Radiator Fan Still Running After Engine is Off.

Old October 13th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
louis[_1_]

Default Radiator Fan Still Running After Engine is Off.

Please remove all q from my email before you reply directly to me.
1997 Saturn SL1.
Never happened to me before. I drove for 1 hour in traffic,
notice that my heat gauge went slightly over middle arrow (happenned many
times before) so I put ac and it brought it down. No problems till I came
home and
parked the car. Turned off the engine but the fan was still going for at
least
additional 3-5 minutes before it shut down. Never happenned before.
Is that normal or is that an indication of a serious problem?

Old October 13th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:39:27 GMT, "louis" >
wrote:

>Please remove all q from my email before you reply directly to me.
>1997 Saturn SL1.
>Never happened to me before. I drove for 1 hour in traffic,
>notice that my heat gauge went slightly over middle arrow (happenned many
>times before) so I put ac and it brought it down. No problems till I came
>home and
>parked the car. Turned off the engine but the fan was still going for at
>least
>additional 3-5 minutes before it shut down. Never happenned before.
>Is that normal or is that an indication of a serious problem?

No cause for concern other than it means it may be running hotter than
normal lately.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old October 13th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Tom The Great

wrote:

>Please remove all q from my email before you reply directly to me.
>1997 Saturn SL1.
>Never happened to me before. I drove for 1 hour in traffic,
>notice that my heat gauge went slightly over middle arrow (happenned many
>times before) so I put ac and it brought it down. No problems till I came
>home and
>parked the car. Turned off the engine but the fan was still going for at
>least
>additional 3-5 minutes before it shut down. Never happenned before.
>Is that normal or is that an indication of a serious problem?

imho:

Might have a heat transffer issue, I had a saturn that would get
easily 'slimed' and needed frequent coolant changes.

How's your coolant condition?

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old October 13th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

There is no need to force the fan on with the a/c if your gauge only hit a
bit over half. Our cars have a very wide "normal" operating range, and this
reading is right in the middle of it. Unless the needle stays in the red
area (top 1/8th of the gauge if I recall correctly), then there is no need
for concern.

If this is above what it normally is, it might be time for a flush & fill.
Also, check to see that the vertical plastic air dam is still under the car,
below the radiator. It is held on by only 2 springs, and if it is not
there, I've found that it greatly affects cooling.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old October 13th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:20:04 -0500, "Lane"
> wrote:

>There is no need to force the fan on with the a/c if your gauge only hit a
>bit over half. Our cars have a very wide "normal" operating range, and this
>reading is right in the middle of it. Unless the needle stays in the red
>area (top 1/8th of the gauge if I recall correctly), then there is no need
>for concern.

On a Saturn the fan rub where ever A/C is selected regardless of
engine temp to boost condensor efficency as well as engine cooling.
BTW that wide range that you like might be considered "normal for a
Saturn given GM's fan policy but it is not in the best interest of
engine for maxium engine life as this it best achived with a fairly
constant engine temp, not one that swings from 180 to 230 or more a
lot and when it is doing this it is doing the same to tranny because
radiotr cools automatic tranny too and heat is the number one enemy of
you automatic tranny.
TheSnoMan.com
Old October 14th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)

Funny we had that happen after I totalled out our Vue (Just exterior damage
due to barb wire fence meeting), had A/C on hot day, and turned car off. the
fan continued to run and then finally shut off.

No idea why, never saw it do it before, but the manual said it was "normal"