SL1 Clutch Goes Bad How?

Old September 27th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe[_11_]

Default SL1 Clutch Goes Bad How?

When it finally goes (I have 160,000 mi. on original...) does it go with
gradual slippage like most cars or just simply disappear like some of the
newer self-adjusting ones?

Anyone get more than 160,000 on an original clutch?

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
http://tinyurl.com/5apkg
http://www.youthelate.com

Help Cure Cancer: http://yunx.com/UDvroc.htm

Old September 27th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Son_Worshipper

I had 180,000 miles on my '93 SL2 when the clutch went out. (I am
imagining the SL1 woudl be similar). My mechanic found this amazing
especially in the light my 2 daughters learned to drive on this car.
When it went, it went quickly - from the time we first felt slippage to
the time it became unbearable was under 500 miles.

Terry

Old September 27th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe[_11_]

"Son_Worshipper" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I had 180,000 miles on my '93 SL2 when the clutch went out. (I am
> imagining the SL1 woudl be similar). My mechanic found this amazing
> especially in the light my 2 daughters learned to drive on this car.
> When it went, it went quickly - from the time we first felt slippage to
> the time it became unbearable was under 500 miles.

Ick. Thank you for the response... I hope mine lasts longer / goes from
noticeable to bad slower than that.

I guess I'll start getting estimates now.

Old October 9th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Joe wrote:
> "Son_Worshipper" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I had 180,000 miles on my '93 SL2 when the clutch went out. (I am
> > imagining the SL1 woudl be similar). My mechanic found this amazing
> > especially in the light my 2 daughters learned to drive on this car.
> > When it went, it went quickly - from the time we first felt slippage to
> > the time it became unbearable was under 500 miles.

> Ick. Thank you for the response... I hope mine lasts longer / goes from
> noticeable to bad slower than that.
>
> I guess I'll start getting estimates now.
>
> Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R
>
> Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"
>
> Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
> http://tinyurl.com/5apkg
> http://www.youthelate.com
>
> Help Cure Cancer: http://yunx.com/UDvroc.htm

Thanks for asking this question, I've been wondering the same thing. I
actually attempted to get my clutch replaced a couple of times in the
last few years because I figured it MUST need it - and I'd rather
schedule the replacement rather than have it thrust upon me at some
inconvenient time. But my mechanic insists that it's just fine. 160K
on my '95 SL2, and I drove it in San Francisco for a few years -
amazing.

- C

Old October 13th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
kd1yv8

wrote:

> Joe wrote:
>> "Son_Worshipper" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> >I had 180,000 miles on my '93 SL2 when the clutch went out. (I am

{snip}

http://yunx.com/UDvroc.htm

> Thanks for asking this question, I've been wondering the same thing. I

{snip}

> - C

My 97 SL2 has 177,777 miles on the original clutch. Of course, the first
100k or so was all highway driving - didn't get my first brakes until 93k.

Jim