SPEEDOMETER options on an older truck....???

Old February 29th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

Default SPEEDOMETER options on an older truck....???

"John S." > wrote in message news:00de9bb2-e87e-4896-ae0c-

The truck is illegal and dangerous as is. A GPS could work but it
would not be the best idea. For all of the fiddling around with jury-
rigging some outboard device the owner could just get the speedo
repaired. Your brother might want to ask the owner to reimburse your
brother for the cost of any speeding tickets and increased insurance
premiums.

*************

Can it be done...Yes! And with little expense.

But should it be done,...No! Unc should not take on this responsibility.
The company owner has a responsibility to make the truck safe and legal.

Old February 29th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

"John S." wrote:

> The truck is illegal and dangerous as is. A GPS could work but it
> would not be the best idea. For all of the fiddling around with jury-
> rigging some outboard device the owner could just get the speedo
> repaired. Your brother might want to ask the owner to reimburse your
> brother for the cost of any speeding tickets and increased insurance
> premiums.

Didn't know these sort of delivery trucks were still in use. Back in the
60's when they were more common these trucks usually had a top speed of
about 40mph and the engine was screaming at that speed. It's doubtful that
not having a speedo is much of a safety hazard in a "1969 bread type
truck".

-jim
Old February 29th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"jim" > wrote in message

> Didn't know these sort of delivery trucks were still in use. Back in the
> 60's when they were more common these trucks usually had a top speed of
> about 40mph and the engine was screaming at that speed. It's doubtful that
> not having a speedo is much of a safety hazard in a "1969 bread type
> truck".
>
> -jim

I would see it as being more of a potential legal liability than a safety
hazard.

Old February 29th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

From around 1966 to about 1971, I drove a bread truck for Sunbeam
Bakery.Dont say bread, say Sunbeam!
cuhulin

Old March 1st 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Feb 29, 8:05*am, jim > wrote:
> "John S." wrote:
> > The truck is illegal and dangerous as is. *A GPS could work but it
> > would not be the best idea. *For all of the fiddling around with jury-
> > rigging some outboard device the owner could just get the speedo
> > repaired. *Your brother might want to ask the owner to reimburse your
> > brother for the cost of any speeding tickets and increased insurance
> > premiums.

> Didn't know these sort of delivery trucks were still in use. Back in the
> 60's when they were more common these trucks usually had a top speed of
> about 40mph and the engine was screaming at that speed. It's doubtful that
> not having a speedo is much of a safety hazard in a "1969 bread type
> truck".
>
> -jim

Don't know what kind of truck you are talking about, but the trucks
that delivered bread back then on the west coast were capable of
speeds well above 40mph. The danger in not knowing the speed of a
high riding truck should be self-evident. Not to mention the
potential for damages, collecting tickets, etc.
Old March 1st 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

"John S." wrote:

> On Feb 29, 8:05 am, jim > wrote:
> > "John S." wrote:
> > > The truck is illegal and dangerous as is. A GPS could work but it
> > > would not be the best idea. For all of the fiddling around with jury-
> > > rigging some outboard device the owner could just get the speedo
> > > repaired. Your brother might want to ask the owner to reimburse your
> > > brother for the cost of any speeding tickets and increased insurance
> > > premiums.

> > Didn't know these sort of delivery trucks were still in use. Back in the
> > 60's when they were more common these trucks usually had a top speed of
> > about 40mph and the engine was screaming at that speed. It's doubtful that
> > not having a speedo is much of a safety hazard in a "1969 bread type
> > truck".
> >
> > -jim

> Don't know what kind of truck you are talking about,

Truck built for the special purpose of delivering bread. Back in the 60's
and earlier their were trucks especially designed for delivering certain
items such as bread or milk. The milk trucks had a bit of a snout, but the
bread trucks were kinda the shape of a loaf of bread

http://www.lilesnet.com/memories/past/helms.htm

? but the trucks
> that delivered bread back then on the west coast were capable of
> speeds well above 40mph.

Those were probably step vans.

-jim

Old March 2nd 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Mar 1, 6:48*pm, jim > wrote:
> "John S." wrote:

> > > Didn't know these sort of delivery trucks were still in use. Back in the
> > > 60's when they were more common these trucks usually had a top speed of
> > > about 40mph and the engine was screaming at that speed. It's doubtful that
> > > not having a speedo is much of a safety hazard in a "1969 bread type
> > > truck".

> > > -jim

> > Don't know what kind of truck you are talking about,

> Truck built for the special purpose of delivering bread. *Back in the 60's
> and earlier their were trucks especially designed for delivering certain
> items such as bread or milk. The milk trucks had a bit of a snout, but the
> bread trucks were kinda the shape of a loaf of bread
>
> http://www.lilesnet.com/memories/past/helms.htm
>
> ? but the trucks
>
> > that delivered bread back then on the west coast were capable of
> > speeds well above 40mph.

> Those were probably step vans.

Since we have absolutrely no knowlege from "Leesa" of what this truck
really looks like and given the date a step van would be a more likely
and common choice. They all were used to deliver bread, chips, and
other relatively lightweight but bulky goods.

Milk trucks were by design physically smaller and geared lower because
the load was proportionally many times heavier than that carried in a
bread truck.

Old March 2nd 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

"John S." wrote:

> On Mar 1, 6:48 pm, jim > wrote:

> > > Don't know what kind of truck you are talking about,

> > Truck built for the special purpose of delivering bread. Back in the 60's
> > and earlier their were trucks especially designed for delivering certain
> > items such as bread or milk. The milk trucks had a bit of a snout, but the
> > bread trucks were kinda the shape of a loaf of bread
> >
> > http://www.lilesnet.com/memories/past/helms.htm
> >
> > ? but the trucks
> >
> > > that delivered bread back then on the west coast were capable of
> > > speeds well above 40mph.

> > Those were probably step vans.

> Since we have absolutrely no knowlege from "Leesa" of what this truck
> really looks like.

That would be correct. And given a 40 year old vehicle of any kind, one
could be concerned about all sorts of safety and legal issues one knows
absolutely nothing about, also.

> and given the date a step van would be a more likely
>and common choice. They all were used to deliver bread, chips, and
> other relatively lightweight but bulky goods.
>
> Milk trucks were by design physically smaller and geared lower because
> the load was proportionally many times heavier than that carried in a
> bread truck.

The whole arena of food supply changed in the 50's and 60's.
Super-markets, preservatives, fast food outlets, and packaging - they
were all new. That led to changes in the way food was delivered. But in
the 60's, to most people, a bread truck still meant something different
than a step van.

-jim
Old March 3rd 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

> Just a quick Google search took me to this http://www.mrspeedometer.com/servlet/Detail?no=467
> There are usually many options, driving illegally isn't one of them

But the whole point was to do something LESS than $200.

Fortunately there are TONS of far cheaper aftermarket mechanical and
electronic speedometers:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...54&D=%2D128254

Old March 3rd 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

There is NO way I would pay $200.00 for any kind of a speedometer,,, not
as long as the auto junk yards around here sell them dirt cheap, as good
as anything you will ever find anywhere.

I did buy an electronic bicycle (only a new play toy, as far as I am
concerened) speedometer at the Wal Mart store last Friday.I haven't
opened the package yet.That's the way it goes sometimes, I let my new
electronic thingys sit there and ''cook'' for a while until I think
about doing something.
cuhulin