1600 DP into 6 volt 40HP trans

Old May 16th 05, 04:33 PM
Craig Baker

Default 1600 DP into 6 volt 40HP trans

Have a rail buggy with a 40 HP motor in it that blew. The buggy is
based on a 40 HP, with 40HP suspension and trans. I also have a 12
volt 1600 Dual Port motor that runs.

Can I just put the 6 volt flywheel onto the 1600 motor and fit it to
the buggy?

Craig
Old May 16th 05, 08:50 PM
Speedy Jim

Craig Baker wrote:

> Have a rail buggy with a 40 HP motor in it that blew. The buggy is
> based on a 40 HP, with 40HP suspension and trans. I also have a 12
> volt 1600 Dual Port motor that runs.
>
> Can I just put the 6 volt flywheel onto the 1600 motor and fit it to
> the buggy?
>
> Craig

Yes, that works and is commonly done. Use a 4-hole sealing gasket
on the end of the crank and reset the crank endplay.

If you keep the buggy 6V, you will need a 6V gennie, 6V coil,
6V choke and 6V idle solenoid.

If you change over to 12V, you can run the starter on 12V OK.

Be sure to equip the 1600 with the "correct" pressure plate for
the 40HP throwout.

See the 6V/12V conversion article on my web site for more.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

1300 to 1600 Joao Eliseu VW air cooled 4 February 26th 05 04:27 PM
GM trans rebuild, low pressure and slipping in R and 1ST related? andy everett Technology 0 December 14th 04 12:59 AM
1600 engine survey azazel scratch VW air cooled 13 October 31st 04 01:33 AM
95 sl2 automatic - post diyer trans r&r Dave V Saturn 4 September 2nd 04 04:37 AM
Toyota A-340E trans problems - possible causes outside the trans? Doc General 6 May 27th 04 03:54 PM