Auto Parts Places and Stupidity

Old June 5th 05, 10:22 PM

Default Auto Parts Places and Stupidity

Has any one else noticed this?

All the independents are gone and all the auto parts stores are chain
owned. And they tend to hire stupid people exclusively.

They must have some secret test for intelligence in hiring and employ
it diligently, lest some non-stupids accidentally be hired.

I am not talking about any one incident. I am referring to twenty-plus
years of dealing with chain parts stores. The level of plain stupid is
astounding. They have no skills, no mechanical sense, and no
willingness to go beyond the blindingly obvious-indeed, even that fails
them ofttimes.

It seemed like before, when you had the little guys, they would at
least endeavor to help you out if you weren't a total jerk. If what you
wanted wasn't in stock, they'd figure out how to get one or send you to
a nearby alternate source. Now, if they don't have it, or if they have
it and don't know it, you get that stupid stare and half-shrug.

Old June 5th 05, 10:35 PM
Coasty

It is supply and demand working at an auto parts store does not require a
technical degree or training. If it did the chains would have to pay
$20-$50 dollars an hour and that is going to happen right?

You should not blame the person behind the counter, if you only made minimum
wage what type of service would you be providing. You should ask yourself
what type of training are they provided has the company invested in it's
employees, does the company care, and what improvements could the company
make.

Rather than rant to a news group get off your duff and be passionate about
it write the company they are at fault not the poor slob behind the counter
who is just trying to get by. You are rather condescending in your attitude
and you probably expect to get blood out of a rock.

--
Coasty
Semper Paratus

oups.com...

Old June 5th 05, 10:41 PM
Coasty

It is supply and demand working at an auto parts store does not require a
technical degree or training. If it did the chains would have to pay
$20-$50 dollars an hour and that is going to happen right?

You should not blame the person behind the counter, if you only made minimum
wage what type of service would you be providing. You should ask yourself
what type of training are they provided has the company invested in it's
employees, does the company care, and what improvements could the company
make.

Rather than rant to a news group get off your duff and be passionate about
it write the company they are at fault not the poor slob behind the counter
who is just trying to get by. You are rather condescending in your attitude
and you probably expect to get blood out of a rock.

--
Coasty
Semper Paratus
(Always Ready)

oups.com...

Old June 5th 05, 10:43 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It will be that store's management problem, vote with your feet. I
have one Auto Zone that's a waste. And one mom and pop farm store that's
been in my town for eons, I just wish it could compete. And "one" Kragen
I've been dealing with for over twenty years, that's had consistent
knowledgeable people, they really surprise me, even the girls know my
fifties hot rod lingo.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 6th 05, 04:48 AM

Yes, well there are no more independents around me. The hot rod places
ironically cater only to serious drag racers and the FWD Honda crowd.

Old June 6th 05, 03:08 PM
Snow

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Yes, well there are no more independents around me. The hot rod places
> ironically cater only to serious drag racers and the FWD Honda crowd.

Hot Rod shops cater to Hot Rods.. speed shops cater to P.O.S import junk.

If you want an independent parts store around so bad, then put up them money
and open one yourself, maybe then you'll realize why there aren't that many
around.

Snow...

Old June 6th 05, 05:47 PM
Paul Calman

They put in a kragen in my county, it is the only source of Fel-Pro gaskets
around but has no other redeeming qualities.
The rest of the parts stores around here, the people behind the counter are
owners, or their family. They may not know what i do, but they do aim to
please.
I prefer to buy from local people, rather than corporations.

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Old June 6th 05, 09:05 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, how can anyone confuse ricers with hot rods?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 6th 05, 09:39 PM
Cherokee-Ltd

Those that can't achieve the minimum level of stupidity at parts stores are
referred to Home Depot.Those surpassing the minimum level of stupidity are
then fast tracked into management positions.

A few years ago NAPA spent millions of dollars in training. There were sent
to training facilities across the continent and you'll probably find that
they can say "it's not in the computer" with the same level of confidence as
in the old days when they'd say "There's nothing in the book".

With that said, I don't expect these people to know everything about every
part on every vehicle. I just wish they could acknowledge that for whatever
reason the part isn't available through them instead of saying that the part
you have in your hand doesn't exist at all.

Have you ever had this conversation?

Me: Hi, I need a 2" ball and receiver for a Class 3 hitch.
NAPA: What year is the vehicle?
Me: '92 Suburban, like that matters.
NAPA: Air conditioning?
Me: Let me go check.
....I still wonder if the guy was thinking "what an idiot, he doesn't even
know if he has air conditioning" while I drove off to another store.

-Brian

oups.com...

Old June 6th 05, 09:55 PM
Jeff Strickland

I have a Napa store near me that sucks on prices, but there are several guys
behind the counter that can find parts for my Jeep when I need them.

Basically, I can get anything I need at the Napa store, and I can get
anything else at Kragen or AutoZone.

ups.com...