Battery cables reversed.

Old February 6th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J J

Default Battery cables reversed.

If the battery cables are reversed just long enough to make the spark (1
second) what are the consequences? Is there a fuse fusible link that
is suppose to burn out?

Are there items that might of been damaged? If damaged would it be
immediate? Are there items I should check?

Thanks

Old February 6th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

J J wrote:
> If the battery cables are reversed just long enough to make the spark (1
> second) what are the consequences? Is there a fuse fusible link that
> is suppose to burn out?
>
> Are there items that might of been damaged? If damaged would it be
> immediate? Are there items I should check?

That's just enough time to destroy anything electronic on the car. The
only thing to do is to connect the battery correctly, and if nothing
smokes then test everything. USUALLY people get lucky and little or no
harm is done.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Old February 6th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TomO[_1_]

J J wrote:
> If the battery cables are reversed just long enough to make the spark (1
> second) what are the consequences? Is there a fuse fusible link that
> is suppose to burn out?
>
> Are there items that might of been damaged? If damaged would it be
> immediate? Are there items I should check?
>
> Thanks

Murphy's fifth law of electronics states that A $400.00 part will always
sacrifice itself to save the life of a $0.25 fuse.

But maybe you came out OK?

--
TomO
Old February 6th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I think Hammacher Schlemmer company www.hammacher.com sells some
sort of computerized smart battery jumper cables.You can't hook them up
wrong.Best thing though,just be extra carefull and never hook up any
battery jumper cables wrong.I once read about a ''trick'' many years
ago.A guy out in the boonies in cold weather,his battery was low and no
one around to jump his battery off.He hooked up his battery cables to
the battery and the other end of the cables,he touched them together a
few times.That warmed up his battery enough so that his vehicle cranked
up.
cuhulin

Old February 6th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

wrote:
> I think Hammacher Schlemmer company
www.hammacher.com sells some
> sort of computerized smart battery jumper cables.You can't hook them up
> wrong.Best thing though,just be extra carefull and never hook up any
> battery jumper cables wrong.I once read about a ''trick'' many years
> ago.A guy out in the boonies in cold weather,his battery was low and no
> one around to jump his battery off.He hooked up his battery cables to
> the battery and the other end of the cables,he touched them together a
> few times.That warmed up his battery enough so that his vehicle cranked
> up.
> cuhulin

You can get the same effect on a "low" but not "dead" battery by putting
the headlights on for a few seconds. Of course you don't get the cool
sparky sparky action.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 6th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Nate Nagel wrote:
> wrote:

> You can get the same effect on a "low" but not "dead" battery by putting
> the headlights on for a few seconds. Of course you don't get the cool
> sparky sparky action.

Or welding....

Old February 6th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:16:24 -0600, clifto > wrote:

>J J wrote:
>> If the battery cables are reversed just long enough to make the spark (1
>> second) what are the consequences? Is there a fuse fusible link that
>> is suppose to burn out?
>>
>> Are there items that might of been damaged? If damaged would it be
>> immediate? Are there items I should check?

>That's just enough time to destroy anything electronic on the car. The

That's assuming there's no battery installed. If there's a battery, the
voltage won't go negative. The battery will explode and the battery cables
will melt before that'll happen.
Old February 6th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Calvin

On Feb 6, 3:50 pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I think Hammacher Schlemmer company www.hammacher.com sells some
> > sort of computerized smart battery jumper cables.You can't hook them up
> > wrong.Best thing though,just be extra carefull and never hook up any
> > battery jumper cables wrong.I once read about a ''trick'' many years
> > ago.A guy out in the boonies in cold weather,his battery was low and no
> > one around to jump his battery off.He hooked up his battery cables to
> > the battery and the other end of the cables,he touched them together a
> > few times.That warmed up his battery enough so that his vehicle cranked
> > up.
> > cuhulin

> You can get the same effect on a "low" but not "dead" battery by putting
> the headlights on for a few seconds. Of course you don't get the cool
> sparky sparky action.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

I once ran my battery down so far that it wouldn't start. I noticed
that I had left the lights on when I went out to get my lunch at
noon. I was parked in the shade, so I rolled the truck out into the
sun and it started right up when I left that night. Some times you
get lucky.

Old February 6th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

AZ Nomad wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:16:24 -0600, clifto > wrote:
>
> >J J wrote:
> >> If the battery cables are reversed just long enough to make the spark (1
> >> second) what are the consequences? Is there a fuse fusible link that
> >> is suppose to burn out?
> >>
> >> Are there items that might of been damaged? If damaged would it be
> >> immediate? Are there items I should check?

> >That's just enough time to destroy anything electronic on the car. The

> That's assuming there's no battery installed. If there's a battery, the
> voltage won't go negative. The battery will explode and the battery cables
> will melt before that'll happen.

The OP didn't explain what "battery cables are reversed" means. Was he
attempting to jump the battery incorrectly or was he installing the
battery incorrectly?

-jim

Old February 6th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
alan &marge pepper[_7_]

you can fry the alt.
alt. has dioles that allows the currant to flow in one direction.
when you reverse that current you short them out, and they blow.
and your alt. will not work. it may work a little but not enough to
carry the requirer amperage.
the diole can also cause your batt to go dead if it shorts it self out.

the same gos for the regulater'
believe it or not it a fact. ps. it can damage the computor also

--
alan &marge pepper
alan &marge pepper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=489288

http://www.automotiveforums.com