Possible to Improvise Rings and Head Gasket?

Old May 30th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Blake

Default Possible to Improvise Rings and Head Gasket?

Earlier this month, while doing smog-check maintenance, noticed that the oil
filler cap on my '89 Daihatsu Charade pops up and almost falls out when I
rev the engine from idle to 1500 rpm. Lots of smoke and oil spray.

Ok, so it's time for an overhaul. Not an insurmountable problem. I've done a
number of them. But this time something is different. I can't seem to find
the parts. Local dealers say they can't even order the parts. Best I've
turned up on-line is one dealer that can supply an oil pan gasket and
another that can supply a head gasket. No one lists the rings.

Of course, I'll keep looking for the proper parts, but as a back-up plan, I
was wondering . . .

Rings are rings, right? If I can identify another car that has the same bore
diameter (or slightly larger bore and file the ring ends to fit) and same
ring thickness, rings for that car should work. Am I overlooking something?

And what about improvising a head gasket. Is it at all possible to cut one
from sheet stock? What material would be best? McMaster Carr has an
impresive looking carbon fiber gasket material with stainless steel insert.
Or would soft copper be better?

Or maybe one of you can just recommend a parts dealer who can handle
hard-to-find parts. That would work too.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Old May 30th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On May 30, 12:43 am, "Blake" > wrote:
> Earlier this month, while doing smog-check maintenance, noticed that the oil
> filler cap on my '89 Daihatsu Charade pops up and almost falls out when I
> rev the engine from idle to 1500 rpm. Lots of smoke and oil spray.
>
> Ok, so it's time for an overhaul. Not an insurmountable problem. I've done a
> number of them. But this time something is different. I can't seem to find
> the parts. Local dealers say they can't even order the parts. Best I've
> turned up on-line is one dealer that can supply an oil pan gasket and
> another that can supply a head gasket. No one lists the rings.
>
> Of course, I'll keep looking for the proper parts, but as a back-up plan, I
> was wondering . . .
>
> Rings are rings, right? If I can identify another car that has the same bore
> diameter (or slightly larger bore and file the ring ends to fit) and same
> ring thickness, rings for that car should work. Am I overlooking something?
>
> And what about improvising a head gasket. Is it at all possible to cut one
> from sheet stock? What material would be best? McMaster Carr has an
> impresive looking carbon fiber gasket material with stainless steel insert.
> Or would soft copper be better?
>
> Or maybe one of you can just recommend a parts dealer who can handle
> hard-to-find parts. That would work too.
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Just sticking in new rings and honing the cylinders might buy you some
time on the engine, if the cylinders don't really need a rebore
(badly, anyway).

The head gasket may be more of a sticking point. If I were to make one
myself, I'd probably go for soft copper sheet of about the right
thickness. I'm known to try some wacky solutions, but hey, its all
fun.

Maybe the way to do this is look at the later daihatsu offerings and
see if one of the newer engines is basically the same as your older
one.

Dave

Old May 30th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

wrote:
> On May 30, 12:43 am, "Blake" > wrote:
>
>>Earlier this month, while doing smog-check maintenance, noticed that the oil
>>filler cap on my '89 Daihatsu Charade pops up and almost falls out when I
>>rev the engine from idle to 1500 rpm. Lots of smoke and oil spray.
>>
>>Ok, so it's time for an overhaul. Not an insurmountable problem. I've done a
>>number of them. But this time something is different. I can't seem to find
>>the parts. Local dealers say they can't even order the parts. Best I've
>>turned up on-line is one dealer that can supply an oil pan gasket and
>>another that can supply a head gasket. No one lists the rings.
>>
>>Of course, I'll keep looking for the proper parts, but as a back-up plan, I
>>was wondering . . .
>>
>>Rings are rings, right? If I can identify another car that has the same bore
>>diameter (or slightly larger bore and file the ring ends to fit) and same
>>ring thickness, rings for that car should work. Am I overlooking something?
>>
>>And what about improvising a head gasket. Is it at all possible to cut one
>>from sheet stock? What material would be best? McMaster Carr has an
>>impresive looking carbon fiber gasket material with stainless steel insert.
>>Or would soft copper be better?
>>
>>Or maybe one of you can just recommend a parts dealer who can handle
>>hard-to-find parts. That would work too.
>>
>>I'd appreciate your thoughts.

> Just sticking in new rings and honing the cylinders might buy you some
> time on the engine, if the cylinders don't really need a rebore
> (badly, anyway).
>
> The head gasket may be more of a sticking point. If I were to make one
> myself, I'd probably go for soft copper sheet of about the right
> thickness. I'm known to try some wacky solutions, but hey, its all
> fun.
>
> Maybe the way to do this is look at the later daihatsu offerings and
> see if one of the newer engines is basically the same as your older
> one.
>
> Dave

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...992%20DAIHATSU

http://www.nissan-parts-at-partspool...aihatsu/O.html

http://www.jccpiston.com/manufacturer/16780/16780.html

Bob

Old May 31st 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Blake wrote:
> Earlier this month, while doing smog-check maintenance, noticed that the oil
> filler cap on my '89 Daihatsu Charade pops up and almost falls out when I
> rev the engine from idle to 1500 rpm. Lots of smoke and oil spray.
>
> Ok, so it's time for an overhaul. Not an insurmountable problem. I've done a
> number of them. But this time something is different. I can't seem to find
> the parts. Local dealers say they can't even order the parts. Best I've
> turned up on-line is one dealer that can supply an oil pan gasket and
> another that can supply a head gasket. No one lists the rings.
>
> Of course, I'll keep looking for the proper parts, but as a back-up plan, I
> was wondering . . .
>
> Rings are rings, right? If I can identify another car that has the same bore
> diameter (or slightly larger bore and file the ring ends to fit) and same
> ring thickness, rings for that car should work. Am I overlooking something?
>
> And what about improvising a head gasket. Is it at all possible to cut one
> from sheet stock? What material would be best? McMaster Carr has an
> impresive looking carbon fiber gasket material with stainless steel insert.
> Or would soft copper be better?
>
> Or maybe one of you can just recommend a parts dealer who can handle
> hard-to-find parts. That would work too.
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Which engine? The 1.0 or the 1.3?

Rock Auto shows gaskets for the 1.0. BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0322833

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old May 31st 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Blake

"Steve W." > wrote in message ...
> Blake wrote:> Which engine? The 1.0 or the 1.3?
>
> Rock Auto shows gaskets for the 1.0. BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0322833

Mine is the 1.0L engine, so at least I can get a head gasket. $22 + $13
shipping makes me cringe, but . . .

Thanks for the pointer.

Old May 31st 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Blake

"Bob Urz" > wrote in message

> http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...992%20DAIHATSU
>
> http://www.nissan-parts-at-partspool...aihatsu/O.html
>
> http://www.jccpiston.com/manufacturer/16780/16780.html
>

> Bob

Thanks Bob,

I gather you couldn't find the rings either. At least as far as I could
tell, none of these links leads to them.

The second link seems typical of what frustrates me on the web these days.
It seems to be a big data base full of part numbers and no parts. I've spent
hours Googling for Daihatsu parts, and 99% + of the hits have no Daihatsu
parts whatsoever. The remaining 1% may have an oil filter or a spark plug,
but not much more.

Oh well.

- Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Old May 31st 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Blake

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Maybe the way to do this is look at the later daihatsu offerings and
> see if one of the newer engines is basically the same as your older
> one.
>
> Dave

The problem seems to be that Daihatsu pulled out of North America about 15
years ago, so the used parts just aren't there. Maybe mail order parts
dealers in the UK might be an option though.

Thanks!

Old May 31st 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin

Blake wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> Maybe the way to do this is look at the later daihatsu offerings and
>> see if one of the newer engines is basically the same as your older
>> one.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> The problem seems to be that Daihatsu pulled out of North America about 15
> years ago, so the used parts just aren't there. Maybe mail order parts
> dealers in the UK might be an option though.
>
> Thanks!

The only thing worse than owning an orphaned car is owning an orphaned
car that's a POS.
Old May 31st 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On May 31, 12:00 am, "Blake" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Maybe the way to do this is look at the later daihatsu offerings and
> > see if one of the newer engines is basically the same as your older
> > one.

> > Dave

> The problem seems to be that Daihatsu pulled out of North America about 15
> years ago, so the used parts just aren't there. Maybe mail order parts
> dealers in the UK might be an option though.
>
> Thanks!

Yes, UK was what I was thinking. Should have said so!

Dave

Old May 31st 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Steve Austin wrote:

> The only thing worse than owning an orphaned car

I never hear anyone complaining about owning a Packard, Duesenberg,
Cord, Auburn, Hudson, Studebaker, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, DeSoto, MG (OK,
MG owners complain but they're usually just complaining about Lucas
electricals)....

> is owning an orphaned car that's a POS.

Therein lies the rub. ;-)