Bendix ABS-10

Old November 16th 04, 10:19 PM
maxpower

If you could get that to happen, you would get all for free, good luck
"mike gray" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
> > The 3 parts that are waarranted for lifetime are, the pump,the complete

ABS
> > assembly if it is not repairable (scored cyl or if a solonoid is

bad)and
> > the piston assembly, It takes a special set of gauges to diagnois the
> > system.Normally the pump runs continuously for a couple reasons, the

piston
> > assembly does not hold pressure (recall part), the pump is bad (also

recall
> > part) or if the low side filter is stopped up (not recall part), if the
> > accumulator is at fault it will not hold pressure and everytime you hit

the
> > brake pedal the pump will kick on (not a recall part).If chrysler does

pay
> > for the parts that are bad, I highly recommend replacing the low side

filter
> > and the dual function pressure switch if you plan on keeping the

vehicle,

Old November 16th 04, 11:01 PM
mike gray

maxpower wrote:

> If you could get that to happen, you would get all for free, good luck
>>
>> I take it, then, that I should try to get the dealer to condemn the
>> whole unit to get it replaced under warantee?

No such luck. It's gonna cost me $500. Dealer said they'd replace the
whole unit for $1700.

Remember when a master cylinder rebuild kit cost $7.50?

Technology sucks!

Old November 16th 04, 11:01 PM
mike gray

Old November 17th 04, 09:36 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"mike gray" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
>
> > If you could get that to happen, you would get all for free, good luck
> >>
> >> I take it, then, that I should try to get the dealer to condemn the
> >> whole unit to get it replaced under warantee?

> No such luck. It's gonna cost me $500. Dealer said they'd replace the
> whole unit for $1700.
>
> Remember when a master cylinder rebuild kit cost $7.50?
>
> Technology sucks!

Well, once you get the thing running and it saves your ass on a wet street,
then come back and tell us how much better the 4-wheel drum brake
setups are. ;-)

$500 isn't bad if the purchase price of the Caravan wasn't that high,
and the body is straight.

Ted

Old November 17th 04, 09:36 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

Old November 17th 04, 02:16 PM
mike gray

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> Remember when a master cylinder rebuild kit cost $7.50?
>>
>> Technology sucks!
>>

> Well, once you get the thing running and it saves your ass on a wet street,
> then come back and tell us how much better the 4-wheel drum brake
> setups are. ;-)

It has drums at the rear anyway, which is no big deal as the rears do
nothing but go along for the ride.

ABS will stop shorter than locked wheels, but longer than a properly
modulated pedal. It is only handy for drivers that panic.

> $500 isn't bad if the purchase price of the Caravan wasn't that high,
> and the body is straight.

Yeah, other than the stoppers the van is in pretty good shape. It just
grinds me that a system that should be - and can be - extremely simple
and reliable is a monstrously complicated leaky unrepairable unreliable pos.

F1 is the most sophisticated automotive technology on the planet. Take a
look at the brakes. Other than 4 pot calipers and carbon rotors, it's
the same system I was racing with in the early '60s.

Technology sucks.

Old November 17th 04, 02:16 PM
mike gray

Old November 17th 04, 06:08 PM
maxpower

I agree Ted but this was a **** poor designed system from the start, The
hydraulic pressure in the pump and piston was always under 2000psi, vehicle
running or not, underhood temperatures and all the elements caused this
system to fail miserably, in 94 we had the bendix 4 come out, that was
pressure on demand and I have seen very few problems

Old November 17th 04, 06:08 PM
maxpower

Old November 17th 04, 11:16 PM
Matt Whiting

mike gray wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>>> Remember when a master cylinder rebuild kit cost $7.50?
>>>
>>> Technology sucks!
>>>

>> Well, once you get the thing running and it saves your ass on a wet
>> street,
>> then come back and tell us how much better the 4-wheel drum brake
>> setups are. ;-)

> It has drums at the rear anyway, which is no big deal as the rears do
> nothing but go along for the ride.
>
> ABS will stop shorter than locked wheels, but longer than a properly
> modulated pedal. It is only handy for drivers that panic.

Except that only the best of professional race drivers can modulate
their brakes with sufficient competence to beat ABS. And then only on a
perfect surface. Put one side of the car on pavement and the other on
wet pavement, snow, ice, etc. and ABS will win every time.

>> $500 isn't bad if the purchase price of the Caravan wasn't that high,
>> and the body is straight.

> Yeah, other than the stoppers the van is in pretty good shape. It just
> grinds me that a system that should be - and can be - extremely simple
> and reliable is a monstrously complicated leaky unrepairable unreliable
> pos.
>
> F1 is the most sophisticated automotive technology on the planet. Take a
> look at the brakes. Other than 4 pot calipers and carbon rotors, it's
> the same system I was racing with in the early '60s.
>
> Technology sucks.

No, most technology is fine. Some isn't, but most is. What sucks is
the fact that most people don't understand it.

Matt