SW2 - Trouble inserting key in ignition

Old October 7th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Peter A. Schott

Default SW2 - Trouble inserting key in ignition

Not sure what's causing this, but I'm having more trouble inserting my key
into the ignition on my '99 SW2. Sometimes it goes right in, sometimes the
piece of metal over the hole just won't budge until I fiddle with things for a
while. Is this a cause for concern? Do I need a new part or have to take
something apart to do some repairs?

Thanks.

-Pete Schott
Old October 7th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, Peter A. Schott > wrote:
>Not sure what's causing this, but I'm having more trouble inserting my key
>into the ignition on my '99 SW2. Sometimes it goes right in, sometimes the
>piece of metal over the hole just won't budge until I fiddle with things for a
>while. Is this a cause for concern? Do I need a new part or have to take
>something apart to do some repairs?

Try some powdered graphite in the lock. You can find this in the tool or
hardware department at Sears, or at any hardware store.

--
Regards,

Old October 7th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

Google groups is your friend.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...&qt_s=S earch

And since I have posted on this issue in the past and don't feel like
re-typing it every time the question comes up:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...f7ed16 21364c

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...2fadb1 9bd8d4

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old October 10th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Peter A. Schott

Thanks, but that's not quite my problem. I'm having trouble getting the key
in sometimes. No problems getting it out. Just the little cover that is over
the hole doesn't want to move at times. I mess around with it for a minute or
two and all is well, but I'm wondering what's going on and if there's anything
that might be causing it that wouldn't require replacing the entire ignition
cylinder.

Just wasn't sure if that was common or even quite what to search on for a
problem of the key not going in.

Thanks.

-Pete

Old October 10th 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, Peter A. Schott > wrote:
>Thanks, but that's not quite my problem. I'm having trouble getting the key
>in sometimes. No problems getting it out. Just the little cover that is over
>the hole doesn't want to move at times. I mess around with it for a minute or
>two and all is well, but I'm wondering what's going on and if there's anything
>that might be causing it that wouldn't require replacing the entire ignition
>cylinder.

Powdered graphite works wonders on uncooperative locks.

--
Regards,

Old October 10th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
et...
> In article >, SnoMan
> > wrote:
>>On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:34:03 GMT, (Doug Miller)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Powdered graphite works wonders on uncooperative locks.

>>So does replacing the lock cylinder. They are not they hard to change
>>on a Saturn as I just replaced the one in a 97. You do have to remove
>>cover around steering wheel and lock and then then to insert key trun
>>it too accessory, and eithe press a button on cylinder housing or
>>stick a pin in a hole on it (depending on housing style as yours could
>>be either but likley the button style) and then remove cylinder by
>>pulling on key. Saturn can code you a new cylinder to match old key
>>for your car and if you do it yourself it is about 35 bucks. The new
>>cylinder just snaps right in and you are in bussiness and you replace
>>covers on your are done. Maybe a 10 or 15 mintue job with right tools.

> A tube of powdered graphite is about three bucks, and it takes maybe
> fifteen
> seconds to puff a little bit into the lock cylinder.
>
> Which method do *you* think makes more sense to try first?
>

> --
> Regards,
> Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
>
> It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.

Easier, cheaper, quicker is always a good place to start.

Ken

AWA [OFFER] ignition cable set, spark plug cable [email protected] General 0 March 14th 06 11:52 AM
Ignition problems chrisg Technology 0 January 1st 06 11:39 PM
I am having trouble replacing the Ignition switch in my 71SB carl overton via CarKB.com VW air cooled 5 April 10th 05 02:51 AM
How to basicially read OBDll Standardized Diagnostic Trouble codes Steve Honda 0 March 20th 05 06:00 AM
Ion intermittent ignition switch problem ELY Saturn 3 August 14th 04 03:18 AM