sim racing is dead

Old December 19th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

Default sim racing is dead

> Personally, the first thing I look for are "correct" auto/world physics. Then it's track modelling and finally AI.

What I'm waiting for is a racing sim that includes post race fist fights.
This would truly capture the essence of NASCAR.

There was mention of a post race "doom" mode, but it was an mis-use
of the term. The player just gets to walk around the pits and track post
race. To me doom mode would be having a BFG (big friggin gun) to blast
away while you walked around.

Old December 19th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Gil

Two of my co-workers and I race N2003 every Tuesday and Friday. We're
all employed. Actually, you have to have a job to play, because the
game regularly sells for $100 on E-bay.

Sim racers (like flight simmers) are a small but VERY loyal bunch.

I agree with the previous post - it is the most immersive online gaming
experience I have ever had.

Old December 19th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Will Bradshaw

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>Personally, the first thing I look for are "correct" auto/world physics. Then it's track modelling and finally AI.

> What I'm waiting for is a racing sim that includes post race fist fights.
> This would truly capture the essence of NASCAR.

*laughs* Sounds like something EA Sports would add to NASCAR 08, in
addition to the yearly paint scheme updates.

> There was mention of a post race "doom" mode, but it was an mis-use
> of the term. The player just gets to walk around the pits and track post
> race. To me doom mode would be having a BFG (big friggin gun) to blast
> away while you walked around.

I remember reading something about that, too, but I can't remember which
title. At the time, I thought it was a decent idea...until I realized
that it would be pointless unless used as some sort of a spectator mode
for online races. *shrugs*

-Will
Old December 20th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jwilson54

Gil wrote:
> Two of my co-workers and I race N2003 every Tuesday and Friday. We're
> all employed. Actually, you have to have a job to play, because the
> game regularly sells for $100 on E-bay.
>
> Sim racers (like flight simmers) are a small but VERY loyal bunch.
>
> I agree with the previous post - it is the most immersive online gaming
> experience I have ever had.

You missed the League reference,we have races every nite except friday
and saturday,the 1st saturday of every month is the International
series,I think 99% of our league is employed(there are a couple of
teenagers racing)the servers open at 7pm qualifying at 8:30 and the
races is usually over by 10:30.
Old December 20th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> > > what percentage of NR2003 players have jobs (... or later added sleep?)

> > Two of my co-workers and I race N2003 every Tuesday and Friday. We're
> > all employed.

My point was that some online racing games, like NR2003 have a tendency
to consume more time than other online racing games. Sorry for the bad
humor, as there are people that are unemployed for various reasons
(disablity), and if I were in their condition, I'd spend more time with
online gaming. I've also chatted with a few online players that sleep
less than 6 hours a day, something I could never do. 55 years old and
I sleep about 9 hours a day.

Old December 20th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> I look at the Team Redline web site and they seem to be always
> waiting for the next best thing to come along.

Forgot to post a link. This group includes some of the fastest
racing sim players. But when I look at their forum, there isn't
a lot of activity.

http://www.teamredline.co.uk

As mentioned, for players like me that don't play in leagues
(I don't want to make a commitment unless I'm really willing to
put in the time to do it right), trying to play racing sims
online is difficult because of all the add-ons. In my case
most of my online racing is with the arcade games, as there
are usually no add-ons, and the races go quick.

Similarly, the number of arcade racing game players online also
seems to be diminishing. The first Need For Speed games with
true online racing, with stats, chat area, and list of races,
(NFS4 1999 and NFS5 2000) lasted about 4 years, before it
was shut down and there were serveral hundred players that
were active or semi active. In the case of NFS7 Underground
1, it lasted about 2 years, and the number of online players
shrunk to less than 50. NFS8 stated with 1000 players online
the first night of the demo, but was down to 300 players
in about 3 or 4 weeks. The official game split up US and
European servers, and again less than 50 players within about
2 years. The latest version, Carbon, lasted about 4 weeks,
hundreds of players online in my time zone for the first 2
or 3 weeks, to less than 100 just 5 weeks after the game
was released. Since the latest releases of NFS are world
wide releases, it may just be a USA issue, as there are
over 5000 players with online stats, just for NFS Carbon.

Old December 20th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Jeff Reid enlightened us with:
>>> lot of time spent online ...

>> Ok I could say, I see what you meant. that is semi true for any
>> online stuff, is it not?

> Quake 3 arena online also went pretty quick, I think most matches
> only lasted about 5 minutes.

>> I dont think it is nearly as bad as LSI??? based online sim'n,

> What is LSI?

LSI (I could have the wrong set of letters/developer name) is the physics
engine that the games are coded from, that is "shared" from gtr gtl, then
version 2 of this engine {as I hear it loosely refered to} is rFactor, GTR2
(as far as I know, from reading).

ok, I was joking around but you pretty much disquallified yerself from
having any rational posts about if NR guys have a jobs or life, as you have
conceeded that by your terms, nobody online gaming has a life except Quake
gamers (LOL).

>> What kills me is, like rFactor and GTLegends, last 2 weeks, I go
>> online fri night or sat night

Ok I know NR doesnt need a defender... So I wont jump on and stop you with
the parrotheaded thoughts of "ARCADE" goddam if that dont = DEGATONA aids
enabled racing as you can get...

> One exception is NR2003 open servers at Daytona / Talledega, no
> driving talent is required if you turn on the assists. The main focus
> is to qualify far enough up front to avoid the crash fest, pitting
> quickly, and exiting into a draft. I haven't raced NR2003 online in a year
> or two, but
> the lack of talent required is probably why the open online servers
> were

what kind of talent then do you say there is to winning anything in these
arcade racing sims where IMHO the utter lack of talent nor experience is
rewared. I mean how many times in any "experience" in your life gonna say,
"ok I can beat this guy if I hit the nitrous button 46 times-> jump over
this mailbox, grab the revolving door in front of this airport and let it
swing the car over to get the Jet turbine pack... Creative? yeah ok maybe,
but talented? well, HELL no. Especially when you download step by step
cheats or books that have these cheats placed there by the authors that
NOBODY knows about until they tell you...

Anyway Im just funning around, I like watching your videos, they give me
hope.

Keep the emulated/simulated_shiney_side_up,
later...

Old December 20th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dave F

"timmy thompson" > wrote in message
> that is a sad fact

www.rfactorcentral.com receives 6,000 (or is it 16,000?) individual visitors
every day.

--
David G Fisher

Old December 20th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

I see the error, it is ISI, not LSI... Some I know works at LSI Logic,
lol...
Plowboy enlightened us with:

Old December 20th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Ha hehehee, you mean post race fines, because you do know Nascar just calls
you to the trailer instead of the boyz working it out themselves...
Jeff Reid enlightened us with:
>> Personally, the first thing I look for are "correct" auto/world
>> physics. Then it's track modelling and finally AI.

> What I'm waiting for is a racing sim that includes post race fist
> fights. This would truly capture the essence of NASCAR.
>
> There was mention of a post race "doom" mode, but it was an mis-use
> of the term. The player just gets to walk around the pits and track
> post race. To me doom mode would be having a BFG (big friggin gun) to
> blast away while you walked around.

The Deadly World of Street Racing [email protected] Driving 6 July 18th 06 06:58 AM
BOOK - ROAD RACING [email protected] Technology 1 April 25th 06 03:56 PM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 04:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM
Tough to Enter the Racing Sim Scene Chuck Simulators 14 November 10th 04 05:27 AM