Jeep VS others

Old November 22nd 04, 11:14 PM
Lon

griffin proclaimed:

> On the road, I'd like to see you race a stock BMW M3 or M5. Those M5's are
> like lightning.

More like dry lightning. Smokable by a Grand Cherokee without even
working up a sweat. Plus you can always tow 'em home with the Grand
after they crap out.

> What about an Escalade? No idea how fast they are stock, but they sure have
> alot of power. Then again ...that's a lot of vehicle to get moving.

Lotsa power !=fast. Lotsa power + low weight + gearing = fast

Old November 22nd 04, 11:56 PM
Dave Milne

Can't see it remotely.

Both cars weigh almost exactly 4000lb.

The GC has puts out 245hp from its 5.9 litre V8,
and 335 lb/ft torque. It does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds.
That's 41 bhp / litre. It has a 4 speed auto.

The M5 puts out 507 hp from its V10 engine,
and 383 lb/ft torque. It does 0-62 in 4.7 seconds.
That's 100 bhp / litre. It has a 7 speed auto.
De-retricted, it will reputedly do almost 205 mph

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old November 22nd 04, 11:56 PM
Dave Milne

Old November 23rd 04, 12:39 AM
Lon

Dave Milne proclaimed:

> Can't see it remotely.
>
> Both cars weigh almost exactly 4000lb.
>
> The GC has puts out 245hp from its 5.9 litre V8,
> and 335 lb/ft torque. It does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds.

Or 335 hp with 375 lb/ft from 5.7 litre, which if
not enough can be also had with a blueprinted 6.01
hemi of 425 hp. And that is without getting into
the crate engine upgrades possible.

> That's 41 bhp / litre. It has a 4 speed auto.

Could swear even the older grand has a 5 speed with
the V8.

Even the hemi versions are restricted to about 115, to
help keep alive the doofii unable to tell the difference
between an SUV and a Porsche.

As for 0-60 times, they don't always map that well to
the 0-30 times where low end torque, gearing, and
traction count.

Old November 23rd 04, 12:39 AM
Lon

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Old November 23rd 04, 01:44 AM
griffin

"Lon" > wrote in message
> griffin proclaimed:
>
> > On the road, I'd like to see you race a stock BMW M3 or M5. Those M5's

are
> > like lightning.

> More like dry lightning. Smokable by a Grand Cherokee without even
> working up a sweat. Plus you can always tow 'em home with the Grand
> after they crap out.

I'd honestly still have to put my money on the M5 ...even the 1/8 mile. I've
seen the M-series first hand and have rarely seen any stock vehicle take
them except for musclecars. They shift incredibly quickly and stick to the
ground very well. See if you can arrange a race with an M5 and lemme know
how it goes. I'm really curious!

--
griffin
'85 Jeep CJ-7

Old November 23rd 04, 01:44 AM
griffin

Old November 23rd 04, 02:03 AM
DougW

griffin did pass the time by typing:
> "Lon" > wrote in message
>> griffin proclaimed:
>>
>>> On the road, I'd like to see you race a stock BMW M3 or M5. Those M5's are
>>> like lightning.

>> More like dry lightning. Smokable by a Grand Cherokee without even
>> working up a sweat. Plus you can always tow 'em home with the Grand
>> after they crap out.

> I'd honestly still have to put my money on the M5 ...even the 1/8 mile. I've
> seen the M-series first hand and have rarely seen any stock vehicle take
> them except for musclecars. They shift incredibly quickly and stick to the
> ground very well. See if you can arrange a race with an M5 and lemme know
> how it goes. I'm really curious!

Some of the benefits of where I work is a collection of non cash-strapped
motorheads and a mile of fenced off dead-end road.

I've pitted the ZJ against an M5 and lost. While not as quick as the 240ZX
Twin Turbo which smoked my ass even after a five car length head start, the
M5 hauls. Honestly I'd love to fit the ZJ with a more current 4 or 5
speed auto.

Of course I challenged my friend to a race over the parking blocks but he
forfeited that one. So we called it even.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old November 23rd 04, 02:03 AM
DougW

Old November 23rd 04, 02:08 AM
Lon

griffin proclaimed:

> I'd honestly still have to put my money on the M5 ...even the 1/8 mile. I've
> seen the M-series first hand and have rarely seen any stock vehicle take
> them except for musclecars. They shift incredibly quickly and stick to the
> ground very well. See if you can arrange a race with an M5 and lemme know
> how it goes. I'm really curious!

OK, all kidding about the impossible task of beating an
M5 with anything other than a heavily modified Jeep,
sure--if I get to pick the road--or lack thereof.

A Grand is surprisingly quick off the line, but still wondering
how to get a truly fast launch without wheel slip.