question about power steering conversion

Old December 7th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default question about power steering conversion

I know a Miata owner who has a power steering pump going out on their
1996 model. I was asked to replace the pump, but was also asked about
simply removing it.

Is this an option without going to a manual rack, and if so, do I simply
plug the hydraulic line fittings to the power steering rack and remove
the pump?

If I remember correctly, this is what was done on the 1991 red turbo Miata.
It definitely had no P/S, and this Miata owner was happy with the
steering effort required on that car.

I glanced around miata.net and did not find anything on it other than
doing the entire conversion one way or the other, but I may have missed it.

Thanks!

Pat
Old December 7th 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >, pws >
wrote:

> Is this an option without going to a manual rack, and if so, do I simply
> plug the hydraulic line fittings to the power steering rack and remove
> the pump?

FM explains all:
http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php

A depowered rack will be a bit stiffer than a real manual rack, because
the ratio is faster (fewer turns lock to lock).

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old December 7th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> FM explains all:
> http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php
>
> A depowered rack will be a bit stiffer than a real manual rack, because
> the ratio is faster (fewer turns lock to lock).

Turns out that was the setup on the red '91 turbo Miata. Now I remember
the seller mentioning the faster turn ratio.

It felt easy to turn to me, and that was with 7 inch wheels and
215/40/16 tires.

What's up with this information not being available at www.miata.net? I
looked for it there and figured that I had just missed it.

I will probably de-power the rack on my next Miata if it has power
steering, though I will get one that has not had the A/C removed next
time. :-)

Thanks sir,

Pat

Power steering question j Technology 4 July 29th 07 01:10 AM
'98 XJ Power Steering question 98XJ Jeep 2 April 22nd 07 08:43 PM
Just a Question about power steering [email protected] Technology 4 February 13th 07 01:14 PM
del Sol Power Steering Question Front Office Honda 7 July 30th 06 02:20 PM
85 voyager power steering question [email protected] Chrysler 0 February 6th 06 08:12 PM