Strange worrying problems..can anyone please advise ?

Old November 10th 05, 11:21 PM
VW Internet

Default Strange worrying problems..can anyone please advise ?

Hi there.
My buddy has a Golf GTi 2.0 8V, M reg, he has just had a car
alarm fitted.
But he told me that when the guy came to pick the car up, it wouldnt start,
and it stalled, a couple of times,
The car had been sitting for a day or so.
when the car alarm fitter came to deliver the car.

The petrol was very low, whether that is of any relevance, would it suck up
rubbish ?
When he filled up with petrol, it didnt seem to stall after that.

1. Also the worrying thing is, that the Rev Counter has stuck on 20,000 even
when the car is switched off,
but seems to go higher when driving the car, so it seems everything is
+20, is that just a sticking cable?

2. The MPG computer display is ver inaccurate, it says 40 Miles per gallon,
when you toggle through the options
on the wind screen wiper stalk.
3. Also the idle speed on the Rev counter is very jerky?

I am sorry to ask all these questions, but the guy is worried,

The big question is, Are these cars reliable?

Any help is appreciated, thanks very much.

Old November 10th 05, 11:43 PM
VW Internet

Hi,
I was just reading this site
http://www.actionsalvage.com/autocomputerrepair.asp and the symptoms relate
to an ECU.
Not necessarily faulty, but could something have been disturbed ?
Why would the MPG and other related readings, be wrong?

Thanks

Old November 11th 05, 12:58 AM
Jon B

VW Internet > wrote:

> Hi there.
> My buddy has a Golf GTi 2.0 8V, M reg, he has just had a car
> alarm fitted.
> But he told me that when the guy came to pick the car up, it wouldnt start,
> and it stalled, a couple of times,
> The car had been sitting for a day or so.
> when the car alarm fitter came to deliver the car.
>
> The petrol was very low, whether that is of any relevance, would it suck up
> rubbish ?

Not really, regardless of how much fuel is in the tank the pickup is at
the bottom of the tank.

> When he filled up with petrol, it didnt seem to stall after that.
>
> 1. Also the worrying thing is, that the Rev Counter has stuck on 20,000 even
> when the car is switched off,
> but seems to go higher when driving the car, so it seems everything is
> +20, is that just a sticking cable?

20,000? high rev counter. Sounds like something has been dislodged,
earthed out or something, anyway the electrician has disturbed
something.

> 2. The MPG computer display is ver inaccurate, it says 40 Miles per gallon,
> when you toggle through the options
> on the wind screen wiper stalk.

It works on vacuum, has the electrician dislodged the hose while he was
fitting the alarm. Mind you my 8v says 42mph while it gets regularly
closer 32mpg, I don't worry about that.

> 3. Also the idle speed on the Rev counter is very jerky?

See note on 1.

> I am sorry to ask all these questions, but the guy is worried,
>

> The big question is, Are these cars reliable?

The cars are doesn't sound like your electrician is
--
Jon B
real email to usenet at jonbradbury dot com
Old November 11th 05, 01:10 AM
VW Internet

Hi Jon B,
Your to the rescue again with your suggestions :-)

I am wondering , because the battery might have been disconnected, do u
think the ECU is confused ?

Thanks

news:1h5u7sy.1jceky017t29f8N%black.hole@jonbradbur y.com...

Old November 11th 05, 01:40 AM
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Only if it's running Windows software!

Old November 11th 05, 01:31 PM
Jon B

Lost In Space/Woodchuck > wrote:

> Only if it's running Windows software!

Even better that came from you than me Take it back they've boobed
somewhere, the ECU etc could be unrelated, there are issues to be sorted
get them on the car asap before they have a delay which means they can
blame others for the faults.

> "VW Internet" > wrote in message
> > Hi Jon B,
> > Your to the rescue again with your suggestions :-)
> >
> > I am wondering , because the battery might have been disconnected, do u
> > think the ECU is confused ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Jon B" > wrote in message
> > news:1h5u7sy.1jceky017t29f8N%black.hole@jonbradbur y.com...

> > car

> > start,

> > up
> >>
> >> Not really, regardless of how much fuel is in the tank the pickup is at
> >> the bottom of the tank.

> > even

> > is
> >> >
> >> 20,000? high rev counter. Sounds like something has been dislodged,
> >> earthed out or something, anyway the electrician has disturbed
> >> something.

> > gallon,
> >>
> >> It works on vacuum, has the electrician dislodged the hose while he was
> >> fitting the alarm. Mind you my 8v says 42mph while it gets regularly
> >> closer 32mpg, I don't worry about that.

> >> See note on 1.

> >> The cars are doesn't sound like your electrician is
> >> --
> >> Jon B
> >> real email to usenet at jonbradbury dot com

--
Jon B
real email to usenet at jonbradbury dot com

92 Honda Accord station wagon with EFI start up problems kathleen williamson Honda 10 August 16th 05 04:16 AM
Strange E46 AC Problems Tom Korth BMW 0 May 12th 05 12:43 AM
VW Problems website [email protected] VW air cooled 5 March 13th 05 09:31 PM
various problems with my MX nytrex Mazda 6 February 7th 05 07:08 PM
These problems normal for a 5-year-old Saturn? Philip Nasadowski Saturn 7 August 30th 04 03:55 AM