1999 SL2 - start problems

Old October 19th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected][_1_]

Default 1999 SL2 - start problems

I would like to ask for assistance with my car, a 1999 SL2, that will
crank, but not catch.

The car has been regularly serviced and there were no known issues as
of last Thursday. The car has not been started since that time. This
morning, it cranks but never gets running. The weather has not been
significantly cold or hot (between 38 - 60 degrees F).

The lights, signals, etc., seem to be all right (it does not seem to
lose "power" when attempting to start, etc.).

I thought it might be the starter, but isn't that normally associated
with a "click" rather than sounding like it's about to start?

In the list of things to look at/potentially replace, would a starter
be something that a novice could replace or would I probably need to
get it towed?

TIA

Old October 19th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article .com>, wrote:
>I would like to ask for assistance with my car, a 1999 SL2, that will
>crank, but not catch.
>
>The car has been regularly serviced and there were no known issues as
>of last Thursday. The car has not been started since that time. This
>morning, it cranks but never gets running. The weather has not been
>significantly cold or hot (between 38 - 60 degrees F).

Engines need fuel, air, and spark in order to start. One of these is missing.
Pretty hard to tell from here which one -- but fuel is the most likely, and
air the least. Are you sure it has gas in the tank?

A failed fuel pump may be the culprit. If you turn the ignition switch on (but
not to the start position), you should hear the fuel pump begin to run. If you
don't, that may be the problem. Or the electrical connection to the fuel pump
may be bad. You can trace the circuit with a voltmeter and find out if the
fuel pump is getting electricity. If it is, but it's not running, then it's
probably bad.

The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank, and replacing the pump requires
draining and removing the tank -- not a job for a self-confessed novice.

>The lights, signals, etc., seem to be all right (it does not seem to
>lose "power" when attempting to start, etc.).
>
>I thought it might be the starter, but isn't that normally associated
>with a "click" rather than sounding like it's about to start?

There's no reason at all to suspect the starter: if the engine cranks, the
starter works. And the battery is good, too.

>In the list of things to look at/potentially replace, would a starter
>be something that a novice could replace or would I probably need to
>get it towed?

Better to diagnose the problem first, rather than begin replacing random parts
in the hope that one of them will cure it. If you're set on that idea, though,
don't bother with the starter. It's fine.

--
Regards,

Old October 21st 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Doug Miller wrote:
> In article .com>, wrote:
> >I would like to ask for assistance with my car, a 1999 SL2, that will
> >crank, but not catch.
> >
> >The car has been regularly serviced and there were no known issues as
> >of last Thursday. The car has not been started since that time. This
> >morning, it cranks but never gets running. The weather has not been
> >significantly cold or hot (between 38 - 60 degrees F).

> Engines need fuel, air, and spark in order to start. One of these is missing.
> Pretty hard to tell from here which one -- but fuel is the most likely, and
> air the least. Are you sure it has gas in the tank?
>
> A failed fuel pump may be the culprit. If you turn the ignition switch on (but
> not to the start position), you should hear the fuel pump begin to run. If you
> don't, that may be the problem. Or the electrical connection to the fuel pump
> may be bad. You can trace the circuit with a voltmeter and find out if the
> fuel pump is getting electricity. If it is, but it's not running, then it's
> probably bad.
>
> The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank, and replacing the pump requires
> draining and removing the tank -- not a job for a self-confessed novice.
> >
> >The lights, signals, etc., seem to be all right (it does not seem to
> >lose "power" when attempting to start, etc.).
> >
> >I thought it might be the starter, but isn't that normally associated
> >with a "click" rather than sounding like it's about to start?

> There's no reason at all to suspect the starter: if the engine cranks, the
> starter works. And the battery is good, too.
> >
> >In the list of things to look at/potentially replace, would a starter
> >be something that a novice could replace or would I probably need to
> >get it towed?

> Better to diagnose the problem first, rather than begin replacing random parts
> in the hope that one of them will cure it. If you're set on that idea, though,
> don't bother with the starter. It's fine.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
>
> It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.

You could check fuel by depressing the shradder valve to see if it
sprya out any fuel at all then turn the ignition off - on again to
prinme the circuit. check one more time then you sort of know the pump
is priming. as for spark you could remove the plugs and connect to the
plug wire one by one and ground out the plug then crank the engine to
see if there is good spark. If all this checked out. I would suspect
the faulty crankshaft position sensor.
Then crank shaft position sensor is located between the starter and the
engine.