One More Power-Steering related Question

Old January 2nd 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

Default One More Power-Steering related Question

Now that I'm driving a car with conventional power steering, I'd like
to ask this:

Are there any LEGAL and SAFE ways to modify any conventional hydraulic
PS system to reduce the amount of assist it generates, even if only
moderately??

-CC
Old January 2nd 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Jan 2, 4:28*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> Now that I'm driving a car with conventional power steering, I'd like
> to ask this:
>
> Are there any LEGAL and SAFE ways to modify any conventional hydraulic
> PS system to reduce the amount of assist it generates, even if only
> moderately??
>
> -CC

I believe that there are kits to modify the pressure relief valve of
an old style GM power steering pump, as it is very common to build a
street rod with a Pinto/Mustang II front suspension and SBC power.
The Pinto rack requires less line pressure than a GM steering box.

nate
Old January 3rd 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Jan 2, 4:48*pm, N8N > wrote:
> On Jan 2, 4:28*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
>
> > Now that I'm driving a car with conventional power steering, I'd like
> > to ask this:

> > Are there any LEGAL and SAFE ways to modify any conventional hydraulic
> > PS system to reduce the amount of assist it generates, even if only
> > moderately??

> > -CC

> I believe that there are kits to modify the pressure relief valve of
> an old style GM power steering pump, as it is very common to build a
> street rod with a Pinto/Mustang II front suspension and SBC power.
> The Pinto rack requires less line pressure than a GM steering box.
>
> nate

__________________
So basically, if I'd gone to PS-101 like a good boy, less hydraulic
pressure=less assist, correct? So fundamentally what's needed is
either a faster-acting PRV, or, a safe method of reducing the existing
power-steering system's total measurable volume/fluid capacity.

-CC
Old January 3rd 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_2_]

"ChrisCoaster" > wrote in message
> Now that I'm driving a car with conventional power steering, I'd like
> to ask this:
>
> Are there any LEGAL and SAFE ways to modify any conventional hydraulic
> PS system to reduce the amount of assist it generates, even if only
> moderately??
>
> -CC

Chris, here's an informative article on a $20-modification to a 1998
Lexus 400 that makes the ps assist variable. Bear in mind that any mods
should be done ONLY by someone who fully understands the system(s) AND the
dangers involved. As in all driveability changes, the foremost guide should
be SAFETY. But, this shows it can be done. HTH, s

Old January 3rd 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Jan 2, 9:35*pm, "sdlomi2" > wrote:
> "ChrisCoaster" > wrote in message

> > Now that I'm driving a car with conventional power steering, I'd like
> > to ask this:

> > Are there any LEGAL and SAFE ways to modify any conventional hydraulic
> > PS system to reduce the amount of assist it generates, even if only
> > moderately??

> > -CC

> * * Chris, here's an informative article on a $20-modification to a 1998
> Lexus 400 that makes the ps assist variable. *Bear in mind that any mods
> should be done ONLY by someone who fully understands the system(s) AND the
> dangers involved. *As in all driveability changes, the foremost guide should
> be SAFETY. *But, this shows it can be done. *HTH, s
>

> >> *http://autospeed.com/A_110778/cms/article.html*<<<- Hide quoted text -

______________________
Hey I'm the goober who posted that very article here in the first
place. #one, it's for modifying ELECTRICAL variable assist, and #two,
it got shot down here like a Zero over Pearl Harbor when I first
posted it.

I don't want ANY powersteering suggestions from autospeed - they can
have them!

-CC
Old January 3rd 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_2_]

>snip<
Hey I'm the goober who posted that very article here in the first
place. #one, it's for modifying ELECTRICAL variable assist, and #two,
it got shot down here like a Zero over Pearl Harbor when I first
posted it.

I don't want ANY powersteering suggestions from autospeed - they can
have them!

-CC

Sorry. I just wanted to point out a 'positive-sounding' project. PS:
As technical as you seem to be, you probably already know a variable
pressure valve does for a hydraulic circuit what a variable resistor does
for electrical circuits; and series, parallel, and complex circuits have
quite similar basic "flow" theory. Would have aided us in helping you to
know exactly what vehicle you were referring to. Luck with your future
projects! s

Old January 3rd 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Jan 2, 10:09*pm, "sdlomi2" > wrote:
> >snip<

> Hey I'm the goober who posted that very article here in the first
> place. *#one, it's for modifying ELECTRICAL variable assist, and #two,
> it got shot down here like a Zero over Pearl Harbor when I first
> posted it.
>
> I don't want ANY powersteering suggestions from autospeed - they can
> have them!
>
> -CC
>
> * * Sorry. *I just wanted to point out a 'positive-sounding' project. *PS:
> As technical as you seem to be, you probably already know a variable
> pressure valve does for a hydraulic circuit what a variable resistor does
> for electrical circuits; and series, parallel, and complex circuits have
> quite similar basic "flow" theory. Would have aided us in helping you to
> know exactly what vehicle you were referring to. *Luck with your future
> projects! *s

________________
2008 Kia Optima. I'm coming from an '05 Malibu with the electric
assist. Thing was awful.
Optima already has "optimal" steering dynamics coupled with more than
enough road fee, just want to reduce the boost by a small amount so
that it's very aggressive(for a sedan) 4.0degree+ caster can display
it's full effect. (The Malibu Caster was speced 2.5 - 3.5 degrees, and
my particular example was 3.1deg.)
There's very little tech documentation on these KIAs as far as PS is
concerned though.

-CC
Old January 3rd 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Jan 2, 10:16*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> On Jan 2, 10:09*pm, "sdlomi2" > wrote:
>

> > >snip<

> > Hey I'm the goober who posted that very article here in the first
> > place. *#one, it's for modifying ELECTRICAL variable assist, and #two,
> > it got shot down here like a Zero over Pearl Harbor when I first
> > posted it.

> > I don't want ANY powersteering suggestions from autospeed - they can
> > have them!

> > -CC

> > * * Sorry. *I just wanted to point out a 'positive-sounding' project. *PS:
> > As technical as you seem to be, you probably already know a variable
> > pressure valve does for a hydraulic circuit what a variable resistor does
> > for electrical circuits; and series, parallel, and complex circuits have
> > quite similar basic "flow" theory. Would have aided us in helping you to
> > know exactly what vehicle you were referring to. *Luck with your future
> > projects! *s

> ________________
> 2008 Kia Optima. *I'm coming from an '05 Malibu with the electric
> assist. Thing was awful.
> Optima already has "optimal" steering dynamics coupled with more than
> enough road fee, just want to reduce the boost by a small amount so
> that it's very aggressive(for a sedan) 4.0degree+ caster can display
> it's full effect. (The Malibu Caster was speced 2.5 - 3.5 degrees, and
> my particular example was 3.1deg.)
> There's very little tech documentation on these KIAs as far as PS is
> concerned though.
>
> -CC- Hide quoted text -

_______________________
Guess my cat must've gotten all your tongues - or the cables to your
keyboards.

Doing some reasearch on "smaller power steering pumps", I ran into
this:

http://www.woodwardsteering.com/powers2.htm

About halfway down the page, it discusses the effect of - and
modifying the size of - something called a "torsion bar" in the PS
system, possibly running into the PS pump itself. Apparently, a
thicker bar reduces pressure flow between the chambers, which by
inverse relation INCREASES the amount of steering effort required from
the DRIVER, and a thinner diameter bar increase inter-chamber flow,
which by direct action increases pressure and power steering assist.

If the 2006.5 - present Optimas utilize this technology in their PS
pumps, would this be a possible solution to my desire for "heavier"
steering?

-CC
Old January 4th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
golden oldie

On Jan 3, 3:36*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:

> > > Hey I'm the goober who posted that very article here in the first
> > > place. *#one, it's for modifying ELECTRICAL variable assist, and #two,
> > > it got shot down here like a Zero over Pearl Harbor when I first
> > > posted it.

> > > I don't want ANY powersteering suggestions from autospeed - they can
> > > have them!

> > > -CC

> > > * * Sorry. *I just wanted to point out a 'positive-sounding' project. *PS:
> > > As technical as you seem to be, you probably already know a variable
> > > pressure valve does for a hydraulic circuit what a variable resistor does
> > > for electrical circuits; and series, parallel, and complex circuits have
> > > quite similar basic "flow" theory. Would have aided us in helping you to
> > > know exactly what vehicle you were referring to. *Luck with your future
> > > projects! *s

> > ________________
> > 2008 Kia Optima. *I'm coming from an '05 Malibu with the electric
> > assist. Thing was awful.
> > Optima already has "optimal" steering dynamics coupled with more than
> > enough road fee, just want to reduce the boost by a small amount so
> > that it's very aggressive(for a sedan) 4.0degree+ caster can display
> > it's full effect. (The Malibu Caster was speced 2.5 - 3.5 degrees, and
> > my particular example was 3.1deg.)
> > There's very little tech documentation on these KIAs as far as PS is
> > concerned though.

> > -CC- Hide quoted text -

> _______________________
> Guess my cat must've gotten all your tongues - or the cables to your
> keyboards.
>
> Doing some reasearch on "smaller power steering pumps", I ran into
> this:
>
> http://www.woodwardsteering.com/powers2.htm
>
> About halfway down the page, it discusses the effect of - and
> modifying the size of - something called a "torsion bar" in the PS
> system, possibly running into the PS pump itself. *Apparently, a
> thicker bar reduces pressure flow between the chambers, which by
> inverse relation INCREASES the amount of steering effort required from
> the DRIVER, and a thinner diameter bar increase inter-chamber flow,
> which by direct action increases pressure and power steering assist.
>
> If the 2006.5 - present Optimas utilize this technology in their PS
> pumps, would this be a possible solution to my desire for "heavier"
> steering?
>
> -CC

The torsion bar referred to is in the control valve in the rack, not
in the pump. Basically it changes amount of fluid flow to reduce or
increase the amount of assist. If you flunked PS 101 I would not
advise trying to Re&Re a rack and modify it.

chris
Old January 5th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Jan 4, 6:05*pm, golden oldie > wrote:
> On Jan 3, 3:36*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:

> > > ________________
> > > 2008 Kia Optima. *I'm coming from an '05 Malibu with the electric
> > > assist. Thing was awful.
> > > Optima already has "optimal" steering dynamics coupled with more than
> > > enough road fee, just want to reduce the boost by a small amount so
> > > that it's very aggressive(for a sedan) 4.0degree+ caster can display
> > > it's full effect. (The Malibu Caster was speced 2.5 - 3.5 degrees, and
> > > my particular example was 3.1deg.)
> > > There's very little tech documentation on these KIAs as far as PS is
> > > concerned though.

> > > -CC- Hide quoted text -

> > _______________________
> > Guess my cat must've gotten all your tongues - or the cables to your
> > keyboards.

> > Doing some reasearch on "smaller power steering pumps", I ran into
> > this:

> >http://www.woodwardsteering.com/powers2.htm

> > About halfway down the page, it discusses the effect of - and
> > modifying the size of - something called a "torsion bar" in the PS
> > system, possibly running into the PS pump itself. *Apparently, a
> > thicker bar reduces pressure flow between the chambers, which by
> > inverse relation INCREASES the amount of steering effort required from
> > the DRIVER, and a thinner diameter bar increase inter-chamber flow,
> > which by direct action increases pressure and power steering assist.

> > If the 2006.5 - present Optimas utilize this technology in their PS
> > pumps, would this be a possible solution to my desire for "heavier"
> > steering?

> > -CC

> The torsion bar referred to is in the control valve in the rack, not
> in the pump. Basically it changes amount of fluid flow to reduce or
> increase the amount of assist. If you flunked PS 101 I would not
> advise trying to Re&Re a rack and modify it.
>
> chris- Hide quoted text -

_________________________
Well, aside from modification, how about fitting a lower-capacity-than-
specified PS Pump? Or, as I read on another site, but not quite
understanding: Some modification of the pulleys & belts so as to slow
down the power steering pump and AC to gain horsepower at the engine?

What I'm aiming at here is: These stock systems are not completely set
in stone. They can be safely and legally modified to achieve desired
results, or swapped out altogether.

Any thoughts?

-CC

Power steering question j Technology 4 July 29th 07 01:10 AM
'98 XJ Power Steering question 98XJ Jeep 2 April 22nd 07 08:43 PM
Just a Question about power steering [email protected] Technology 4 February 13th 07 01:14 PM
del Sol Power Steering Question Front Office Honda 7 July 30th 06 02:20 PM
power steering pump question? [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 January 29th 06 11:27 PM