Jeep VS others

Old November 23rd 04, 02:08 AM
Lon

griffin proclaimed:

> I'd honestly still have to put my money on the M5 ...even the 1/8 mile. I've
> seen the M-series first hand and have rarely seen any stock vehicle take
> them except for musclecars. They shift incredibly quickly and stick to the
> ground very well. See if you can arrange a race with an M5 and lemme know
> how it goes. I'm really curious!

OK, all kidding about the impossible task of beating an
M5 with anything other than a heavily modified Jeep,
sure--if I get to pick the road--or lack thereof.

A Grand is surprisingly quick off the line, but still wondering
how to get a truly fast launch without wheel slip.
Old November 23rd 04, 02:19 AM
DougW

Lon did pass the time by typing:

> A Grand is surprisingly quick off the line, but still wondering
> how to get a truly fast launch without wheel slip.

..practice.

Sticky tires help too. Apart from breaking them loose in
a turn or adding a bit of bleach, I could never get the
Pirelli Scorpions to smoke.

--
DougW

Old November 23rd 04, 02:19 AM
DougW

Old November 23rd 04, 03:24 PM
KokomoKid

"griffin" > wrote in message

> "Lon" > wrote in message
> > griffin proclaimed:
> >
> > > On the road, I'd like to see you race a stock BMW M3 or M5. Those M5's

> are
> > > like lightning.

> > More like dry lightning. Smokable by a Grand Cherokee without even
> > working up a sweat. Plus you can always tow 'em home with the Grand
> > after they crap out.

> I'd honestly still have to put my money on the M5 ...even the 1/8 mile.

I've
> seen the M-series first hand and have rarely seen any stock vehicle take
> them except for musclecars. They shift incredibly quickly and stick to the
> ground very well. See if you can arrange a race with an M5 and lemme know
> how it goes. I'm really curious!

Unless you're racing on ice, it wouldn't even be a contest. The M5 would be
LONG gone, even in a 1/8 mile race.

Old November 23rd 04, 03:24 PM
KokomoKid

Old November 24th 04, 02:55 AM
Steve

Dave Milne wrote:
> Can't see it remotely.
>
> Both cars weigh almost exactly 4000lb.
>
> The GC has puts out 245hp from its 5.9 litre V8,

Horsepower is irrelevant in a short acceleration contest

> and 335 lb/ft torque.

At what RPM? (hint: LOW, where it counts, and where the 4-wheel drive
can apply it to the asphalt)

>It does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds.
> That's 41 bhp / litre.

Who cares- HP/liter makes good ad copy, but doesn't mean **** in the
real world. Otherwise, the Viper wouldn't kick a Ferrari's ass.

> The M5 puts out 507 hp from its V10 engine,

irrelevant- see above.

> and 383 lb/ft torque.

At what RPM? (hint: a hell of a lot higher than the 5.9 hits its torque
peak). Stupid high-revving squirrel motors....

> De-retricted, it will reputedly do almost 205 mph

Who cares? The race was over at 1/8 mile and well under 70 mph. Of
course the Jeep can pull the M5 off the tree that the idiot driving it
200 mph wrapped it around, too.

Old November 24th 04, 02:55 AM
Steve

Old November 24th 04, 03:26 AM
Lon

Steve proclaimed:
> Dave Milne wrote:
>
>> Can't see it remotely.
>>
>> Both cars weigh almost exactly 4000lb.
>>
>> The GC has puts out 245hp from its 5.9 litre V8,

> Horsepower is irrelevant in a short acceleration contest
>
>> and 335 lb/ft torque.

> At what RPM? (hint: LOW, where it counts, and where the 4-wheel drive
> can apply it to the asphalt)

The hemi puts out that same 335 hp at about 2300-2400 rpm...and that
is just the standard hemi.
Old November 24th 04, 03:26 AM
Lon

Steve proclaimed:

Old November 24th 04, 03:28 AM
Lon

KokomoKid proclaimed:

> Unless you're racing on ice, it wouldn't even be a contest. The M5 would be
> LONG gone, even in a 1/8 mile race.

Feh. Ice not needed. Good old fashioned snow, sand, wet alkali,
or speed bumps are good enough.