Cost for crank angle sensor

Old November 28th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
spasmous

Default Cost for crank angle sensor

I have a Mazda Protoge 1994 model which failed to start, so I took it
to the garage. They told me the problem is the crank angle sensor and
that no-one makes that part - I have to replace the distributor which
is 450 dollars plus labor/tax making 650 in total. When working(!) the
car is worth 1200 (Blue Book value).

I'm a bit of a novice about cars and wanted to hear opinions on this
situation. Has anyone faced the problem before - know of any other
(preferably cheaper) options?

Old November 28th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

I was thinking this car shared the miata engine, the term Crank Angle Sensor
is sometimes used interchangeably with the term Cam Angle Sensor. Several
things seem odd to me. The CAS is pretty common for the miatas/protégés?
Miata's don't have distributers, does your car have a distributor (round
shaped plastic cap that the spark plug wires exit out of when heading to the
plugs)? Miata parts, if interchangeable, are usually plentiful / cheap.
Hopefully someone here can confirm a couple of those things.

Good luck,
Chris
99BBB

oups.com...

Old November 28th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

i suppose the mechanic also said that they would be willing to buy the car
from you...
check out www.rockauto.com as they have several distributors to choose from
ranging from $175-$250. i know a garage is entitled to some markup but not
100%. i don't see much reason to install an expensive oem part in this car
if that is what the mechanic is suggesting (as implied by that price) but if
it is not oem then they are just trying to rip you off. take it to another
mechanic.

oups.com...

Old November 28th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dan Fraser

On my 02 Miata I paid a local garage $120 for the sensor and 1 labor hour to
get it installed.

The dealer wanted $400 for the same job.

Old November 28th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS

I have experience with 1997/98 Proteges. They have a distributor which
is driven by one of the cams. Rotor, cap, wires...it's all there. No
points, though.

I don't know much about the 1994 versions. I think that was what they
call the "gen1" Protege.

Ken

Old November 28th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mal Osborne

Do you have wreckers whereever you live? Distributor is usually fairly
simple to replace, and a second hand one should be cheap.

oups.com...

Old November 28th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

"Mal Osborne" > wrote in message
> Do you have wreckers

I'm assuming "wreckers" is an Aussie term for our "junkyard" ?
correct me if I'm wrong, please....

Old November 29th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

He's referring to tow trucks I think. You know, get it home and fix it
yourself.

Chris
99BBB

Old November 29th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Justin

No "wreckers" is what we call a wrecking yard here in Oz, Junkyard for
others I believe.

Old November 29th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

That's funny! You know it 'works' either way :-)

Chris
99BBB

"Justin" <.> wrote in message
> No "wreckers" is what we call a wrecking yard here in Oz, Junkyard for
> others I believe.
>

> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> | He's referring to tow trucks I think. You know, get it home and fix it
> | yourself.
> |
> | Chris
> | 99BBB
> |
> | "Remove This" > wrote in message

> | > I'm assuming "wreckers" is an Aussie term for our "junkyard" ?
> | > correct me if I'm wrong, please....

Cost to Drive a Mustang (2005) Max C. Webster III Ford Mustang 25 November 8th 05 11:03 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM
1.8 Miata Crank Angle Sensor Marty Mazda 5 March 18th 05 03:44 PM
Climatronic Diagnostic Controls Luís Lourenço Audi 1 November 12th 04 08:22 AM