2007 Ford Escape whine/vibration

Old October 14th 14, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default 2007 Ford Escape whine/vibration

My wife's 2007 4 cylinder automatic escape has had a slight whine/vibration almost the whole time we have had it. It only seems to do it a idle and is worst at a "sweet spot" when giving it gas. This sweet spot is just barely pressing the gas. Along with a whine I can feel it in the steering wheel. I recently flushed the fluid and replaced the power steering pump but the noise is still there. I have crawled under it with the engine running and tried to listen with the end of a screwdriver but cant pinpoint anything. I have often wondered if it was the alternator but the alternator spins freely.. I have also replaces the belt and tensioner and I believe the idler pulley.

I have noticed for some reason with the interior lights on, they will dim every minute or so then go back to normal. I am not sure if this is related or not. I will say the battery seems to be charging okay.

I have also cleaned the throttle body blades in the opening for an unrelated problem (Throttle would stick on cold mornings). But this did not change anything related to the whine.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? Since I am feeling this in the steering wheel I wonder if it could be the rack and pinion? This is the only thing attached to the steering wheel.

It really reminds me of a pump whine for some reason but like I said I replaced the power steering pump.

I appreciate the help!
Old October 14th 14, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:
> My wife's 2007 4 cylinder automatic escape has had a slight
> whine/vibration almost the whole time we have had it. It only seems
> to do it a idle and is worst at a "sweet spot" when giving it gas.
> This sweet spot is just barely pressing the gas. Along with a whine I
> can feel it in the steering wheel. I recently flushed the fluid and
> replaced the power steering pump but the noise is still there. I have
> crawled under it with the engine running and tried to listen with the
> end of a screwdriver but cant pinpoint anything. I have often
> wondered if it was the alternator but the alternator spins freely. I
> have also replaces the belt and tensioner and I believe the idler
> pulley.
>
> I have noticed for some reason with the interior lights on, they will
> dim every minute or so then go back to normal. I am not sure if this
> is related or not. I will say the battery seems to be charging okay.
>
> I have also cleaned the throttle body blades in the opening for an
> unrelated problem (Throttle would stick on cold mornings). But this
> did not change anything related to the whine.
>
> Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? Since I am feeling this in
> the steering wheel I wonder if it could be the rack and pinion? This
> is the only thing attached to the steering wheel.
>
> It really reminds me of a pump whine for some reason but like I said
> I replaced the power steering pump.
>
> I appreciate the help!

Well if you pull the belt off and run the engine is the noise still there??

--
Steve W.
Old October 14th 14, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:44:44 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > My wife's 2007 4 cylinder automatic escape has had a slight

> > whine/vibration almost the whole time we have had it. It only seems

> > to do it a idle and is worst at a "sweet spot" when giving it gas.

> > This sweet spot is just barely pressing the gas. Along with a whine I

> > can feel it in the steering wheel. I recently flushed the fluid and

> > replaced the power steering pump but the noise is still there. I have

> > crawled under it with the engine running and tried to listen with the

> > end of a screwdriver but cant pinpoint anything. I have often

> > wondered if it was the alternator but the alternator spins freely. I

> > have also replaces the belt and tensioner and I believe the idler

> > pulley.

> > I have noticed for some reason with the interior lights on, they will

> > dim every minute or so then go back to normal. I am not sure if this

> > is related or not. I will say the battery seems to be charging okay.

> > I have also cleaned the throttle body blades in the opening for an

> > unrelated problem (Throttle would stick on cold mornings). But this

> > did not change anything related to the whine.

> > Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? Since I am feeling this in

> > the steering wheel I wonder if it could be the rack and pinion? This

> > is the only thing attached to the steering wheel.

> > It really reminds me of a pump whine for some reason but like I said

> > I replaced the power steering pump.

> > I appreciate the help!

> Well if you pull the belt off and run the engine is the noise still there??
>

> --
>
> Steve W.

No. The noise is not there with the belt off.
Old October 15th 14, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:

>>> My wife's 2007 4 cylinder automatic escape has had a slight
>>> whine/vibration almost the whole time we have had it. It only seems
>>> to do it a idle and is worst at a "sweet spot" when giving it gas.
>>> This sweet spot is just barely pressing the gas. Along with a whine I
>>> can feel it in the steering wheel. I recently flushed the fluid and
>>> replaced the power steering pump but the noise is still there. I have
>>> crawled under it with the engine running and tried to listen with the
>>> end of a screwdriver but cant pinpoint anything. I have often
>>> wondered if it was the alternator but the alternator spins freely. I
>>> have also replaces the belt and tensioner and I believe the idler
>>> pulley.
>>> I have noticed for some reason with the interior lights on, they will
>>> dim every minute or so then go back to normal. I am not sure if this
>>> is related or not. I will say the battery seems to be charging okay.
>>> I have also cleaned the throttle body blades in the opening for an
>>> unrelated problem (Throttle would stick on cold mornings). But this
>>> did not change anything related to the whine.
>>> Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? Since I am feeling this in
>>> the steering wheel I wonder if it could be the rack and pinion? This
>>> is the only thing attached to the steering wheel.
>>> It really reminds me of a pump whine for some reason but like I said
>>> I replaced the power steering pump.
>>> I appreciate the help!

>> Well if you pull the belt off and run the engine is the noise still there??

>> --
>>
>> Steve W.

> No. The noise is not there with the belt off.

Does it have A/C and does the sound change if the A/C pump is engaged?

Just because the alternator charges doesn't mean it couldn't have a bad
bearing. Lot's of bad bearings in alternators.

--
Steve W.
Old October 15th 14, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>>
>> Well if you pull the belt off and run the engine is the noise still there??

>No. The noise is not there with the belt off.

So you know it is SOME accessory device driven by the belt, and you have
ruled out the water pump. What do you have left? Alternator, power steering
pump, AC compressor?

Get a length of fuel hose, have someone bring the engine up to speed
and hold one end of the hose to your ear while waving the other around
until you can locate the source of the sound. But you only have maybe
three choices at this point.
--scott
Old October 15th 14, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:09:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> My wife's 2007 4 cylinder automatic escape has had a slight whine/vibration almost the whole time we have had it. It only seems to do it a idle and is worst at a "sweet spot" when giving it gas. This sweet spot is just barely pressing the gas. Along with a whine I can feel it in the steering wheel.. I recently flushed the fluid and replaced the power steering pump but the noise is still there. I have crawled under it with the engine running and tried to listen with the end of a screwdriver but cant pinpoint anything. I have often wondered if it was the alternator but the alternator spins freely. I have also replaces the belt and tensioner and I believe the idler pulley.
>

> I have noticed for some reason with the interior lights on, they will dim every minute or so then go back to normal. I am not sure if this is related or not. I will say the battery seems to be charging okay.
>

> I have also cleaned the throttle body blades in the opening for an unrelated problem (Throttle would stick on cold mornings). But this did not change anything related to the whine.
>

> Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? Since I am feeling this in the steering wheel I wonder if it could be the rack and pinion? This is the only thing attached to the steering wheel.
>

> It really reminds me of a pump whine for some reason but like I said I replaced the power steering pump.
>

> I appreciate the help!

OE or aftermarket belt??
Old October 15th 14, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:04:30 PM UTC-5, m6onz5a wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:09:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>
> > My wife's 2007 4 cylinder automatic escape has had a slight whine/vibration almost the whole time we have had it. It only seems to do it a idle and is worst at a "sweet spot" when giving it gas. This sweet spot is just barely pressing the gas. Along with a whine I can feel it in the steering wheel. I recently flushed the fluid and replaced the power steering pump but the noise is still there. I have crawled under it with the engine running and tried to listen with the end of a screwdriver but cant pinpoint anything. I have often wondered if it was the alternator but the alternator spins freely. I have also replaces the belt and tensioner and I believe the idler pulley.

> > I have noticed for some reason with the interior lights on, they will dim every minute or so then go back to normal. I am not sure if this is related or not. I will say the battery seems to be charging okay.

> > I have also cleaned the throttle body blades in the opening for an unrelated problem (Throttle would stick on cold mornings). But this did not change anything related to the whine.

> > Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? Since I am feeling this in the steering wheel I wonder if it could be the rack and pinion? This is the only thing attached to the steering wheel.

> > It really reminds me of a pump whine for some reason but like I said I replaced the power steering pump.

> > I appreciate the help!

> OE or aftermarket belt??

It is a gates

Diagnosing noise on 2007 escape [email protected] Technology 6 March 5th 13 03:14 PM
Remote Start - 2007 Ford Escape canalrun Technology 6 December 18th 07 01:03 AM
Ford Escape LarryG via CarKB.com Ford Explorer 0 April 16th 07 11:05 AM
Ford Escape ? Mike Hall 4x4 10 February 24th 04 06:11 AM
Ford Escape ? Iowa883 4x4 0 February 21st 04 02:55 PM