Mounting your own tires?

Old May 24th 04, 04:49 PM
Rex B

On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:29:09 -0700, > wrote:

||"Don Bruder" > wrote in message

||tires
||own
||bead with
||really.

||> Pull the valve core out, and set the tire/wheel assembly on a hard
||> surface under the car or other *VERY* heavy item. Car is usually
||> handiest and heaviest. Set the jack base on tire (not on wheel!) near
||> bead, under something solid on car. Operate jack until bead breaks. If
||> needed, rotate tire/wheel, reposition jack, and repeat until bead is
||> broken around entire rim. Even a "tough" tire usually only takes 2-3
||> times of pumping up the jack to get one side ccompletely broken loose.
||> Often, once gets things started well enough to easily finish by hand or
||> with a tire iron or large screwdriver.
||What he said, except nix the big screwdriver. The sharp corners of the
||screwdriver can cause leaks later on due to scratches on the rim or tears in
||the tire rubber.
||Real tire irons are a must have and not that expensive. They are just about
||extinct at normal auto parts stores, but are easily found at farm and
||motorcycle parts outlets. The longer the better.

Find a local parts store that has access to Ken-Tool. Most big warehouses have
them, but not all retail-oriented stores do. Ken-Tool makes a wide assortment
of professional tire irons, as well as pro bubble balancers and other usefull
stuff.

http://www.kentool.com/product.htm
Texas Parts Guy
Old May 29th 04, 01:31 AM
Refinish King

When I use my bubble balancer:

I mark the tire and put the back two of the four weights on, then put the
tire back on the balancer. Then I can fine tune the bubble with the front
weights, as per the instructions that came with the balancer 25 years ago.

LOL
Refinish King

(Doc) wrote:

> > > Yes, it's a bubble balancer. No time like the present to learn. I just
> > > got done putting in another engine/transmission, and heft plenty 'o
> > > iron at the gym, I imagine I can handle mounting tires, if in fact the
> > > machine works halfway decent. And hey, I have a large supply of
> > > expletives to draw upon. The thing would pay for itself on the first
> > > set of tires.

> > -- Years ago (like in the fifties) bubble balancers were the only thing
> > available. And lots of places still use them, especially places that

deal
> > only in used tires. A sharp guy who does this for a living can do a fair

> job
> > with one of these. But it's easy to have too much weight on one side or

> the
> > other of the wheel. A spin balancer takes the guesswork out, and you get

> the
> > right amount of weight on each side every time. If you just jig around

> town,
> > a bubble balancer is fine. If you drive the freeways, pay for the spin
> > balance.

> On page 75 of the March 2002 Street Rod Builder Magazine, it states,
> "Goodyear uses a good old-fashioned bubble-balancer to balance large
> diameter, fat-tread street rod tires....a good bubble balance is perfectly
> accurate....Finally, spin balancers are not designed for use on
> large-diameter tires."
>
> I use a Micro M-60 bubble balancer for ten-inch, oval-track race car tires
> and my personal street vehicles - all of which run 55 and 60-series BFG
> Radial T/A. Not a shake in the bunch at speeds from 70 mph on up.
>
> The key is to do it correctly - with four weights evenly split

front/rear -

Old June 8th 04, 05:29 AM
382584477666

..