figure? That would just create TWO obstructed plates. I
> >> see no exception in the law about obstructed plates that says you are
> >> allowed to obstruct them when towing something.

> >I see nothing in the code that says that towing is illegal if the towed
> >vehicle obstructs the towing vehicle's license plate.
> >All I found was this-
> >Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a
> >horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to

prevent
> >the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches

from
> >the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and

position
> >to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials
> >and in a condition to be clearly legible.
> >
> > And not everything
> >> that's towed needs to have a plate. If you have a piece of
> >> construction equipment or farm equipment you generally don't need to
> >> have it titled or registered so there is no plate on it but it still
> >> obstructs your vehicle plate.

> >My interpretation would be that as long as each individual vehicle is in
> >compliance, they will be in compliance when hooked together.
> >Obviously, if a hitch ball is sticking up in front of the plate, one of

the
> >vehicles won't be in compliance.
> >

> If the towed vehicle makes it impossible to see the plate then it is
> no longer "in a place and position
> to be clearly visible". Therefore you cannot tow anything unless you
> install a high rise plate holder so it's visible over the top of the
> trailer. If you disagree with that then there is no reason why you
> can't obstruct it with a hitch ball. In fact, it is LESS visible when
> towing then when it's got a hitch only. Even with a hitch it's still
> clearly visible AND easily readable simply by slight movement to the
> side.

I figured the cop was just a butthead. If a cop was to pull up behind me at
the usual stopping distance he would be able to still read my license plate
unless he was driving in a low-rider with lowered seats. The ball slightly
obstructs the letter "G" in the middle but any idiot could figure out that
it's the letter "G" and not a "C" or "O" or whatever.

Basically I just don't want to have to try to remove the ball and re-install
it every time I want to tow a small trailer. Those things can be a bitch to
get off and the lock-washer will probably get mangled. I also don't want to
get a ticket and that's why I asked the question in the first place. It
thought maybe there was a new law that only applied to newer cars but I've
seen some fairly new Explorers with the same trailer ball hole
configuration. In California it's not possible to ask the DMV because they
have a bunch of brain-dead jerks answering the phone. And that's after you
are on hold for 30 minutes. I guess I'll have to pull over a CHP and ask
him.