No fuel at fuel rail

Old November 7th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
William Dawes

Default No fuel at fuel rail

I've got a '96 Ford Explorer V8 2WD. I parked it for lunch and now it
will crank but will not start. There is no fuel pressure on the fuel
rail / schrader valve. I've checked all of the fuses. I've replaced
the fuel relay. Still no joy. Now suspect fuel pump. Any other
suggestions? If it is the fuel pump, what is a reasonable repair cost
estimate and what would be required to replace the fuel pump?

Old November 7th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Tsiemers

"William Dawes" > wrote in news:rinJm.7675$de6.4143
@newsfe21.iad:

> I've got a '96 Ford Explorer V8 2WD. I parked it for lunch and now it
> will crank but will not start. There is no fuel pressure on the fuel
> rail / schrader valve. I've checked all of the fuses. I've replaced
> the fuel relay. Still no joy. Now suspect fuel pump. Any other
> suggestions? If it is the fuel pump, what is a reasonable repair cost
> estimate and what would be required to replace the fuel pump?

Sounds familiar. '97 Explorer, V6, 4WD.
Same symptoms as yours. I also bypassed the fuel shutoff switch, and then
checked the voltages under the rear end at the plug going to the fuel tank
harness. Everything checked out.
Had to have it towed in. Fuel pump alone was $400, plus $200 to drop the
tank and replace it.
Old November 11th 09, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
William Dawes

"William Dawes" > wrote in message
> I've got a '96 Ford Explorer V8 2WD. I parked it for lunch and now
> it will crank but will not start. There is no fuel pressure on the
> fuel rail / schrader valve. I've checked all of the fuses. I've
> replaced the fuel relay. Still no joy. Now suspect fuel pump. Any
> other suggestions? If it is the fuel pump, what is a reasonable
> repair cost estimate and what would be required to replace the fuel
> pump?

It was fuel pump. Ford dealer wanted $800+ just to R&R fuel pump.
Firestone wanted $507 to R&R fuel pump and fuel filter.
Firestone was close to the house, fast, and the same tech that
worked on my truck has worked on it before and has been there for
several years.

Old November 11th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:58:17 -0600, "William Dawes"
> wrote:

>"William Dawes" > wrote in message
>> I've got a '96 Ford Explorer V8 2WD. I parked it for lunch and now
>> it will crank but will not start. There is no fuel pressure on the
>> fuel rail / schrader valve. I've checked all of the fuses. I've
>> replaced the fuel relay. Still no joy. Now suspect fuel pump. Any
>> other suggestions? If it is the fuel pump, what is a reasonable
>> repair cost estimate and what would be required to replace the fuel
>> pump?
>>

> It was fuel pump. Ford dealer wanted $800+ just to R&R fuel pump.
> Firestone wanted $507 to R&R fuel pump and fuel filter.
> Firestone was close to the house, fast, and the same tech that
>worked on my truck has worked on it before and has been there for
>several years.

WOW you found an honest Firestone shop!!! Rarer then chicken teeth.
Old November 13th 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
William Dawes

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:58:17 -0600, "William Dawes"
> > wrote:
>

>>"William Dawes" > wrote in message
>>> I've got a '96 Ford Explorer V8 2WD. I parked it for lunch and
>>> now
>>> it will crank but will not start. There is no fuel pressure on the
>>> fuel rail / schrader valve. I've checked all of the fuses. I've
>>> replaced the fuel relay. Still no joy. Now suspect fuel pump.
>>> Any
>>> other suggestions? If it is the fuel pump, what is a reasonable
>>> repair cost estimate and what would be required to replace the
>>> fuel
>>> pump?
>>>

>> It was fuel pump. Ford dealer wanted $800+ just to R&R fuel pump.
>> Firestone wanted $507 to R&R fuel pump and fuel filter.
>> Firestone was close to the house, fast, and the same tech that
>>worked on my truck has worked on it before and has been there for
>>several years.
>>

> WOW you found an honest Firestone shop!!! Rarer then chicken teeth.

Well, I don't go in to Firestone totally blind. As stated above, I
checked everything that I could think of
checking. The Check Engine light was on as I was driving my truck
home. I wasn't on prior to this event. I hooked up a Car Chip and
determined it was an EGR problem. I returned to Firestone and the
tech checked out the EGR and turned off the Check Engine light with
his scanner (I could have turned off the CE light with my Car Chip)
and the CE light has not been on since. I've had the EGR replaced
multiple times by the dealer. I've cussed at Ford many times for some
of their designs - such as putting the PCV valve to where you can't
even see in at the rear of the engine. Why not on the valve cover?

I'm going to be looking for a ~1968 pickup truck as my next vehicle -
I can't see putting $20k into an new one.